Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

should the 2018 115th Anniversary paint bikes have been BLACKED OUT like the Specials??

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 08:15 PM
Lightngsvt
Road Captain
Received 75 Likes on 16 Posts

I like the chrome on my 18 SG anniversary too. But.... I have to say Putt Nutt's SG looks damn amazing!!!

Old 05-21-2019, 05:26 AM
107inMO
Tourer
Received 122 Likes on 85 Posts

I love mine!

Old 05-21-2019, 10:49 AM
TStew1
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm confused by your question because the flat blue IS the 115th anniversary paint...

Old 05-21-2019, 05:13 PM
115th FLHXS
Tourer
Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by HD_fan

simply badass!
I agree. That’s basically my bike! (I’ve made a few mods.)

Old 05-21-2019, 05:51 PM
saddlebag
Tourer
Received 71 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan D.
Chrome is for suckers...
And yet some will pay as much for spray paint as for plated parts...

The following users liked this post:
s-glide76 (05-22-2019)
Old 05-27-2019, 10:04 PM
ddsdoorguy
Cruiser
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

I really do like the blacked out look on bikes. But I think the anniversary edition paint color is awesome. But I may be a little biased.

Old 05-28-2019, 08:42 AM
Northside
Road Warrior
Received 142 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan D.
Chrome is for suckers...
Is that why Harley raised the price of the blacked out Specials in '18? Rather than put the more expensive chrome process on parts like crash bars, exhaust shields and engine parts, they had them powder coated, saved money building the bikes, and charged the non suckers a couple of thousand more for the bikes. Of course the suckers who bought a '17 Special won't be cool like the guys with the powder coated front ends showing chips and pits from riding a few thousand miles

I bought a new Fat Boy in '02. Like the sucker I am I chromed out a lot of parts. I still have that bike and it looks like new! In '07 I bought a Street Glide and blacked out everything. The powder coat was much cheaper than having stuff chromed. The bike looked great, for a couple of years. The problem is I ride, a lot, and long distances. After a trip to Canada, and another to Nor Cal up the coast through Oregon and Washington, then back to Colorado, the powder coasted parts needed to be re done. The front end parts were pitted and chipped. I finally sold that bike and bought'17 RGS which I left alone cosmetically.

Of course my bike was at least unique being blacked out back in '07. Now it's just a fad. Will the next fad be satin chrome that will protect the metal but look different than everyone else, like maybe the new Fat Boys?

If I were to do another blacked out bike, I'd have the front end parts done at a clear bra place like I did my truck.

Old 05-28-2019, 08:49 AM
TStew1
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Northside
Is that why Harley raised the price of the blacked out Specials in '18? Rather than put the more expensive chrome process on parts like crash bars, exhaust shields and engine parts, they had them powder coated, saved money building the bikes, and charged the non suckers a couple of thousand more for the bikes. Of course the suckers who bought a '17 Special won't be cool like the guys with the powder coated front ends showing chips and pits from riding a few thousand miles

I bought a new Fat Boy in '02. Like the sucker I am I chromed out a lot of parts. I still have that bike and it looks like new! In '07 I bought a Street Glide and blacked out everything. The powder coat was much cheaper than having stuff chromed. The bike looked great, for a couple of years. The problem is I ride, a lot, and long distances. After a trip to Canada, and another to Nor Cal up the coast through Oregon and Washington, then back to Colorado, the powder coasted parts needed to be re done. The front end parts were pitted and chipped. I finally sold that bike and bought'17 RGS which I left alone cosmetically.

Of course my bike was at least unique being blacked out back in '07. Now it's just a fad. Will the next fad be satin chrome that will protect the metal but look different than everyone else, like maybe the new Fat Boys?

If I were to do another blacked out bike, I'd have the front end parts done at a clear bra place like I did my truck.
The dealer might charge you less for chrome, but they'll make up the cost in selling chrome polish to all you suckers

Old 05-28-2019, 09:33 AM
Northside
Road Warrior
Received 142 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by TStew1
The dealer might charge you less for chrome, but they'll make up the cost in selling chrome polish to all you suckers

A couple of thousand bucks will buy a lot of chrome polish. You'll find that the powder coated parts need to be polished too.

Old 05-28-2019, 09:42 AM
Dan D.
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,718 Likes on 890 Posts

my suckers comment was from a year ago...

I've had some time to think it over, and have changed my stance on you chrome guys...

You're not suckers... you're morons.

lol

It's just a troll post for you chrome guys that come to "blacked out" threads that like to talk trash about something you don't like. It's cool... I like chrome too.

It's just fun messing with people at times.

So yeah... Chrome is for morons.

Quick Reply: should the 2018 115th Anniversary paint bikes have been BLACKED OUT like the Specials??