Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time for the 4th engine in my 2017 CVO Limited... here we go again!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 08:15 PM
Ultra61
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
What was the RPM? You held it steady for 1/2 hour?
OH **** ~ Here we go .. where's my popcorn? lol

Old 05-29-2018, 08:33 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,609 Likes on 2,727 Posts

Oh boy, now it's an oil thread.

Originally Posted by Mr_C
This has been one of the more interesting threads on dumping. I will admit other then owning a few bikes over the years I've never really worked on them but I do have a strong background in race motors for cars. So this leads me to a couple questions that I'm not sure I've seen addressed in the sumping threads.
Working from the idea that rpms, heat, and riding style have shown a possibility to effect sumping it makes sense that the oil pumps haven't really solved anything. Essentially the oil pump is a numbers game, at X pressure you are pumping X gallons a min, over scavenge till you buy yourself error room only works if the supply is there.
This leads to my questions, has sumping occurred with multiple brands of oils? I feel like the heat/rpm ties lead to the possibility that the thermal characteristics of the oil may lead it to becoming airated under specific circumstances more then under other windows of service. This is much the same as how the same viscosity oils but from different brands can wear different parts at different rates. If the oil is thinning and separating more at certain temps then it opens itself to collecting air and increasing its abilities to become airborne.
The other question is does the case and crank layout open the possibility of creating an air force within the case that puts too much high pressure at the pickup location or creates a low pressure area somewhere else to allow accumulation? I've seen odd issues where that type thing plays in with some inline designs and the crankcase breathing methods. Just thoughts...

The following users liked this post:
jd05flhtci (05-29-2018)
Old 05-29-2018, 08:35 PM
Davidson Harley
Tourer
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

I traded my low mileage stage 1 2016 RGU on a 2017 RGU M8 cause I just had to have the latest greatest motor. %uck me!

Old 05-29-2018, 08:55 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,853 Likes on 1,601 Posts

Originally Posted by Davidson Harley
I traded my low mileage stage 1 2016 RGU on a 2017 RGU M8 cause I just had to have the latest greatest motor. %uck me!
Yet that Twincam was sometimes known for shifting the crank, blowing lifters, frosting cams, eating cam tensioners, eating inner cam bearings, chewing through compensators, leaking valve seals (05), and drinking oil YET we all bought them and were fine running them just the same.

The M8 will be no different. Maybe better. Go out and ride and don't worry what 20 people out of 150,000 people are unfortunately experiencing.

The following 2 users liked this post by lp:
mjwebb (05-29-2018), stixvrad (05-29-2018)
Old 05-29-2018, 08:59 PM
PA1195
Road Captain
Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

Steve mentioned the crankcase sump. There's some pics in this article that show the crankcase and crankshaft position sensor relative to each other.

http://thunderpress.net/motorcycles/...2016/10/07.htm

Edit: The 2018 Softails have a 2nd balancer cavity to the rear of the crankshaft. That may affect the oil distribution and pressures in the crankcase - speculation.

Last edited by PA1195; 05-29-2018 at 10:03 PM.
Old 05-29-2018, 09:01 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,010 Likes on 4,063 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr_C
This has been one of the more interesting threads on dumping. I will admit other then owning a few bikes over the years I've never really worked on them but I do have a strong background in race motors for cars. So this leads me to a couple questions that I'm not sure I've seen addressed in the sumping threads.
Working from the idea that rpms, heat, and riding style have shown a possibility to effect sumping it makes sense that the oil pumps haven't really solved anything. Essentially the oil pump is a numbers game, at X pressure you are pumping X gallons a min, over scavenge till you buy yourself error room only works if the supply is there.
This leads to my questions, has sumping occurred with multiple brands of oils? I feel like the heat/rpm ties lead to the possibility that the thermal characteristics of the oil may lead it to becoming airated under specific circumstances more then under other windows of service. This is much the same as how the same viscosity oils but from different brands can wear different parts at different rates. If the oil is thinning and separating more at certain temps then it opens itself to collecting air and increasing its abilities to become airborne.
The other question is does the case and crank layout open the possibility of creating an air force within the case that puts too much high pressure at the pickup location or creates a low pressure area somewhere else to allow accumulation? I've seen odd issues where that type thing plays in with some inline designs and the crankcase breathing methods. Just thoughts...
For the bold, I would say that the revisions HD tried. the oil pump was ineffective. It's not to say there isn't an effective pump. I'd bet a dual scavenge gerotor pump would help immensely.

For the underlined, I would say it's my bet that some oil brands will affect the system differently as far as sumping goes. Aeration could definitely be part of it.

The crankcase sees a 6-8 psi variance based simply on crank position. It was discovered that the pressure variance caused issues with scavenging during twincam development. The crankcase pickup was modified to a long 0.20 inch tube to eliminate the pickup losing prime and failing to extract oil.

Old 05-29-2018, 09:31 PM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 6,510 Likes on 2,710 Posts

The crankcase sees a 6-8 psi variance based simply on crank position. It was discovered that the pressure variance caused issues with scavenging during twincam development. The crankcase pickup was modified to a long 0.20 inch tube to eliminate the pickup losing prime and failing to extract oil.
A larger displacement engine should show a larger variation in pressures. With both pistons coming to bottom dead center close to one another you cant help but get a constantly fluctuating pressure like a true boxer engine deals with which also creates pumping losses (not oil pump when I say pumping). The pressure has to go somewhere, how are they managing it?

Old 05-29-2018, 09:36 PM
Bigt001
Cruiser
Received 71 Likes on 44 Posts

What was the RPM? You held it steady for 1/2 hour?
Rpm wasn’t steady 75 to 95mph 5th and 6th gears

Old 05-29-2018, 09:52 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by hellonewman
A larger displacement engine should show a larger variation in pressures. With both pistons coming to bottom dead center close to one another you cant help but get a constantly fluctuating pressure like a true boxer engine deals with which also creates pumping losses (not oil pump when I say pumping). The pressure has to go somewhere, how are they managing it?
Larger the displacement, larger the pressure variation fer sure.

Boxer motor has way more crankcase volume plus is wet sump so no scavenge pump. (AFAIK).

The motor has one way valves in the breathers. They lower the average pressure in the crankcase and pressure fluctuations as a result.

Old 05-29-2018, 09:55 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Bigt001

Rpm wasn’t steady 75 to 95mph 5th and 6th gears
I've done 75 to 85 for 1 1/2 hours on a 107 RK with no issues. Also Like to beat it hark in the twisties even tho it don't handle as well as my 02 RKC.

Quick Reply: Time for the 4th engine in my 2017 CVO Limited... here we go again!