Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time for the 4th engine in my 2017 CVO Limited... here we go again!

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 01:47 AM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,854 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Originally Posted by Heatwave
I rode the bike 120 miles this afternoon. Interstate, backroads, 3 times around my 25 mile loop, stop & go commuter traffic too.

DAMN!!!

Gotcha.... that's a good DAMN! Of course its only 120 miles, but I know what to look for now and how to find early signs of sumping. I stayed within all break-in procedures even knowing the engine was probably run on a dyno. First 50 miles - under 3000 rpms. Everything else so far - around 3500 max.
Originally Posted by lp
That's impossible. Everyone knows if you do loops in prime numbers M8s will sump. Maybe he only did 2 loops or perhaps 4?
Well 2 is a prime number. I think he specifically said 3 was the magic number that would make any M8 sump. You must take into consideration that he was taking it easy because the motor wasn’t broke in yet.

Old 05-27-2018, 06:03 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,853 Likes on 1,601 Posts

Originally Posted by $tonecold
Well 2 is a prime number. I think he specifically said 3 was the magic number that would make any M8 sump. You must take into consideration that he was taking it easy because the motor wasn’t broke in yet.

So....yeah, probably not tied to "loops" at all. Recursion though.... will fail every time on factors of 3.

Old 05-27-2018, 06:13 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,609 Likes on 2,727 Posts

Yes...2019 case. Your engine case # can be viewed with a flashlight from under the right side of the engine. NOT the #s stamped on the bottom of the case but the numbers on the lower right side of the engine. The first 2 digits are the model year designation.
Can you provide a pic of where this is? I couldn't find it. I believe by now they are producing the 2019 models, so it makes sense that they'd use a 2019 engine or at least the cases.

My 107 was built in March of this year, so I'd be shocked if they used 2019 cases, which would be a running change, but I do want to look.

The following users liked this post:
GPHDXLC (05-27-2018)
Old 05-27-2018, 06:50 AM
Davidson Harley
Tourer
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
yeah, I haven't lost it either, but like I said..lost the amount of it I once had, which was basically WFO most everywhere, on and off road, my muscle cars, downhill skiing..honestly at times I reflect and think there's no way I should have lived this long
Smiling. I know of exactly what you speak. If it was running it was ***** to the wall, faster the better. Raced dirt bikes , drag raced bikes. Totalled 4 cages (I'm talking not one usable body part) and walked away. Only thing I ever owned that scared me was a Yamaha 175 three wheeler. That little yellow bastard had death written all over it, they should have out lawed em. I once was thrown through the windshield of a 77 Chevy blazer ( I was in the passanger seat) from a head on. The local paper called it a game of chicken, it really wasent, anyways stood up 160 ft from the crash and walked away. Small cuts on the side a my head from going through the windshield was all. Thank god I was wearing leather at the time. On the no way I should still be sucking air, I get it.

After reading this entire thread, I believe I will be leaving my 17 RGU 107 alone with her little stage one kit. Also this was the best advertisment for buying the extended warrantee I have ever read. OP if it were me, by motor 3 I would have been kicking in the doors at a board meeting. I still would be demanding monetary compensation at this point at the least. Like free service for life on any Harley I ever own, sounds about right. Throw in a 25% discount off MSRP on any new Harley I ever buy. Thats just where I would be headed.

mjwebb (05-27-2018)
Old 05-27-2018, 07:33 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,910 Likes on 19,367 Posts

Heatwave ... between you and Keith, HD must be just about out of parts/pieces :>(

Old 05-27-2018, 08:11 AM
barneyboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,790 Likes on 1,612 Posts

Originally Posted by Keithhu
Can you provide a pic of where this is? I couldn't find it. I believe by now they are producing the 2019 models, so it makes sense that they'd use a 2019 engine or at least the cases.

My 107 was built in March of this year, so I'd be shocked if they used 2019 cases, which would be a running change, but I do want to look.

Old 05-27-2018, 09:37 AM
LXT
Road Master
Received 567 Likes on 346 Posts

4 Engines? that is absolutely ridiculous, I don't care what stage you are at - even top fuel dragsters get more than one run down the track! you are truly a patient person who holds his temper well, all I can say is how many chances are you going to give them? do you have a 2nd bike cause at the rate you`re going your bike will have more shop time than road time, you have put more engines in a brand-new bike than most have owned new bikes...…….!

Not to be mean but I don't even feel bad at this point for you, "fool me once shame on you fool me twice shame on me" so basically you have been fooled beyond normal & keep going back - Insanity = doing the same thing over & over and hoping for a different outcome - Let us know when the insanity is over. Good Luck!

Old 05-27-2018, 04:22 PM
Heatwave
Received 1,079 Likes on 639 Posts

I'm BAAAAACK! Looks like you guys had some fun in my absence (and even some fun at my expense, but its all good.) Just back from Rolling Thunder and to be honest, honoring our Fallen Heroes on Memorial Day weekend will always be far more important to me than any mechanical issues regardless of how frustrating they might be. I was at the Iwo Jima Marine Memorial and Arlington Cemetery to see the sun rise this morning over the Capitol and the Washington Monument. Then spent time at the Vietnam Memorial and the Lincoln Memorial. Helps keep things in perspective and what's really important, at least to me.

So let's get caught up. Here's a few bullet points, then I'll fill in the details below with a few pics.
  • I did 120 miles near my home on the new engine before I headed to Rolling Thunder on Friday. And YES, I did 3 loops of my 25 mile "home ride" plus another 20 miles for good measure
  • a total of 850 miles ridden by me since the new "factory-built" 117 Stage IV engine was installed by my dealer this past Thursday
  • I was especially gentle during break-in to leave nothing to chance - under 3k for the first 50 miles. under 3500rpms for the next 350 miles and then under 4000 for the next 100 miles. Let 'er rip after that.
  • Temps in DC the last couple of days were a brutal 94 degrees with very high humidity.
  • Only ran 93 octane
  • Engine case part # for my new engine is 13708454
  • Code stamped on lower right side of engine 1941803116
  • I have only posted facts mixed with my riding opinions and as few emotional remarks as possible when describing my engine sumping saga
  • If Harley-Davidson did not want me posting my summaries and factual information about my experiences, they should have asked me to sign an NDA. I assume they support me sharing these detailed experiences because otherwise I would have heard from them by now.
In summary, this factory-built 117 Stage IV engine ran SPECTACULAR in every sense that I can measure from the seat of a motorcycle.
  • Powerful, unwavering, relentless and so much more.
  • It never stumbled.
  • Never had a hiccup.
  • The engine didn't care how hot it was or how cool it was.- it just delivered everything I asked of it, exactly when I wanted it.
  • Throttle "Tip-in" was excellent.
  • Throttle "roll-on" was outstanding.
  • Low end torque was surprising strong. Low end torque was better than stock and FAR better than any of the previous 3 117 Stage IV engines in this bike.
  • This engine can spool up with almost no effort at all.
  • Give this engine rpms and all it wanted was MORE rpms. For a factory engine, it was shockingly powerful in the upper rpms without giving up anything on the bottom.
  • HEAT...what heat? This engine didn't care if we were stuck in 4 lanes of choking stop & go cager traffic that had to be approaching 100 degrees at the pavement or ripping down some tree shaded twisties, when it came time to "giddy-up" it didn't hesitate even a whisker.
  • Sumping??? whats that? Not even a "hint" and trust me, I would have felt even the SLIGHTEST hint if it was there.
I left for Rolling Thunder rolling a big set of dice taking this new engine out for such a debut, but screw it. Whats the worst that might happen? get it towed to a dealer and telling HD to pick it up? So what? I left my house after riding 120 miles near to home to make sure I could at least make it out of town. I left for DC with my confidence at 50:50 that the bike would **** the bed on the trip since I really hadn't gone over 3500 rpms yet. After my ride out to Harrisburg and down through Va my confidence in the engine rose to 75%. I was beginning to believe HD had maybe figured this sumping issue out. I was at 90% confidence before I left for home this morning. And I am now at 99% confidence in this engine. I'll be at 100% in a couple weeks when I take the bike up to the White Mtns of NH where it will get a serious work out.

Harley, if you're reading this thread (and I suspect you are), don't screw around. Start cranking out these engines. Ramp up QC on the assembly. Get this engine into your 2019 CVOs. Take care of all the 2017 and 2018 CVO owners that have experienced sumping by installing this EXACT engine and you will earn back every single customer AND MORE. You now have the solution. Don't waste time and don't pinch pennies. Get this engine into customer's hands immediately. You will get your money back 10-fold!!

New factory built 117 Stage IV engine case part #

Engine code stamped on lower right side of engine

Last edited by Heatwave; 05-27-2018 at 04:42 PM.
The following 8 users liked this post by Heatwave:
Eccool (06-17-2018), G'day (05-27-2018), GPHDXLC (05-27-2018), Hardcase61 (05-27-2018), lp (05-27-2018), madmat (05-29-2018), Northernproducer (05-28-2018), Woodsy (05-30-2018) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-27-2018, 04:35 PM
triumph900
Road Captain
Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Hey Harley. While you’re making the 117’s right, don’t forget the 107’s and 114’s!

madmat (05-29-2018)
Old 05-27-2018, 04:38 PM
jamala00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,797 Likes on 2,808 Posts

Harley, if you're reading this thread (and I suspect you are), don't screw around. Start cranking out these engines. Ramp up QC on the assembly. Get this engine into your 2019 CVOs. Take care of all the 2017 and 2018 CVO owners that have experienced sumping by installing this EXACT engine and you will earn back every single customer AND MORE. You now have the solution. Don't waste time and don't pinch pennies. Get this engine into customer's hands immediately. You will get your money back 10-fold!!
So what's different then the first 3 motors? Your motor is a case redesign? If it truly fixes the sumping wonder if it also fixes the transfer, if so I hope they put this motor in all the '19s going forward. If so.. I'll be in the market...

Last edited by jamala00; 05-27-2018 at 04:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Time for the 4th engine in my 2017 CVO Limited... here we go again!