Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time for the 4th engine in my 2017 CVO Limited... here we go again!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2018, 08:36 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,688 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
4. If the number on the cases was a MPN it would have started with 24400XXX. Go look at the MPNs for cases on the other bikes like the softails and streets. They all start with 244001.
Max

I have an early M8 Touring case part number so it may have changed, but it was/is 24400121

Old 05-28-2018, 08:58 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,609 Likes on 2,727 Posts

My 2018 FLTRU, manufactured in March has a case number that starts with 17, didn't bother to contort myself further in order to see the rest

Old 05-29-2018, 07:24 AM
Heatwave
Received 1,079 Likes on 639 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
Max

I have an early M8 Touring case part number so it may have changed, but it was/is 24400121
Can you share WHERE this number was stamped on your engine cases? Was it the same # stamped on the bottom of both halves of the engine case or stamped in some other location?
Perhaps a picture??

Old 05-29-2018, 08:46 AM
Another Old Timer
Tourer
Received 152 Likes on 104 Posts

Enjoy following this thread. Lots of very excellent info. Heatwave, great job and an excellent attitude, extremely helpful. Steve Cole, your methodical research and analysis is truly professional. No BS, just objective observations and factual reporting. So far......... my Heritage Softail 114 with HD Torque cam at 5,000 miles still shows no sign of any oil related issues.............yet????? Doubtful if a similar model so equipped has been drives harder.

Really looking forward to your longer term results. Another point that is interesting is how much better this 4th engine is performing than the others did before problems started to arise. Hopefully a clue to what is coming up.

Old 05-29-2018, 09:11 AM
Bob Coco
Intermediate
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default On my second engine and it's at the shop sumping

Originally Posted by Heatwave
Uhhhhh, I think I already took FOUR for the team and earned my Harley-Davidson R&D merit badge at the same time!!!! Time for another "TEAM" member to step up!!
After 2nd engine sumped, HD is giving me a new bike. I have a 17 CVO StreetGlide which I'm guessing was an early production date bike.
They have an 18 being prepped right now. But beware, The HD rep does not want me to do a stage IV to. He told me to add the Screaming Eagle High Flow exhaust and a Street tuner and nothing more.

Last edited by Bob Coco; 05-29-2018 at 09:14 AM.
Old 05-29-2018, 09:25 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,009 Likes on 4,062 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Coco
After 2nd engine sumped, HD is giving me a new bike. I have a 17 CVO StreetGlide which I'm guessing was an early production date bike.
They have an 18 being prepped right now. But beware, The HD rep does not want me to do a stage IV to. He told me to add the Screaming Eagle High Flow exhaust and a Street tuner and nothing more.
If that's the case.. This may be true in heatwave's case.

7. It may simply be that they ran the motor on the dyno and swapped or experimented with parts until the motor stopped sumping and they still don't have the issue completely solved.

Old 05-29-2018, 11:36 AM
Ultra61
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
Also The Stage kits are also sumping so it is wide spread and I believe that riding style does play a part in it. One test we were able to be involved with was to take a sumping bike and have another person ride it for a period of time. No more sumping, so bike was returned to the original rider and it sumped the next day. I am not saying riding style is the issue but it brings the issue out, that is already in the engine to start with!
That is amazing info .. wow .. I told the Motor Company I had no intent in changing my riding style.. I also told the Rep how to make the bike sump (which he knew). However, the main factor was, it needed to be soaking hot, which meant you haft to ride it at least an hour + and honkering down (no bar hopping).. when Rep returned w my bike (1hr 20min, I was there when he returned) it sumped, and we got 1.5 quart out of the motor after a fresh build to specs that he supervised.

Old 05-29-2018, 11:41 AM
Heatwave
Received 1,079 Likes on 639 Posts

Originally Posted by Ultra61
That is amazing info .. wow .. I told the Motor Company I had no intent in changing my riding style.. I also told the Rep how to make the bike sump (which he knew). However, the main factor was, it needed to be soaking hot, which meant you haft to ride it at least an hour + and honkering down (no bar hopping).. when Rep returned w my bike (1hr 20min, I was there when he returned) it sumped, and we got 1.5 quart out of the motor after a fresh build to specs that he supervised.
Right on. Getting the engine completely and fully heat soaked is a prerequisite to creating a sumping condition. Generally takes at least a good hr of continuous riding before the first signs of sumping will rear its ugly head.

Old 05-29-2018, 12:04 PM
nykn72
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Anybody else look and when they see heatwave on this threat brace for the 5th engine ? I do and hope every time his 4th is still good .

Old 05-29-2018, 12:18 PM
PA1195
Road Captain
Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Heatwave
Right on. Getting the engine completely and fully heat soaked is a prerequisite to creating a sumping condition. Generally takes at least a good hr of continuous riding before the first signs of sumping will rear its ugly head.
These test engines should be monitored by HD's field reps for running oil pressure, oil temp, cylinder head temp, and crankcase temp and pressure. There may be other info needed that comes into play. If there's some heat soaking required to a critical level they should be able to add probes and collect that data as part of the field testing. Heat changes metal tolerances and fits plus oil behavior.

That's unless they already know where the critical red lines start by design.

Quick Reply: Time for the 4th engine in my 2017 CVO Limited... here we go again!