Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time for the 4th engine in my 2017 CVO Limited... here we go again!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 03:04 PM
RinTin
Tourer
Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
they probably already set the first production one aside with a name tag Heatwave on the throttle grip..LOL
Actually, I have a friend of a friend of a friend that works at HD who tells me HD's already expecting Heatwave to Sump this motor so they bought him one of these...

Old 06-01-2018, 03:08 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,366 Likes on 4,777 Posts

Originally Posted by PA1195
They have a 2019 beta motor on the road right now. Heatwave is one of their best field engineers and I hope the new engine works out ok
they may unveil the 2019 engines and marketing slogan 'Feel The Heatwave'

Old 06-01-2018, 03:10 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,366 Likes on 4,777 Posts

Remember the early smokers? Reference to piston rings here: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwa...oking-m8s.html

And this article discusses the new M8 low tension thinner piston rings designed to reduce friction: https://www.revzilla.com/common-trea...ilwaukee-eight

Now we wonder if combustion chamber blowby and oil consumption may have suffered in some bikes? One consequence of excess blowby on crankcase pressure and oil: http://blog.wiseco.com/common-causes...il-consumption

Edit: The reason for putting this here is to add to the potentially multifaceted sources of the sumping...crankcase design, oil pump design, piston - ring - cylinder design and execution, piston oiler design, and maybe others. Any running changes to Heatwave's current engine would be revealing.
HOGWASH! no way all that could have made it past "1.5 million miles and 7000 hours of accelerated dyno testing" undetected..LOL

The following users liked this post:
Campy Roadie (06-11-2018)
Old 06-01-2018, 03:29 PM
Heatwave
Received 1,079 Likes on 639 Posts

Originally Posted by RinTin

Actually, I have a friend of a friend of a friend that works at HD who tells me HD's already expecting Heatwave to Sump this motor so they bought him one of these...
Can I get it with highway pegs??? LOL

Old 06-01-2018, 03:33 PM
RinTin
Tourer
Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Heatwave
Can I get it with highway pegs??? LOL
Highway pegs and a full size tourpak

Old 06-10-2018, 08:30 PM
nykn72
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Is all good now ? How's the new motor treating you ?

The following users liked this post:
GPHDXLC (06-10-2018)
Old 06-10-2018, 10:10 PM
drcollie
Tourer
Received 314 Likes on 88 Posts

Fascinating thread ......

Heatwave: HD needs to hire you to test their engines right where they are made. I kid you not. You may have the honor of trashing more M8 motors than anyone in the world. So they need you at the factory so they can see how you do it.

I have zero issues with my RGS 107, but its stock and will never have an engine mod - works great for me as a dedicated cruiser. If I want to go fast, I simply move to my BMW and take that for a ride instead.

Old 06-11-2018, 06:13 AM
Bob Coco
Intermediate
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default I'm the other guy that sumped 3 engines

Originally Posted by Heatwave
Another way to look at the "correlation" is the guys that are "gentle" or novice riders have avoided sumping to date. Maybe these guys don't put alot of miles per year on their bike. Maybe they don't ride continuous from full tank to empty without stopping. Maybe they never shift to the next gear above 3500rpms.

Perhaps the real correlation is that all of these riders just haven't sumped their engine..... YET. But the day may come, on a long ride, or at altitude under load or riding 2up for the first time with their new bike or just after a long run on the highway and they need to downshift 2 gears running to 5500rpms to pass a truck.... well maybe then they'll find out about sumping. Let's hope for their sake that if it does happen, it's not before their warranty runs out.
well put Heat Wave.
I've sumped three engines on two different bikes. So your theory of something on the bike causing it is wrong. Last sump was a brand new 2018 CVO Street Glide completely stock with 167 miles. Two days old. The Milwaukee rep wants to fix this bike. I had it two days and Harley has now had it for two weeks now. My first sump was on a stock 17CVO Street Glide as well. Second sump was a Stage IV. That sumped with 400 miles.
The Rep is flying back out on Tuesday with a magic part to install. I assume they read these forums and I don't really care any more. They won't even tell me what part they are changing and ask the shop to have a place to work where other mechanics can't see what they are doing. What they should do is just take back my bike. I got stuck paying 2,700.00 for the extended service contract on my replacement and have to wait for a refund from the pro rated refund from my 2017 extended service contract. It cost me over 5 grand to get a free replacement bike that sumped on the second day. That price included the Screaming Eagle hi flow exhaust and Street Tuner and labor to install which they haven't installed yet because it was on back order.
This email is not directed to Heat Wave but to back him up with some of you guys thinking it's his riding style. I will be going to Laconia right after getting my sumper back but will not take it on that trip. I will be on my 16 CVO Road Glide Ultra which will not sump or transfer oil and will get me there and back without a single doubt. Two up, fully packed with luggage and rain gear at 80+ m.p.h.
non stop. This is bold for a reason. Perfect sumping conditions I ride aggressive.

Aggressive doesn't mean reckless and it doesn't mean we are beating the **** out of our bikes. I have beautiful bikes that are well maintained. I also have highly modded bikes and I even own a Ural.
And if any of you know what a Ural Petrol is then you know it's not something you can go fast in. Like Heat Wave, I have other fast vehicles too. Although I think he has deeper pockets then mine. Good for you!!!
In the end, We all just want to ride.
My opinion and I'm thinking Heat Wave will agree that all CVO Milwaukee 8's can sump. As far as 107's go, I'm not sure? I did have an 18 Lowrider but only rode it on short trips and sold it with about 300 miles. It wasn't my style.
So everyone, enjoy the read and take your bike out and burn a full tank of gas at 70-80 m.p.h. and then you'll have a better idea if your bike sumps or not.

Old 06-11-2018, 07:02 AM
r0de_runr
Road Warrior

Received 596 Likes on 314 Posts

Remember the early smokers? Reference to piston rings here: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwa...oking-m8s.html

And this article discusses the new M8 low tension thinner piston rings designed to reduce friction: https://www.revzilla.com/common-trea...ilwaukee-eight

Now we wonder if combustion chamber blowby and oil consumption may have suffered in some bikes? One consequence of excess blowby on crankcase pressure and oil: http://blog.wiseco.com/common-causes...il-consumption

Edit: The reason for putting this here is to add to the potentially multifaceted sources of the sumping...crankcase design, oil pump design, piston - ring - cylinder design and execution, piston oiler design, and maybe others. Any running changes to Heatwave's current engine would be revealing.
I bought an M8 114 inch Heritage Ann version that used more than a qt of oin in 750 miles. Didn't use any first 1000, but I followed book for break in. After than I started riding it a little harder, and did some fast Interstate runs. At 70 MPH it would use oil somewhere.....I had oil coming out of mh intake (SE HD high flow replacement) and soot on my exhausts. Never pulled the plugs.
At 2000 miles I switched to 10W60 and a K&N oil filter to get ready for RunForTheWall 6600 mile trip. Oil consumption was really bad on my test runs on the interstate. Took it to the dealer, they took it into the shop, I traded it in on a 2014 Limited so I could go on my trip.
It's still on the floor, the service manager said, and I'm quoting here: "It was that K&N oil filter, we've seen it before." They "rode it around a bit" and it's was fine. Ok.....lol....sell it to some other poor schmuck and it will be back again- unless the new owner never takes it out on the highway.

Just saying the things listed in this quoted response could well have been my problem.

Old 06-11-2018, 08:05 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,010 Likes on 4,063 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Coco
well put Heat Wave.
I've sumped three engines on two different bikes. So your theory of something on the bike causing it is wrong. Last sump was a brand new 2018 CVO Street Glide completely stock with 167 miles. Two days old. The Milwaukee rep wants to fix this bike. I had it two days and Harley has now had it for two weeks now. My first sump was on a stock 17CVO Street Glide as well. Second sump was a Stage IV. That sumped with 400 miles.
The Rep is flying back out on Tuesday with a magic part to install. I assume they read these forums and I don't really care any more. They won't even tell me what part they are changing and ask the shop to have a place to work where other mechanics can't see what they are doing. What they should do is just take back my bike. I got stuck paying 2,700.00 for the extended service contract on my replacement and have to wait for a refund from the pro rated refund from my 2017 extended service contract. It cost me over 5 grand to get a free replacement bike that sumped on the second day. That price included the Screaming Eagle hi flow exhaust and Street Tuner and labor to install which they haven't installed yet because it was on back order.
This email is not directed to Heat Wave but to back him up with some of you guys thinking it's his riding style. I will be going to Laconia right after getting my sumper back but will not take it on that trip. I will be on my 16 CVO Road Glide Ultra which will not sump or transfer oil and will get me there and back without a single doubt. Two up, fully packed with luggage and rain gear at 80+ m.p.h.
non stop. This is bold for a reason. Perfect sumping conditions I ride aggressive.

Aggressive doesn't mean reckless and it doesn't mean we are beating the **** out of our bikes. I have beautiful bikes that are well maintained. I also have highly modded bikes and I even own a Ural.
And if any of you know what a Ural Petrol is then you know it's not something you can go fast in. Like Heat Wave, I have other fast vehicles too. Although I think he has deeper pockets then mine. Good for you!!!
In the end, We all just want to ride.
My opinion and I'm thinking Heat Wave will agree that all CVO Milwaukee 8's can sump. As far as 107's go, I'm not sure? I did have an 18 Lowrider but only rode it on short trips and sold it with about 300 miles. It wasn't my style.
So everyone, enjoy the read and take your bike out and burn a full tank of gas at 70-80 m.p.h. and then you'll have a better idea if your bike sumps or not.
So where is the example of riding aggressive? 80+ is not aggressive. It's keeping up with the flow of traffic in certain locals. IMO riding aggressive is the percent of time the throttle is pinned or even opened above the first 3/4 throttle. Riding constant speed is (IMO) what make these bikes sump. (tho mine don't)

Quick Reply: Time for the 4th engine in my 2017 CVO Limited... here we go again!