Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stage 1 SE tuner raises RPMs? Flat spot up high?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 03:05 PM
Leverlution
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Stage 1 SE tuner raises RPMs? Flat spot up high?

Life has been a little crazy lately, but finally broke 500mi this past weekend. Didn't have too many opportunities to really play with the throttle "freedom," but of course I made sure to get acquainted with the power band. I noticed the rev limiter coming on a few hundred rpm's sooner than I expected quite often. Almost like I was naturally expecting a 5750 or 6000 rpm cut off, but I would get a bit surprised when it cut just before I was about to shift naturally and looked down to see 5500 in the trip window. Also, it felt almost like there was a bit of a flat spot up high. Maybe between 4500 and 5500. Speedo still moves aggressively, bike is a blast to ride, so maybe its just me (or maybe the torque drops off before the rev limiter) but it just FEELS like a weak spot at the end of the rev range.Not a big deal, just something I noticed.

So my questions! 1) does the stage one screaming eagle tuner raise the rev limiter (maybe even speed limiter?) Or does that only come from the other stage kits?
2) Would maybe throwing the pro tuner with the wide band O2 in it help with that last nudge of the rev range, or is it just me being crazy?

Bike is a stock 107 with neighbor hater slip ons. That's it, waiting for parts. I came off a speed triple, and don't want another insane engine. I love this bike and don't really see myself wanting to go to a stage 3/4 kit, but raising the rpm just a smidge, and keeping that seat of the pants feeling going another 1000 rpms would make this bike perfect!

Thanks guys.

Old 05-16-2018, 03:16 PM
Redlegvzv
Stellar HDF Member
Received 691 Likes on 381 Posts

Wow, I don't think I've ever run any of my 3 Harleys above about 4800. I will be following this thread. My only meager contribution to this thread is that my M8 107 idled at 850 before the Stage 1 and now idles at around 950. Not sure if that is relevant to the discussion.

The following users liked this post:
Leverlution (05-16-2018)
Old 05-16-2018, 03:21 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,345 Likes on 4,768 Posts

I’d do the sepst stage 1 calibration and ac before even thinking about the SE ATM and WBs, you have to have the sepst first anyway for the ATM to work

Leverlution (05-16-2018)
Old 05-16-2018, 03:21 PM
Dan D.
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,718 Likes on 890 Posts

Glad to see you're enjoying it... Finding the limiter is always a fun task.

Most tuners will allow you to set the limiter to whatever you wish, but not sure about the Harley version.

What you feel is the torque drop at 3500... The M8 is a dog at high rpms (stock). When you feel so inclined, you can rectify that issue with the stage 2.

*Cheers*

Leverlution (05-16-2018)
Old 05-16-2018, 03:23 PM
Leverlution
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Redlegvzv
Wow, I don't think I've ever run any of my 3 Harleys above about 4800. I will be following this thread. My only meager contribution to this thread is that my M8 107 idled at 850 before the Stage 1 and now idles at around 950. Not sure if that is relevant to the discussion.
Yea, I get it. The 107 has a great powerband. Really no reason to run it out. I just wanted to get comfortable with the bike in case the mood struck, and noticed those two little minor gripes. Not even really gripes, just things I noticed. I will say that even stock before the slip ons, my idle would sometimes bounce between 820 and 860, and other times hover around 950. Think it has to do with engine temperature and the EITMS etc. Hasn't changed one way or another with the slip ons.

Old 05-16-2018, 03:27 PM
Leverlution
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Dan D.
Glad to see you're enjoying it... Finding the limiter is always a fun task.

Most tuners will allow you to set the limiter to whatever you wish, but not sure about the Harley version.

What you feel is the torque drop at 3500... The M8 is a dog at high rpms (stock). When you feel so inclined, you can rectify that issue with the stage 2.

*Cheers*
That's what I was wondering. 1) if the harley version allowed a slight bump in RPMs (and even speed limiter) or not since I do have the extended warranty, and if finishing the stage 1 would clean up that drop off or if I should be looking into throwing the SE cam in it. Like I said, I have no issues with power, speed, handling etc at all. Love the bike. But wringing it out and feeling that dead spot was a bit odd. It would be nice to have a more consistent last little nudge at the end of the rev range if its not too bad cost wise. Would it be the torque cam or power cam that filled in the last 800 rpms or so? Power I would imagine.

Old 05-16-2018, 03:28 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,601 Likes on 2,724 Posts

Originally Posted by Leverlution
Yea, I get it. The 107 has a great powerband. Really no reason to run it out. I just wanted to get comfortable with the bike in case the mood struck, and noticed those two little minor gripes. Not even really gripes, just things I noticed. I will say that even stock before the slip ons, my idle would sometimes bounce between 820 and 860, and other times hover around 950. Think it has to do with engine temperature and the EITMS etc. Hasn't changed one way or another with the slip ons.
I believe engine idle was changed by the moco as part of a service bulletin, so if your dealer did the tune, likely the idle was raised to 950.

RE rev limit, I'm sure the SE tuner *can* make that change (I think max to 6250), but the change has to be explicitly made.

Leverlution (05-16-2018)
Old 05-16-2018, 03:33 PM
Leverlution
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Keithhu
I believe engine idle was changed by the moco as part of a service bulletin, so if your dealer did the tune, likely the idle was raised to 950.

RE rev limit, I'm sure the SE tuner *can* make that change (I think max to 6250), but the change has to be explicitly made.
Awesome. I'll see what the dealer says when the rest of the parts come in I guess. Probably could have just done that without the post, but I was still a bit curious about the little flat spot up high. Just a bump to 6k would be nice to keep from smacking the limiter a half second before I instinctively shift.

Old 05-17-2018, 05:51 AM
billbrummett
Tourer
Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

did u say u "normally" shift above 5k? really? I don't know the future, but have serious doubts of your engine staying together if u do that regularly. Harleys are NOT for speed!

Old 05-17-2018, 06:02 AM
Leverlution
Cruiser

Originally Posted by billbrummett
did u say u "normally" shift above 5k? really? I don't know the future, but have serious doubts of your engine staying together if u do that regularly. Harleys are NOT for speed!
Nah, I think you misread bud. Heh. I said I got it past break in, and was getting acquainted with the power band. Where I was instinctively / naturally expect to shift always seemed to be just a few hundred rpms higher than the limiter, and when getting used to the power band I would find myself hitting the limiter JUST before I was about to grab the clutch. Not normally, naturally :P Its also a new bike for me. No complaints, just wondered if the tuner raised it a few hundred RPMs. As far as the engine staying together, I certainly hope it does. If not, that's what the extended warranty is for.

Quick Reply: Stage 1 SE tuner raises RPMs? Flat spot up high?