Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time for the 4th engine in my 2017 CVO Limited... here we go again!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2018, 05:36 PM
Heatwave
Received 1,079 Likes on 639 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
Each part in the assemble has a tolerance that they are made to be within. So let's think about the crankshaft, they are suppose to be round but as we all know MoCo says as long as they are not 0.014" out of round that's OK, when the original specification was over 0.003" and it was bad. Same goes for rods, cylinders, pistons ect. So you can get variations that are within the limits that MoCo has now said is OK but as we all know that doesn't mean much to them. When they start running out of range they just move the specification to cover it up!. Look at sumping, the first bulletin said over 3 oz of oil drained and there is a problem with the engine, the latest bulletin now says over 12 oz before it's an issue. This is the kind of BS that is bring these problems on them. Had they found and solve the issue in the beginning there would have been no reason to change the specification to 12 oz. today and only god knows what it maybe tomorrow!

If Heatwave is to believe the MoCo did something special for him they could have just picked parts that met the original M8 specifications (not what they let slide by) and then assembled the engine with those parts to see if it solves the problem. We will never know unless it fails again or he takes it apart to see if anything is really changed.
As I stated, the dealer claimed it was a 2019 engine. And the lower right engine code started with 19. I also shared that other knowledgeable people (Non-HD) also do NOT believe its a 2019 but the part # on my engine case does not show up on any parts catalog. So your guess is as good as mine but its definitely more likely than not that the part # I posted is for a new engine case, just my opinion without any supporting facts.

As I’ve also stated I have no clue what changes, if any, were made internally to the case of my new engine. And to be honest I really don’t care after dealing with 3 prior engines that sumped. I’ll let others debate what the codes mean, which is why I shared them. All I know is the performance of this engine is everything I ever hoped for out of a Factory HD Stage IV 117 engine, and it turned out to be even MORE than I expected

I’ll leave it to you and the other experts to debate things like “what model yr is it?”. “What do the codes mean?” “What changes did they make internally”? Personally I will not be surprised if the engine case # on the bottom of my engine is the same as the one on new 2019s, but obviously I could be very wrong.

At this point the answer to those questions above are simply irrelevant to me. I’ve tried to be helpful to others dealing with sumping in their 2017 and 2018 M8 engines by sharing these FACTS.
- my 4th engine was built at the Pilgrim Rd facility as a factory built Stage IV 117 engine. Since I’m not aware of any other M8 Stage IV engine that was built at the factory, I’ll let others decide how or whether that qualifies as “special”
- my dealer stated the engine was a 2019
- the lower right engine code is 1941803116 and I posted a picture of it.
- the case number stamped on both halves of the engine case is 13708454 and I posted a picture of it.
- neither one of these engine numbers have any correlation to any sequence of the #s in my VIN
- the performance of this engine is spectacular after 850 miles, in which the last 400 miles were definitely challenged on the highway, backroads and in high heat conditions that made my prior 3 117 Stage IV engines sump easily.

Hopefully the information I shared is helpful. Good luck to anyone that has experienced sumping as after 4 engines being installed in my bike, I fully appreciate the frustration you’re experiencing. But if my experience is an early signal, HD has finally solved the issue. To the naysayers, well..... I have nothing to say to you. To my dealer...... I say thank you for standing by me. To HD ..... I say thank you for your persistance in resolving my engine issues without giving up and finally delivering an outstanding engine. BRAVO!!! Now help out all the other 17/18 M8 bike owners that are dealing with sumping and you’ll be back on track with the M8 engine design.

Last edited by Heatwave; 05-28-2018 at 06:15 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Heatwave:
Another Old Timer (05-29-2018), Eccool (06-10-2018), Newfie (05-30-2018), QNman (06-12-2018)
Old 05-28-2018, 06:25 PM
Hardcase61
Cruiser
Received 116 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Heatwave

As I stated, the dealer claimed it was a 2019 engine. And the lower right engine code started with 19. I also shared that other knowledgeable people (Non-HD) also do NOT believe its a 2019 but the part # on my engine case does not show up on any parts catalog. So your guess is as good as mine but its definitely more likely than not that the part # I posted is for a new engine case, just my opinion without any supporting facts.

As I’ve also stated I have no clue what changes, if any, were made internally to the case of my new engine. And to be honest I really don’t care after dealing with 3 prior engines that sumped. I’ll let others debate what the codes mean, which is why I shared them. All I know is the performance of this engine is everything I ever hoped for out of a Factory HD Stage IV 117 engine, and it turned out to be even MORE than I expected

I’ll leave it to you and the other experts to debate things like “what model yr is it?”. “What do the codes mean?” “What changes did they make internally”? Personally I will not be surprised if the engine case # on the bottom of my engine is the same as the one on new 2019s, but obviously I could be very wrong.

At this point the answer to those questions above are simply irrelevant to me. I’ve tried to be helpful to others dealing with sumping in their 2017 and 2018 M8 engines by sharing these FACTS.
- my 4th engine was built at the Pilgrim Rd facility as a factory built Stage IV 117 engine. Since I’m not aware of any other M8 Stage IV engine that was built at the factory, I’ll let others decide how or whether that qualifies as “special”
- the case number stamped on both halves of the engine case is 13708454 and I posted a picture of it.
- neither one of these engine numbers have any correlation to any sequence of the #s in my VIN
- the performance of this engine is spectacular after 850 miles, in which the last 400 miles were definitely challenged on the highway, backroads and in high heat conditions that made my prior 3 117 Stage IV engines sump easily.

Hopefully the information I shared is helpful. Good luck to anyone that has experienced sumping as after 4 engines being installed in my bike, I fully appreciate the frustration you’re experiencing. But if my experience is an early signal, HD has finally solved the issue. To the naysayers, well..... I have nothing to say to you. To my dealer...... I say thank you for standing by me. To HD ..... I say thank you for your persistance in resolving my engine issues without giving up and finally delivering an outstanding engine. BRAVO!!! Now help out all the other 17/18 M8 bike owners that are dealing with sumping and you’ll be back on track with the M8 engine design.
Thank you Heatwave for keeping us posted through all of this!

Many of us appreciate you taking the time to let us know what you have gone through.

Old 05-28-2018, 06:48 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,009 Likes on 4,062 Posts

I think that there is quite a bit that you are missing.

1. the motor was built on the same line as current production which is gearing up for 2019 release or at least in the same area. They don't make a few thousand of the next model year instantly. So you got a 19 date code.

2. I don't think anyone knows if it was special but it would have been nice to know if the motor was run at the factory. Assuming that it was broken in it likely was run on a dyno at that time there would have known if it sumped.

3. the 19 is partly a date code I would guess. Not sure if the means anything changed. More than likely the rest of the number reflects the "as built" Also it won't show up in any catalog.

4. the numbers on the case halves are not a part number. They are more than likely a production serial number. Very common thing to do. It won't show up in any catalog. It will likely show up in HDs material tracking system. Something that usually only manufacturing / QA / test and possibly field engineers can reference.

5. Neither of those numbers have anything to with serial number at the top assembly.(motor). I think we agree on that.

6. Glad that the motor is working well for you. Hope the combination that worked will transfer easily to other guys having issues. One would hope that the change is repeatable on other bikes having the issue.

7. It may simply be that they ran the motor on the dyno and swapped ot experimented with parts until the motor stopped sumping and they still don't have the issue completely solved.

Old 05-28-2018, 06:59 PM
Heatwave

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
I think that there is quite a bit that you are missing.

1. the motor was built on the same line as current production which is gearing up for 2019 release or at least in the same area. They don't make a few thousand of the next model year instantly. So you got a 19 date code.

2. I don't think anyone knows if it was special but it would have been nice to know if the motor was run at the factory. Assuming that it was broken in it likely was run on a dyno at that time there would have known if it sumped.

3. the 19 is partly a date code I would guess. Not sure if the means anything changed. More than likely the rest of the number reflects the "as built" Also it won't show up in any catalog.

4. the numbers on the case halves are not a part number. They are more than likely a production serial number. Very common thing to do. It won't show up in any catalog. It will likely show up in HDs material tracking system. Something that usually only manufacturing / QA / test and possibly field engineers can reference.

5. Neither of those numbers have anything to with serial number at the top assembly.(motor). I think we agree on that.

6. Glad that the motor is working well for you. Hope the combination that worked will transfer easily to other guys having issues. One would hope that the change is repeatable on other bikes having the issue.

7. It may simply be that they ran the motor on the dyno and swapped ot experimented with parts until the motor stopped sumping and they still don't have the issue completely solved.
1) That’s my opinion too.
2) the engine was definitely run at the factory because all components were on the engine that are normally not included when a crate engine is shipped to a dealer. Such as injectors, spark plugs, TB, fuel/oil/coolant lines. The fuel line on my engine still had leftover fuel in it, so the engine was definitely run at the factory.
3) I don’t know but you could be correct
4) I have no way to know one way or another however most recent HD part numbers have 8 digits and so does this case #.
5) Agreed
6) Thanks, I hope so too.
7) Anything is possible

Last edited by Heatwave; 05-28-2018 at 07:00 PM.
Old 05-28-2018, 07:09 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,474 Likes on 1,353 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
One test we were able to be involved with was to take a sumping bike and have another person ride it for a period of time. No more sumping, so bike was returned to the original rider and it sumped the next day.
That's highly important data. Can you describe what the sumping rider did differently that caused it to happen?

Old 05-28-2018, 07:23 PM
Heatwave

Originally Posted by FatBob2018
That's highly important data. Can you describe what the sumping rider did differently that caused it to happen?
While the performance results of an engine wih multiple riders and a single engine is helpful, I think the performance results of a single rider with multiple engines is of even greater value, at least from my perspective as the single rider. My riding style after normal breakin caused sumping in 3 consecutive identical engines. And in the 4th identical engine, it no longer causes sumping (or at least hasn’t in 850 miles).

My riding style is no different then the way I ride my other motorcycle (2010 CVO Ultra) or any other motorcycle I’ve ridden over 50years. Simply stated... my riding style is safely but occasionally squeezing every bit of performance the engine can deliver under public roadway conditions.

Last edited by Heatwave; 05-28-2018 at 07:25 PM.
Old 05-28-2018, 07:57 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

1) That’s my opinion too.
2) the engine was definitely run at the factory because all components were on the engine that are normally not included when a crate engine is shipped to a dealer. Such as injectors, spark plugs, TB, fuel/oil/coolant lines. The fuel line on my engine still had leftover fuel in it, so the engine was definitely run at the factory.
3) I don’t know but you could be correct
4) I have no way to know one way or another however most recent HD part numbers have 8 digits and so does this case #.
5) Agreed
6) Thanks, I hope so too.
7) Anything is possible

4. If the number on the cases was a MPN it would have started with 24400XXX. Go look at the MPNs for cases on the other bikes like the softails and streets. They all start with 244001.

7. Based on the #2 I'd say it's at/near the top of the list..

Old 05-28-2018, 07:57 PM
nykn72
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

You have definatly posted tirelessly about the situation and for that I thank you . Hoping the best for the lat st motor .

Old 05-28-2018, 08:08 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

While the performance results of an engine wih multiple riders and a single engine is helpful, I think the performance results of a single rider with multiple engines is of even greater value, at least from my perspective as the single rider. My riding style after normal breakin caused sumping in 3 consecutive identical engines. And in the 4th identical engine, it no longer causes sumping (or at least hasn’t in 850 miles).
PM me with your addy. I need to send you a cannonball (solid type) and a rubber mallet for an experiment..

Just kidding..

Don't buy a lotto ticket, It's pretty much guaranteed that you wont win..

Old 05-28-2018, 08:26 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,688 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by FatBob2018
I cannot give you the total differences but the replacement rider rode mostly in town without any longer open highway running. While the first rider rode mainly open highway for longer times at speed. Typical sumping occurred after the first 1000 miles on the fresh engine and being at normal temperature at highway speeds ( 65 - 80 mph). So for the first 1000 mile everything was fine, no matter how the bike was ridden. About 1200 miles in the rider thought it was starting to sump again and brought it back. Cylinder leak down was checked and sumping test showed 8 oz. So while earlier test on the engine showed no oil in sump when drained, now 1200 miles later it is having 8 oz come out and is within the MoCo new limit of good. Next check was around 1500 miles and it had about 30 oz drained, so what one would call sumping again. Nothing appeared to be damaged so further testing was done. Engine was disassembled in the end, to check the internal parts out and the piston oilers were in good shape (No leaks), Cam chest was all good but rod bearings beginning to show damage. Lots more testing is needed but it was a starting point, for some other internal modifications we put into the next engine.

Currently have another engine running with some different internal modifications, in a different bike. This customer has been through 2 engines and gave up on the MoCo. He currently has over 1500 miles of trouble free operation and in his words "I've been trying everything I know to make it screw up and it just keeps running fantastic!" He is now out on a cross country ride and will let us know if anything happens but says he will be back in about 3 weeks and expects to have another 5 - 6 thousand miles on it. So time and miles will let us know how it does. If that all goes well, we will know exactly what was done different in the two engines. This information should help narrow down the cause. For the record both of these engines have the same MoCo oil pumps in them too. One thing that has always gotten me is we have a fully built 120 cu in, with the very first release (July 2016 build date) oil pump in it with 2 seasons on it and it's never sumped and I can assure you that people have ridden it hard and tried there best to make it sump.

Why did it run great for the first 1000 miles?
Why did it start to sump lightly at 1200 miles?
Why does it not sump with a different rider?
Why does the original test bike with the 120 not sump after two season of riding?
How will the second bike hold up after miles accumulate on it?

All these questions are not answered but we do know the cylinder leakage increase from 3-4% when engine first went out, to 10 - 11% when the rider first felt like it was sumping. MoCo claims that anything under 23% is acceptable for a M8.

Heatwave is on engine 4 now, will it hold up, for his sake I hope so. All I can say for sure is there is an issue with the M8 engine and riding style plays into it how soon it happens. The root cause is not as of yet found but getting closer. IMHO the oil pump is not the cause.

The following 4 users liked this post by Steve Cole:
Eccool (05-29-2018), G'day (05-29-2018), Max Headflow (05-28-2018), VDeuce (05-28-2018)

Quick Reply: Time for the 4th engine in my 2017 CVO Limited... here we go again!