Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SE Tuner & PowerVision required for Stage 2??

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 11:32 PM
lithod02
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default SE Tuner & PowerVision required for Stage 2??

I was told by dealer where I bought my 18 SGS, that a SE Pro Street Tuner and Power Vision were required to keep warranty when doing a Stage 1 or above. Anyone else heard of this? Sounds like they just want to sell more parts.

Old 04-15-2018, 11:34 PM
lithod02
Cruiser

Also I bought the extended warranty, if that would make a difference.

Old 04-15-2018, 11:58 PM
davewear
Road Warrior
Received 197 Likes on 135 Posts

That’s kinda ridiculous never mind it doesn’t make sense... get them to put that in writing lol.

Old 04-16-2018, 12:04 AM
lithod02
Cruiser

Yea kinda what I was thinking, they said they would tune it with the PV and put the tune on the SE Tuner and if it was hooked up to a computer MoCo would only see the SE Tuner to keep the warranty. So a PV voids warranty? Couldn't get a straight answer from service department.

Old 04-16-2018, 12:13 AM
1Canuck
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,439 Posts

A load of crap that is. The PV is superior to the street tuner. But they are both tuners. Tuning with PV will get a good tune Pretty much only the VE can be pasted into the street tuner and then flashed to the ecm. But some of the PV data already in the ecm will be overwritten. Really do not know if they are scamming you or they do not know what thye are doing.
BTW, the SE street tuner flash will protect your warranty.

Old 04-16-2018, 12:19 AM
lithod02
Cruiser

Well if the PV overwrites anything in ECM, maybe that is what they mean by using the SE Tuner. I will be calling a couple other dealerships for a second opinion. I can install my own air cleaner, and head pipes. Already did slip-ons. Just wanted dealer to do Stage 2 (cams and dyno).

Originally Posted by 1Canuck
A load of crap that is. The PV is superior to the street tuner. But they are both tuners. Tuning with PV will get a good tune Pretty much only the VE can be pasted into the street tuner and then flashed to the ecm. But some of the PV data already in the ecm will be overwritten. Really do not know if they are scamming you or they do not know what thye are doing.
BTW, the SE street tuner flash will protect your warranty.

Old 04-16-2018, 12:25 AM
1Canuck
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,439 Posts

Originally Posted by lithod02
Well if the PV overwrites anything in ECM, maybe that is what they mean by using the SE Tuner. I will be calling a couple other dealerships for a second opinion. I can install my own air cleaner, and head pipes. Already did slip-ons. Just wanted dealer to do Stage 2 (cams and dyno).
The ecm comes with a stock map. Either/any tuner will write over the stock map. using an SE street tuner is the only tuner they (HD) say keeps the warranty. The PV is capable of fine tuning the timing and more. The SE street is limited to a preprogrammed file for HD only add on parts.

Old 04-16-2018, 12:30 AM
lithod02
Cruiser

Got it, thanks for the info. Going to do some calling around and see what I can come up with. May be able to get away with just SEPST at another dealer. Just wanting more sound and power from M8 like everyone else

Old 04-16-2018, 07:52 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,349 Likes on 4,769 Posts

Originally Posted by lithod02
Yea kinda what I was thinking, they said they would tune it with the PV and put the tune on the SE Tuner and if it was hooked up to a computer MoCo would only see the SE Tuner to keep the warranty. So a PV voids warranty? Couldn't get a straight answer from service department.
if the Mothership finds they are using a non compliant tuner on an otherwise compliant tuned bike they are in deep doo doo $$ penalty wise..that's a huge no no

Attached Thumbnails SE Tuner & PowerVision required for Stage 2??-12673315.jpg  
Old 04-16-2018, 10:20 AM
BVBOB
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Here is what they are likely doing, they are probably loading a map from the "Street tuner" and then pulling it and modifying it with the PV, When read on the Digital technician it will read "street tuned" I have seen this at a local dealer and verified it myself

Quick Reply: SE Tuner & PowerVision required for Stage 2??