Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time for the 4th engine in my 2017 CVO Limited... here we go again!

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 09:07 AM
Leverlution
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
yeah, I haven't lost it either, but like I said..lost the amount of it I once had, which was basically WFO most everywhere, on and off road, my muscle cars, downhill skiing..honestly at times I reflect and think there's no way I should have lived this long
I think a lot of us have that thought

The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (05-23-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 09:27 AM
Heatwave
Received 1,079 Likes on 639 Posts

Originally Posted by Leverlution
oh for sure, but to clarify I meant have harley give you a steal on a stock bike for touring / riding and have another that's actually a scary fast bike. Or, as much as I hate to say it, wash your hands of it, ride the 110 that's running without issues, and get that a fast tourer/wait for the moco to figure it out. I love my bike, but issues are issues.

obviously they need parts to sell for profit (stage kits), and improvements to keep people upgrading down the road (oem 107 to 114 to 117 etc). We all know this. That's why we get a stock detuned 107 now and 5 years from now we will see a bulletproof stage 4 107/114 as standard. Basic business.

we also have to remember that bike sales are down in general, people my age are having a hard time making a stable homestead, let alone have toys like a bike, and they just paid out the **** for the EPA issues. Not to mention r&d and manufacturing cost to comply with the newer standards a few years away. They arent going to blow the whistle on themselves, imo. We wont know from them what the problem was for years I dont think. It'll either get fixed over night at some point and just stop being a problem quietly, or someone will be a whistle blower. Be it aftermarket or someone inside the moco etc. Again, just my opinion. Hope it works out dude. If you need anything around DC/ Baltimore during your trip, remember you got forum friends all over the place!
Hindsight can be an excellent teacher. Had I known these issues at the beginning, I probably would have expanded my palate by adding a BMW bagger to the garage instead.

Old 05-23-2018, 09:29 AM
Leverlution
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Heatwave
Hindsight can be an excellent teacher. Had I known these issues at the beginning, I probably would have expanded my palate by adding a BMW bagger to the garage instead.
for sure. No blame here. I would think at this point the option would be back on the table though heh. Assuming this 4th motor drowns itself.

Old 05-23-2018, 09:33 AM
Heatwave
Received 1,079 Likes on 639 Posts

Originally Posted by Leverlution
for sure. No blame here. I would think at this point the option would be back on the table though heh. Assuming this 4th motor drowns itself.
Please....I'm begging...don't jinx me before I even get the bike back!

Old 05-23-2018, 09:53 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,009 Likes on 4,062 Posts

Maybe the new motor has an SnS pump in it?

Old 05-23-2018, 10:10 AM
Leverlution
Cruiser

Please....I'm begging...don't jinx me before I even get the bike back!

Old 05-23-2018, 11:47 AM
jjkrueg
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Moore
I hope your saga isn't a sign of what's to come for me. I just recently purchased a 2018 CVO Street Glide and just experienced a catastrophic engine failure after only 1200 kms. The bike was still fully stock and the engine just died while cruising on the highway. Didn't hear anything unusual before it seized but could smell but oil afterwards. Now Harley has to go through the long process of investigating the failure before they will even ship a new motor to the dealership. Super bummed and disappointed that I traded in 2 perfectly good 2017 bikes with the screaming eagle 110's for what I thought was the best Harley money could buy. Lol.
Was there a screaming eagle 110 in 2017 bikes?

Old 05-23-2018, 11:53 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,365 Likes on 4,776 Posts

Originally Posted by jjkrueg
Was there a screaming eagle 110 in 2017 bikes?
they made a couple S models in the Soft Tail Slim lineup

Old 05-23-2018, 11:53 AM
bisonfan
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I too have had a sumping incident with my 17 stage iv Road Glide. I asked the dealer if I want a performance bagger should I have bought a BMW? He didn't have a response.

Old 05-23-2018, 11:54 AM
RET_SCPO
Extreme HDF Member

Received 19,651 Likes on 6,279 Posts

Originally Posted by nykn72
I feel for you man , what a crappy situation . Are all of our m8s heading down this road or is it just certain ones , and if so how the hell do you keep getting them ? If it is the old oil pump that causes the problem , why did they give you an old production new motor ? Why not give you a motor built say last month with any changes they have made to fix the problems ? Or did they ?

What are the odds of three engines all by the same person ending up with the same exact problem? My guess is that it's just a matter of time until all M8's suffer the same fate. I'm only sitting at 2600 miles and I'm wondering if I should just move onto a different bike all together. i was planning a road trip this summer but not sure I want this hanging over my head and getting stranded somewhere.

How does one person end up with three bad motors if this is a only affecting a small percentage of bikes?

The following users liked this post:
Eccool (06-17-2018)

Quick Reply: Time for the 4th engine in my 2017 CVO Limited... here we go again!