Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions are like: HD Power Cam vs HD Torque Cam, why?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 06:18 PM
04ctd
Banned

Received 205 Likes on 149 Posts
Default Opinions are like: HD Power Cam vs HD Torque Cam, why?

was talking to the dealer about getting a new bike, and the service manager jumped in and recommended the Torque Cam, and said he had never heard of anyone using the Power Cam.

I told him at 90mph in 6th gear, you are still at ~3500 rpm's, even the Torque Cam is in the "roll on region", where you do not have to shift down to get more power.

i rode with ~95lbs worth of gear on back roads from Wilmington to Norfolk, and there several times when two or three cars (and a few school buses) were lined up, and I had a passing lane, but did not have enough motor to rocket around them. even dropping to 4th does not really make that bike roll out when loaded down.

the power cam does not give an increase over the torque cam until almost ~4500k (IIRC?)

i was surprised, the service manager said to go all HD, "because you are only losing a few HP/TQ"

and then to re-tune when out of warranty, with a PowerVision or something.
the problem(?) is i have an extended warranty, so staying within warranty for that whole period sounds Ok, even if I give up "bragging rights" for top numbers.

opinions?

Old 04-21-2018, 07:49 PM
mongomark
Road Master
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

I also have the extended warranty. I do my own maintenance. I've got aftermarket slip ons and a Powervision tuner. When I do my cam, I'll go aftermarket (probably the Woods WM8-22x). In the unlikely event I have a serious engine issue, I'll put it back to stock including the original mufflers and the stock tune. I changed my own cams on my 07 Street Glide (I used the Harley SE204's, not an EPA cam) and it's about the same difficulty level to change the cam on this bike. Will it be a pain in the ***? Yep, but it'd be worth the trouble, both with the bike's performance with the aftermarket cam as well as making sure if there is a defect the issue would be covered.

Old 04-21-2018, 10:28 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,841 Likes on 991 Posts

The SE8 447 makes about 3-4 ft/lbs of torque less than most of your aftermarket cams. I doubt you would notice much of a difference between them seat of the pants. Keeping your warranty is a smart thing at least until you get some miles on the bike to make sure there’s no problems.

The following 2 users liked this post by $tonecold:
04ctd (04-22-2018), Ronbo1 (09-27-2018)
Old 04-22-2018, 12:26 AM
SoCalHDMC
Road Captain
Received 160 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by 04ctd
was talking to the dealer about getting a new bike, and the service manager jumped in and recommended the Torque Cam, and said he had never heard of anyone using the Power Cam.

I told him at 90mph in 6th gear, you are still at ~3500 rpm's, even the Torque Cam is in the "roll on region", where you do not have to shift down to get more power.

i rode with ~95lbs worth of gear on back roads from Wilmington to Norfolk, and there several times when two or three cars (and a few school buses) were lined up, and I had a passing lane, but did not have enough motor to rocket around them. even dropping to 4th does not really make that bike roll out when loaded down.

the power cam does not give an increase over the torque cam until almost ~4500k (IIRC?)

i was surprised, the service manager said to go all HD, "because you are only losing a few HP/TQ"

and then to re-tune when out of warranty, with a PowerVision or something.
the problem(?) is i have an extended warranty, so staying within warranty for that whole period sounds Ok, even if I give up "bragging rights" for top numbers.

opinions?
Riding style should predicate cam selection. If you ride like a Grandpa (or Grandma), the 447 may be your best best. If you ride hard, you may want something with a little different profile. I don’t worry too much about dyno numbers, and certainly don’t need a dyno sheet that has bigger graph lines than all my buddies, but I have always been into vehicles, motorcycles, and boats that run hard.

That being said, I had ridden several M8’s prior to purchasing mine, including a couple with SE Stage II parts and 447 Torque cams. The 447 cam just doesn’t run hard enough on the big end for my riding style. When I got into my 50’s, I thought maybe my riding style (in regard to where on the tach. swing I find the greatest joy) would change, but not so much. Maybe when I am older! After I installed the SE Stage II parts with the 462 cam (at 1100 miles), I typically ride my Street Glide in the 2500-5000 rpm range, with occasional trips to redline (6100 courtesy of the Pro Street tuner) 1st through 3rd, or when passing on certain highways.

Love this thing. Pulls good from the bottom, runs hard on top, smooth and tractable where it counts, doesn’t miss a lick dead cold or after riding for hours in 100* weather. The stockers are way too John Deere like for my taste, and the 447 just cam didn’t make enough difference where I needed it. If I keep this thing long enough to make it out of warranty, I may swap the cam to a Red Shift 468, or even step up to a 114 and a different cam profile.

The following 4 users liked this post by SoCalHDMC:
04ctd (04-22-2018), Camarojones (03-22-2021), roadkinglobo (11-16-2019), Ronbo1 (09-27-2018)