Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time for the 4th engine in my 2017 CVO Limited... here we go again!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 05:21 AM
billbrummett
Tourer
Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

trying not to be a contrarian here...............any motor should go virtually all day at steady speeds without having to "baby" if to oil properly..........PERIOD! my 17 RGU for some reason doesn't sump. If it starts, I go to another brand. I love harleys, but am not married to them.

Old 05-30-2018, 05:38 AM
RK12
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Unless you like getting engines replaced, suck it up and put in the fueling or SS oil pump. You shouldn’t have to replace one parts as they are poorly designed and failing, but bike down time and time again is your alternative. At least on the 117’s and possible 114’s.

If they ever ever admit there is an issue, have a case to get your money back from HD.

Old 05-30-2018, 06:29 AM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 6,510 Likes on 2,710 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
Larger the displacement, larger the pressure variation fer sure.

Boxer motor has way more crankcase volume plus is wet sump so no scavenge pump. (AFAIK).

The motor has one way valves in the breathers. They lower the average pressure in the crankcase and pressure fluctuations as a result.
Other boxer engine applications are drysump, which now makes me think of the goldwing engine and now Im off topic.

Interesting thread thats for sure!

Old 05-30-2018, 07:25 AM
triumph900
Road Captain
Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Lots of thought gone into lots of speculation! I will say, in any universe, I simply can’t fathom that HD would design the M8 in such a manner that would require bathroom breaks and other babying. If that were truly the case, and word got it, HD would be in a world of hurt.

Old 05-30-2018, 07:38 AM
yobtaf103
Road Master
Received 283 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by RK12
Unless you like getting engines replaced, suck it up and put in the fueling or SS oil pump. You shouldn’t have to replace one parts as they are poorly designed and failing, but bike down time and time again is your alternative. At least on the 117’s and possible 114’s.

If they ever ever admit there is an issue, have a case to get your money back from HD.
Like to know what makes the Fueling pump the cure all ?

Old 05-30-2018, 08:00 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 267 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by Heatwave
Yep, the 3rd engine in my 2017 CVO Limited sumped .... again...just like the 2 before it. This 3rd engine was upgraded to Stage IV by my dealer with custom "one off" cylinders/pistons/rings that were specced by the HD Engineering Lab and overnighted to the dealer for installation. For those not following my saga, you can catch up here https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwa...-it-again.html.

After this 3rd engine sumped a week ago, HD shipped another brand new engine over the weekend to my dealer. This new 4th engine was built at the Pilgrim Road facility and was built as a COMPLETE Stage IV 117 engine before shipment to the dealer. I didn't even know HD would build a factory Stage IV 117. That's a new one. My bike was picked up today by the dealership and will be done in time for me to break it in on my ride to Rolling Thunder in DC. Already checked my insurance policy for towing and rental coverage just in case.

No idea what oil pump is in this engine or any other factory changes/upgrades they have done inside this engine. All I know is that it was "meticulously" built at the factory with the latest components. Externally it looks identical to the 3rd engine which had a 2018 part # case. (Engines #1 & 2 had 2017 case part #s) Of particular interest is the fact that this 4th engine now has a 2019 engine case part #. Yep, that's right.... a 2019 engine case part #.

I think I have officially earned my Harley-Davidson R&D Merit Badge!!

I give the MoCo and my dealership credit for persistence, turn around time and for simply not giving up. Here I go again....wish me luck!
Hey, that's normal, they ALL do that - right? Nothing new to see here, folks, just keep buyin' them M8 bikes - the MoCo will take GOOD care of ya. Yeah, you betcha!

Sheesh, whatta typical MoCo goat-rope. Does your state have a lemon law that includes motorcycles? If so, then I think you've got an airtight case for a buy-back.

Good luck, BTW, sounds like ya need it!

Old 05-30-2018, 08:05 AM
Heatwave
Received 1,079 Likes on 639 Posts

Originally Posted by RK12

So let me try to understand your thinking. You would prefer to PAY out of your own pocket for a Feuling or S&S oil pump AND THE LABOR to have it installed. And then void your factory drivetrain warranty. Instead of having HD fulfill their warranty obligations to replace or repair your engine at NO COST to you which keeps your warranty intact for future claims??? I guess I’ll never understand some thinking.

Last edited by Heatwave; 05-30-2018 at 09:26 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Heatwave:
Eccool (06-17-2018), mjwebb (05-30-2018), Xcrossbow (05-31-2018)
Old 05-30-2018, 11:20 AM
Prot
Club Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 15,800 Likes on 6,702 Posts

Originally Posted by Heatwave
So let me try to understand your thinking. You would prefer to PAY out of your own pocket for a Feuling or S&S oil pump AND THE LABOR to have it installed. And then void your factory drivetrain warranty. Instead of having HD fulfill their warranty obligations to replace or repair your engine at NO COST to you which keeps your warranty intact for future claims??? I guess I’ll never understand some thinking.

Plus these aftermarket oil pumps are not the definitive cure everyone is hoping for.

Old 05-30-2018, 11:48 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,010 Likes on 4,063 Posts

Originally Posted by Prot
Plus these aftermarket oil pumps are not the definitive cure everyone is hoping for.
I would say we don't know that yet. The right one might be.

Old 05-30-2018, 11:54 AM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,075 Likes on 3,630 Posts

Wheres Smokey Yunick when you need him..

Quick Reply: Time for the 4th engine in my 2017 CVO Limited... here we go again!