Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FXLR 2018 forward controls

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 12:47 PM
John Kyle
Cruiser
Received 46 Likes on 25 Posts

Join "harley m8 softail owners group" on Facebook or find my "18 lowrider owners" thread under the softail section here. I put them on mine. The Facebook group has the entire parts list and helpful tips for installation. I'm actually debating on doing slim floorboards now since everyone is doing forwards! Lol

Old 04-19-2018, 03:06 PM
PilgrimsDad
Advanced
Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

John,
the spacer for the shifter that you reused "about as thick as three quarters"
Was it just a piece of rubber, like hose between the primary and shifter?
as thats whats on mine.

Old 04-19-2018, 07:07 PM
John Kyle
Cruiser
Received 46 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by PilgrimsDad
John,
the spacer for the shifter that you reused "about as thick as three quarters"
Was it just a piece of rubber, like hose between the primary and shifter?
as thats whats on mine.
it wasn't hose, it was like a hard plastic. The hole was barely too small to put on the shifter shaft.

Old 04-19-2018, 07:33 PM
PilgrimsDad
Advanced

Originally Posted by John Kyle
it wasn't hose, it was like a hard plastic. The hole was barely too small to put on the shifter shaft.
Mines soft rubber. If my hardware store doesn’t have something, even nylon washers stacked McMaster-Car will My build dated is 9/17 and they probably changed the part in production.
Thanks for the reply,
Chris

Old 06-29-2018, 10:52 AM
Rodwal
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Forward controls 2018 lowrider

Seems dealerships in the Tampa area are hesitant in providing info for forward controls on my bike. They are perhaps kit friendly with no imagination. I’ve found that more and more are posting 2018 lowrider with forward controls and am actively seeking advise. The shops around me, Tampa, Brandon Fl., have only met my request with discouragement. Even after being presented with a parts list I acquired here in this forum. Thanks to those few that have assisted.

Old 06-29-2018, 01:59 PM
Zekester
Novice
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Forwards I installed on mine are working great. Only thing i’m Doing now for comfort is install a 55800715 reach handle bar to get grips just a little further back. Headed to Southern Devil to pick it up now. Had a delay getting to this because I took a Bucket List ride for my 70th birthday on my ‘05 Superglide. Got my last 8 States of Contiguous 48 and spent my birthday on Pacific Coast. Was all I hoped for. A little tireing towards the end thou and gusty wind was a little more than I expected. 6315 miles in 14 days. Back to Georgia, Work, Wife and Grandkids. A trip I will never forget.

Old 07-10-2018, 11:03 PM
P51Driver
Road Warrior
Received 195 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Zekester
I Posted this some weeks ago. Copied and pasted it here. Hope this helps. My forwards are on and work Wonderfully well. Zeke

Forward controls on my LowRiderI, like some here, fell in love of the 2018 M8 Lowrider. Test rode one in November. Love the Look, Handles Great, Tons of Torque. Problem is I have to have my feet farther forwards. I ride 600-700 mile days when on a long trip. Knew after the 8 mile test ride I couldn’t do that with the Mid controls. Did a lot of research in P&A Catalog to find nothing available. Ordered The Factory Parts Catalog, #94000528. Not cheap, but I intended to buy the Bike in January. Your Dealer may check for you. Made a list of differences between FXLR Lowrider and FXBR Breakout. All the M8 Softails share a Common Frame. Bought my new Lowrider in mid Jan. Ordered #33600132 forward shift lever, #50600206 Brake mounting Bracket, 2 #11191 o-ring, 1 #6057 spacer out of parts book for new shift lever. Looked up other pieces for FXBR in P&A cat. Ordered #50500693 Chrome foot peg mount kit. It includes both forward foot peg mounts and has bushings in one for new forward shift lever. I ordered #33600167 foot shift lever and #41600218 chrome brake lever. Also needed a new shift linkage from new forward shift lever to Transmission lever. I chose 33760-09. There are other choices in P&A. Shift lever needs a shift peg and brake lever needs a pad. I went with “Defiance” style pegs and pad. I also got Defiance front and rear Foot pegs because I like the style. There are lots of other choices, just be sure they fit a M8 FXBR Breakout. All that leaves is a chrome cap for old mid shift lever. I ordered one from J.P. cycle. Please check with your parts man or catalog to verify these numbers. They worked for me. P&A catalog is free at most dealers. Hopes this helps, Ride safe, Zeke.
How did you remove the mid control shifter shaft in the primary?
Did you have to remove the primary housing to remove the shaft?
How did you seal up the hole in the backside of the primary housing where the shifter shaft was?
Thanks

Last edited by P51Driver; 07-10-2018 at 11:05 PM.
Old 07-11-2018, 05:40 AM
PilgrimsDad
Advanced

Originally Posted by P51Driver
How did you remove the mid control shifter shaft in the primary?
Did you have to remove the primary housing to remove the shaft?
How did you seal up the hole in the backside of the primary housing where the shifter shaft was?
Thanks
You remove the shaft with a 1/4 drive and extension. Access is between the engine case and the inside primary cover. Remove the bolt and the shaft will come right out leaving the linkage free to pull up or drop out the bottom. The inner and outer covers have pressed in bushings just like on your new parts. There is no need to plug the back side as a gasket there is oil tight and the raceway is cast into the two covers. No need to remove Primary cover at all. On The H-D website under Owners Documents you will find about 700 pages with diagrams and part numbers. You cans print any pages you need. I used a mirror to look down where these parts are, don’t worry if you drop a socket in there it just falls out the bottom.

The following users liked this post:
P51Driver (07-11-2018)
Old 07-29-2018, 07:34 AM
Blackgto67
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Zekester, How did you like your Reach Handlebars? Got some, they don't appear much different than stock. I dont want to install them yet,

Old 07-29-2018, 10:28 AM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,798 Likes on 964 Posts

Originally Posted by John Kyle
Join "harley m8 softail owners group" on Facebook or find my "18 lowrider owners" thread under the softail section here. I put them on mine. The Facebook group has the entire parts list and helpful tips for installation. I'm actually debating on doing slim floorboards now since everyone is doing forwards! Lol
I had a 2011 FXDB that came with forward controls. Did a little over a hundred miles on it one day and knew they weren’t for me. I put floor boards on it and it was good after that. I’m sure I could have done four or five hundred miles a day without any problem.

The following users liked this post:
BgNH (08-30-2018)

Quick Reply: FXLR 2018 forward controls