Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time for the 4th engine in my 2017 CVO Limited... here we go again!

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 01:25 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,474 Likes on 1,353 Posts

Originally Posted by jjkrueg
Thanks. I just assumed that all 2017 bikes went to the M8 motors.
Far from it; only the Touring bikes went to the M8 in 2017. The Softails, the Sportsters, the Streets, and the V-Rod all had their own different motor lines.

Old 05-23-2018, 01:37 PM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,527 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Originally Posted by FatBob2018
That's the million-dollar question. We don't know. But he's not the only one. There's another guy here who's gone through three. And on the CVOHarley forum I think there's some guy who's gone through six.

It defies logic. There has to be something specific to these cases that causes this to happen... just has to be. Something different about the particular bike that somehow is affecting sumping (road harmonics? bad oil cooler? Brakes dragging so it's putting unnecessary strain on the engine at all times? I don't know).

The issue also seems related to performance upgrades. Yes, it CAN happen to any M8, but based on the reports we've seen, it seems to happen most to big CVO engines, and to Stage IV. Heatwave had a perfectly running M8 for a while, stock, but once going back to Stage IV it sumped again.

There should be about 250,000 M8s on the road now. Badcooky reported that HD Australia told them that a grand total of 1.2% of bikes had sumped, and that the problem was almost entirely confined to 2017s. We know that it's not exclusive to 2017s. Almost all of the reports are from touring bikes. Most of the reports appear to be from CVO owners, or Stage III/Stage IV owners. So will it happen to all M8s? Theoretically possible, but probable? I wouldn't think so.

For what it's worth, I got concerned enough initially that I put a 4-year Discount ESP warranty on my bike; it was $1000 and kicks in after the factory warranty ends, so six years of coverage. May be a wasted $1000, but then again, maybe not, only time will tell.
Not blaming anyone who's been through multiple motors or the same issues more than once, but I gotta think the common denominator might be riding style? Again not excusing the issues...an owner should be able to push these motors pretty hard if thats how they like to ride, but it makes you wonder.

Dont bash me too hard. lol

Old 05-23-2018, 01:40 PM
RET_SCPO
Extreme HDF Member

Received 19,651 Likes on 6,279 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
extreme paranoia is taking hold of this forum lately..go have the time of your life this Summer on your new bike..it's Live to Ride, Ride to Live..not Live to Read, Read to Live

Fair enough. Maybe the MoCo is using this guy to test different fixes.

Old 05-23-2018, 01:42 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by teedoff65
Not blaming anyone who's been through multiple motors or the same issues more than once, but I gotta think the common denominator might be riding style? Again not excusing the issues...an owner should be able to push these motors pretty hard if thats how they like to ride, but it makes you wonder.
In general, I would tend to think like that too -- especially since the issues have been acknowledged by Harley to be tied to extended high-RPM operation, and it would seem that someone who sprung for a Stage IV upgrade would be more predisposed to ride at high-RPM than other riders.

However, one of the multi-engine guys (I think it was keithhu maybe) said that in every instance of sumping so far, it's come from cruising on the highway. And he's had it happen three times to him.

The following users liked this post:
GPHDXLC (05-23-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 01:44 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by RET_SCPO
Fair enough. Maybe the MoCo is using this guy to test different fixes.
Possibly. Interesting idea actually. But it still begs the question -- why multiple engines on the same bike? It's either the rider's style, or there's something different about that bike that's causing it, right? And we have reports from different style riders, those who wring 'em out and those who just peacefully cruise... so that makes you question whether it's the individual's rider style. The other thing I put to question was the way the person's breaking in the engine, maybe they're following the owner's manual's recommendations, maybe they're following the Motoman method, maybe they're not breaking it in at all, maybe they're just riding like a madman from the beginning, right? But Heatwave has had four fail on him, and he's breaking it in textbook by the manual, so... it's a puzzler.

Testing out different fixes would only make scientific sense if the rest of the engine stayed the same, but we're talking about entire replacement engines here, and those are failing repeatedly when mounted in one particular bike (and, apparently, predominately CVOs).

Last edited by FatBob2018; 05-23-2018 at 01:46 PM.
Old 05-23-2018, 01:45 PM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 553 Likes on 381 Posts

Fingers crossed. Hopefully you blow another engine. Good luck and ride that bitch hard.

Old 05-23-2018, 01:45 PM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by FatBob2018
In general, I would tend to think like that too -- especially since the issues have been acknowledged by Harley to be tied to extended high-RPM operation, and it would seem that someone who sprung for a Stage IV upgrade would be more predisposed to ride at high-RPM than other riders.

However, one of the multi-engine guys (I think it was keithhu maybe) said that in every instance of sumping so far, it's come from cruising on the highway. And he's had it happen three times to him.
Yeah you have a good point. Although, cruising on the highway has different meanings. lol

I could see someone who LOVES HP cruising at 90mph in 5th gear, therefore rpms in the 4k range.

I'm more or less joking, but there is a correlations, as you said with guys who like power and riding style...usually. One of the guys I ride with loves performance bikes. We dont let him take the lead anymore in our group rides because he likes to try an leave us. lol

Old 05-23-2018, 02:07 PM
Heatwave
Received 1,079 Likes on 639 Posts

Originally Posted by teedoff65
Yeah you have a good point. Although, cruising on the highway has different meanings. lol

I could see someone who LOVES HP cruising at 90mph in 5th gear, therefore rpms in the 4k range.

I'm more or less joking, but there is a correlations, as you said with guys who like power and riding style...usually. One of the guys I ride with loves performance bikes. We dont let him take the lead anymore in our group rides because he likes to try an leave us. lol
Another way to look at the "correlation" is the guys that are "gentle" or novice riders have avoided sumping to date. Maybe these guys don't put alot of miles per year on their bike. Maybe they don't ride continuous from full tank to empty without stopping. Maybe they never shift to the next gear above 3500rpms.

Perhaps the real correlation is that all of these riders just haven't sumped their engine..... YET. But the day may come, on a long ride, or at altitude under load or riding 2up for the first time with their new bike or just after a long run on the highway and they need to downshift 2 gears running to 5500rpms to pass a truck.... well maybe then they'll find out about sumping. Let's hope for their sake that if it does happen, it's not before their warranty runs out.

Old 05-23-2018, 02:12 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,390 Likes on 1,561 Posts

wow good luck

Old 05-23-2018, 02:24 PM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Heatwave
Another way to look at the "correlation" is the guys that are "gentle" or novice riders have avoided sumping to date. Maybe these guys don't put alot of miles per year on their bike. Maybe they don't ride continuous from full tank to empty without stopping. Maybe they never shift to the next gear above 3500rpms.

Perhaps the real correlation is that all of these riders just haven't sumped their engine..... YET. But the day may come, on a long ride, or at altitude under load or riding 2up for the first time with their new bike or just after a long run on the highway and they need to downshift 2 gears running to 5500rpms to pass a truck.... well maybe then they'll find out about sumping. Let's hope for their sake that if it does happen, it's not before their warranty runs out.
Yeah good points. Again I wasn't blaming you or anyone who's had to deal with this issue, but merely throwing something out there.

I'm kind of in the middle myself. I enjoy my stage 2 upgrades, and by no means do I baby my bike. But I also rarely see roms higher than 4500 for anything other than a here and there fun romp with it.

Quick Reply: Time for the 4th engine in my 2017 CVO Limited... here we go again!