Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time for the 4th engine in my 2017 CVO Limited... here we go again!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 08:29 AM
mazz
Road Master
Received 194 Likes on 117 Posts

My 2017 CVO has 18000 miles [ 2 5ooo mile highway trips Illinois to San Diego ] you know i ran some full tanks of gas and altitude changes and 85 mph stretches no sump yet.
I don't know what makes some bikes sump and other not sump bit i am damn interested to see what Heatwaves 4 th motor does by end of summer.

from previous post............. Last sump was a brand new 2018 CVO Street Glide completely stock with 167 miles. Two days old. The Milwaukee rep wants to fix this bike. I had it two days and Harley has now had it for two weeks now. ..............................So this bike sumped never having gone over 3000 rpm if you followed breakin procedure ?????????

Old 06-11-2018, 04:32 PM
iHodor
Road Warrior
Received 442 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by r0de_runr
I bought an M8 114 inch Heritage Ann version that used more than a qt of oin in 750 miles. Didn't use any first 1000, but I followed book for break in. After than I started riding it a little harder, and did some fast Interstate runs. At 70 MPH it would use oil somewhere.....I had oil coming out of mh intake (SE HD high flow replacement) and soot on my exhausts. Never pulled the plugs.
At 2000 miles I switched to 10W60 and a K&N oil filter to get ready for RunForTheWall 6600 mile trip. Oil consumption was really bad on my test runs on the interstate. Took it to the dealer, they took it into the shop, I traded it in on a 2014 Limited so I could go on my trip.
It's still on the floor, the service manager said, and I'm quoting here: "It was that K&N oil filter, we've seen it before." They "rode it around a bit" and it's was fine. Ok.....lol....sell it to some other poor schmuck and it will be back again- unless the new owner never takes it out on the highway.

Just saying the things listed in this quoted response could well have been my problem.
In spite of your experience with the 10w-60, I would be interested to know what oil was in Heatwave's 4th motor. Was it still Syn3 20w50?

Reason for my curiosity is that at least one factor in most of the sumping bikes seems to be the motor's internal temps (and how long it took to get them there). If those temps are leading to aeration of the oil, and IF the pump is being prevented from getting that oil back for scavenging because of the aeration of it, then something as simple as a different viscosity, or even of the same viscosity but of a different brand or formula, as has been explained elsewhere concerning operating properties, could make a difference in whether or not a particular motor will sump, or possibly when it would sump with all other things being equal. I wonder if Harley is trying something along those lines either with or without additional modifications in some of these builds.

That's what I've come away thinking about after reading most every post in this thread and skimming through those that I didn't read entirely. Wouldn't it be nice if something as simple as changing the oil viscosity and/or formula could lessen the numbers of those that will sump?

Last edited by iHodor; 06-11-2018 at 04:33 PM.
Old 06-11-2018, 04:43 PM
Heatwave
Received 1,079 Likes on 639 Posts

Originally Posted by iHodor
In spite of your experience with the 10w-60, I would be interested to know what oil was in Heatwave's 4th motor. Was it still Syn3 20w50?

Reason for my curiosity is that at least one factor in most of the sumping bikes seems to be the motor's internal temps (and how long it took to get them there). If those temps are leading to aeration of the oil, and IF the pump is being prevented from getting that oil back for scavenging because of the aeration of it, then something as simple as a different viscosity, or even of the same viscosity but of a different brand or formula, as has been explained elsewhere concerning operating properties, could make a difference in whether or not a particular motor will sump, or possibly when it would sump with all other things being equal. I wonder if Harley is trying something along those lines either with or without additional modifications in some of these builds.

That's what I've come away thinking about after reading most every post in this thread and skimming through those that I didn't read entirely. Wouldn't it be nice if something as simple as changing the oil viscosity and/or formula could lessen the numbers of those that will sump?

Syn3 in all 3 holes for engine #4 (same as engines 1, 2, & 3). I really don’t get guys that want to switch oils from what the MoCo researched and designed for their engines, but to each his own. I have no interest in a lengthy oil debate so please don’t expect a response from me if thats where the next post takes this discussion. I stick to the owner’s manual for the manufacturer’s service intervals and use the oil developed and sold by the company that makes the engine it runs in. Its a very simple equation for me when it comes to oil.

Last edited by Heatwave; 06-11-2018 at 04:45 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by Heatwave:
anthony_b. (06-11-2018), DC2009EGUC (06-15-2018), mazz (06-12-2018), Michael Haz (06-11-2018), mjwebb (06-11-2018), QNman (06-12-2018) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-11-2018, 04:52 PM
iHodor
Road Warrior
Received 442 Likes on 321 Posts

My intention was not to start a debate about oil. Like you I've seen enough of those. It was just a thought, there partly because we all, including you are wondering what they did that was different on your 4th motor. Now that you've told us they used the same Syn3 that answers my question and satisfied my curiosity. And bursts that particular possibility bubble. Thanks for the quick reply. And thank you Heatwave for being responsible for getting so much good information out to all of us that may or may not experience at least part of your travails with the M8.

Last edited by iHodor; 06-11-2018 at 04:56 PM.
Old 06-11-2018, 07:15 PM
LXT
Road Master
Received 567 Likes on 346 Posts

4 engines...……..that's got to be a record? I am dumb founded as to how to even respond to hearing this - tell HD to buy that pile of garbage back & if you want performance go get the Kawasaki h2, no matter what stage you go with - HD will never touch the power & speed of the H2 & clearly you are wanting performance as many of your post state such.

Im just in wonderment as to why anyone after 4 engines would want to chance riding anywhere? clearly this bike has more shop time than road riding time - sorry but not for me! all im hearing about lately is problems with these new bikes - hopefully HD gets this fixed

Old 06-11-2018, 07:20 PM
Heatwave
Received 1,079 Likes on 639 Posts

Originally Posted by LXT
4 engines...……..that's got to be a record? I am dumb founded as to how to even respond to hearing this - tell HD to buy that pile of garbage back & if you want performance go get the Kawasaki h2, no matter what stage you go with - HD will never touch the power & speed of the H2 & clearly you are wanting performance as many of your post state such.

Im just in wonderment as to why anyone after 4 engines would want to chance riding anywhere? clearly this bike has more shop time than road riding time - sorry but not for me! all im hearing about lately is problems with these new bikes - hopefully HD gets this fixed
Thank you for the very “helpful” post.

The following 2 users liked this post by Heatwave:
Eccool (06-15-2018), QNman (06-12-2018)
Old 06-11-2018, 08:03 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,688 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by LXT

No, there are many others with even more, that's the said part of all this. I truly believe they are hoping to get these bike out of warranty and dump it onto the owner and let them worry about it when they know damn good and well it's there issue. Think about it, if there is no problem as they say, why is there new cases to fix what isn't a problem? They should supply each and every M8 owner new cases or a FREE extended warranty to cover this mess for ALL 2017 and 2018 model year owners!

Last edited by Steve Cole; 06-11-2018 at 08:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Yamaharley (06-11-2018)
Old 06-11-2018, 10:47 PM
tommy1727
Advanced
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
No, there are many others with even more, that's the said part of all this. I truly believe they are hoping to get these bike out of warranty and dump it onto the owner and let them worry about it when they know damn good and well it's there issue. Think about it, if there is no problem as they say, why is there new cases to fix what isn't a problem? They should supply each and every M8 owner new cases or a FREE extended warranty to cover this mess for ALL 2017 and 2018 model year owners!
Steve, have you confirmed the case design has been changed? If so, what has been done???

Old 06-12-2018, 10:43 AM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,688 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by tommy1727

Steve, have you confirmed the case design has been changed? If so, what has been done???
I have not personally seen any of them but Heatwave claims to have one and so do several others around the country. I have to believe there is something to it, as it's coming back from several different people. IMHO in typical MoCo fashion they will just call it running changes and it has nothing to do with engine sumpping when or if they come out to the general public.

Old 06-12-2018, 10:45 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,609 Likes on 2,727 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
I have not personally seen any of them but Heatwave claims to have one and so do several others around the country. I have to believe there is something to it, as it's coming back from several different people. IMHO in typical MoCo fashion they will just call it running changes and it has nothing to do with engine sumpping when or if they come out to the general public.
Again, if we can get our hands on the FY19 Model Year Technical Forum document after the fall dealer meetings, that will tell us a lot.

Quick Reply: Time for the 4th engine in my 2017 CVO Limited... here we go again!