Sponsored by:

How many miles per year?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 02:07 AM
Kyle Moore
Road Master
Received 224 Likes on 153 Posts
Default How many miles per year?

i have a 25 mile commute each way, when it’s nice I ride, and then on the weekends I sometimes end up riding 2-400 miles. So it’s not unusual for me to ride 500 miles in a week consistently. Last March was when I bought my first Harley, I put 9000 miles on it in 4 months and traded it in for a brand new road glide at the beginning of last August and now I’ve already got 7500 miles on the new bike. I take really good care of my bikes but am I riding it too much? I’d like for it to last longer than 5 years, if I keep riding 15k a year I’ll have 75k on it by then. I was thinking about commuting less on it....what do you guys do? What’s high mileage for a Harley? People around here don’t seem to ride as much as I do, most bikes for sale on Craigslist have less than 30k on em. I guess I’m just worried mines gonna be worthless if I wanna trade it in 5 years from now (and it probably will be) if it has 70,000+ miles on it. I’ve actually been thinking about buying an Older used dyna or something to split the miles I ride up between 2 machines. Thoughts?

Old 05-08-2018, 02:31 AM
Flstcjay
Tourer
Received 103 Likes on 62 Posts

There’s the old saying.. not riding your Harley to keep it in good condition is like not sleeping with your woman to keep her tight for the next guy.
Ride your bike. I know lots of guys with 150k and over on their machines. Do the maintenance when needed.
Or, trade in every time you hit 60-70k.
People seem to think a Harley is an investment that retains value if you don’t put miles on it. That’s no longer the case. Plenty of bikes out there with low miles and little price tags.

The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (05-08-2018)
Old 05-08-2018, 06:07 AM
billbrummett
Tourer
Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts
Default me too

I'm retired and rode my '17 M8 RGU 35k miles last yr. I'll ride a couple times a week, 2-300 miles mostly on Florida backroads. I have the same thoughts as you, reliability? trade-in value? all that stuff. finally just dismissed it all and admitted i love riding and will take all this a day at a time. I'll prolly trade this fall for a '19 model, assuming the new models are enticing enough. when I think about, I have another yr on warranty, and can extend if i want..so all is good

Old 05-08-2018, 06:28 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 10,350 Likes on 5,494 Posts

Between 3 bikes 20 to 60K a year. It has slowed down a bit after retiring . Main reason I do not Travel for work related reasons now. I use the Sidecar more riding with Granddaughter things like that. When you trade off a bike no madder how nice it is with 70-100K on it you go in knowing there are 10 of them on then floor with less than 10K on them. You got your use out of it just the way it is. When I buy a new one always have a plan for it's replacement.
Problems with more than one bike add up. Insurance cost, Places to park them , maintenance. Up side when you start to lose the love for your Touring bike, ride the Fatboy for a week or two then get back on the Bagger. Feels like a new ride.

Old 05-08-2018, 06:36 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,347 Likes on 4,769 Posts

wife and I each average about 13-15K miles a year and that's with zero commuting, strictly for enjoyment..we don't think about anything other than trying to ride as much as we possibly can..we have 401K's, pensions and other investments..not everything has to be sensible..same as people with RV's, they get their money's worth from enjoyment and building memories

The following users liked this post:
smitty901 (05-09-2018)
Old 05-08-2018, 06:44 AM
jeffro09
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,461 Likes on 1,313 Posts

Ride baby ride. 30,000 miles put on my new 2016 Limited last year. 6000 miles already this year. I plan on seeing 100,000 miles before I even consider getting a new bike.

Are you riding too much? Hell no.

Old 05-08-2018, 07:10 AM
Solospec
Cruiser
Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Ride and enjoy it. Why keep low miles for the next buyer. I don't know for sure but having two bikes will probably cost you more in the long run, (purchase price, insurance, registration, maintenance). Unless you need an excuse for another bike.

Phil

Old 05-08-2018, 07:39 AM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,527 Posts

Originally Posted by Flstcjay
There’s the old saying.. not riding your Harley to keep it in good condition is like not sleeping with your woman to keep her tight for the next guy.
Ride your bike. I know lots of guys with 150k and over on their machines. Do the maintenance when needed.
Or, trade in every time you hit 60-70k.
People seem to think a Harley is an investment that retains value if you don’t put miles on it. That’s no longer the case. Plenty of bikes out there with low miles and little price tags.

If I were looking for a used bike or a woman, I would greatly appreciate finding two guys that had this mentality! Back to the question, between my two bikes I get about 20k a year give or take.

Old 05-08-2018, 09:11 AM
jgos929
Road Warrior
Received 219 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Flstcjay
There’s the old saying.. not riding your Harley to keep it in good condition is like not sleeping with your woman to keep her tight for the next guy
Im pretty sure you just pulled that out of your ***. Never the less its a good saying

I don't ride near enough. I office out of my house so I don't have any where to go during the week. If I do have to go into my real office then its a 4 mile round trip. Weekends Im usually super busy keeping the 3 kids occupied. I bought my 17 SG last june and I only have a little over 2000 miles as of today

Old 05-08-2018, 10:06 AM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,527 Posts

Originally Posted by jgos929
Im pretty sure you just pulled that out of your ***. Never the less its a good saying

I don't ride near enough. I office out of my house so I don't have any where to go during the week. If I do have to go into my real office then its a 4 mile round trip. Weekends Im usually super busy keeping the 3 kids occupied. I bought my 17 SG last june and I only have a little over 2000 miles as of today
2k in a year, we found the first guy in the saying! LoL, just bustin ya *****, I know things get busy and sometimes it hard to get seat time.

Quick Reply: How many miles per year?