Sponsored by:

Touring Power Cam???

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 05:37 AM
badcooky
Banned
Received 473 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalHDMC

After riding several ‘17 107’s with 447 torque cams, along with the prerequisite pipes/air filter/tuner, and being largely unimpressed (I know, everyone rides differently), I opted for the 462 Power cam. As I have stated in previous threads, I found the rev limiter very early on in my ownership, and definitely did not like the tractor-like personality of the stock cam and tuning.

Shortly after the 1000 mile service, I installed the SE Street Cannons, Ventilator, Power cam and Pro Street tuner.

Pulls strong off the bottom (I can drag it down to 2000 RPM and roll into the throttle deep, no downshifting, with no balking out of engine), and pulls hard from 3000 to the top (6150 or so).

Fun to ride now, I routinely run it to redline in 2nd and 3rd when out for a run, 5500 in 4th, then back to normalcy in 5th and 6th. Just rode another torque cam equipped M8 Sunday. I don’t believe my riding style fits with the power band of that particular camshaft.

Maybe when I am older, but who knows, I will be 55 on the next one, and I still love to ride at the upper portion of the tach. swing. BTW, 4687 miles on the clock when I parked it Sunday.

You're only young once man .

Old 02-28-2018, 07:12 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,365 Likes on 4,776 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalHDMC

After riding several ‘17 107’s with 447 torque cams, along with the prerequisite pipes/air filter/tuner, and being largely unimpressed (I know, everyone rides differently), I opted for the 462 Power cam. As I have stated in previous threads, I found the rev limiter very early on in my ownership, and definitely did not like the tractor-like personality of the stock cam and tuning.

Shortly after the 1000 mile service, I installed the SE Street Cannons, Ventilator, Power cam and Pro Street tuner.

Pulls strong off the bottom (I can drag it down to 2000 RPM and roll into the throttle deep, no downshifting, with no balking out of engine), and pulls hard from 3000 to the top (6150 or so).

Fun to ride now, I routinely run it to redline in 2nd and 3rd when out for a run, 5500 in 4th, then back to normalcy in 5th and 6th. Just rode another torque cam equipped M8 Sunday. I don’t believe my riding style fits with the power band of that particular camshaft.

Maybe when I am older, but who knows, I will be 55 on the next one, and I still love to ride at the upper portion of the tach. swing. BTW, 4687 miles on the clock when I parked it Sunday.

good review and perspective, food for thought for those contemplating which to choose

The following users liked this post:
SoCalHDMC (02-28-2018)
Old 02-28-2018, 10:42 AM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 619 Likes on 426 Posts

The reason the graph doesn’t look right is because the operator did not set up the software properly.
Dyno graphs, because of the math, will always cross at 5250. If they don’t the scaling is different for torque vs hp.
Also the fact the torque goes virtually flat indicates either “best” timing or AFR has not been found. Maybe it’s just a breakin calibration and will final tune the bike after it gets miles on it?
Bob

Old 02-28-2018, 12:21 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,688 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by Deputyrj
If anyone wants to challenge the authenticity of the dyno feel free. The bottom numbers are the stage 1 when I had power cams done with intake and Mastertune. The second set of higher numbers are a Stage III plus the head work by Vance and Hines. I trust the Service Manager completely who worked for Harley for 13 years and 5 for Vance and helping design cams. The reason he sends the heads out is because as you can see (or disbelieve) the goal is to maintain 100 lbs torque as long as possible. Mine lasts from 3000 rpm through 5250. If you look at a stage III by itself it’s approximately 1500 rpm range. I took the photo off the dyno screen so it is grainy but don’t need to alter a document just to offer my opinion on the cams alone.

So you first had a Stage II, this is the exhaust, air cleaner and power cam. Then you went to a stage III kit with additional head work and different cam. The dyno chart is wrong as the Torque and Hp lines must cross at 5252 RPM. My guess is that the dyno operator had the scales set different and that would cause them to move. If you check with them I am sure you will find that was the case. Also the person your are describing most likely knows who I am since I worked with HD for 12+ years.

Old 02-28-2018, 02:35 PM
FLSTFI Dave
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,989 Likes on 2,365 Posts

Originally Posted by FatBob2018
Looks a little odd to me too. The Horsepower and Torque lines always cross over at 5250 rpms, it's part of the forumula, it cannot be any other way. But that chart shows them crossing at 4750 and 4900 RPMs. That's ... weird.
Something is not right with the dyno run. As you say, does not matter what kind of gas engine, torque and hp always cross at 5250.

Originally Posted by Deputyrj
If anyone wants to challenge the authenticity of the dyno feel free. The bottom numbers are the stage 1 when I had power cams done with intake and Mastertune. The second set of higher numbers are a Stage III plus the head work by Vance and Hines. I trust the Service Manager completely who worked for Harley for 13 years and 5 for Vance and helping design cams. The reason he sends the heads out is because as you can see (or disbelieve) the goal is to maintain 100 lbs torque as long as possible. Mine lasts from 3000 rpm through 5250. If you look at a stage III by itself it’s approximately 1500 rpm range. I took the photo off the dyno screen so it is grainy but don’t need to alter a document just to offer my opinion on the cams alone.
So why doesn't your torque and hp cross at 5250 rpm like all gas engines do? A simple google search will show you torque and hp cross at 5250 rpm.

So why does it say your peak hp is 116 but the graph barely shows 110?

Something is fishy or not scaled right or maybe there are two scales and your only showing one.

Only four pulls to tune the bike? Run 1 is the low number and run 4 is the high number.

I would want some answers from my tuner if I was given that chart / graph

Old 02-28-2018, 07:06 PM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts

The dyno sheet is junk. The tq printed numbers don't match the graph. Hp looks to be ok.

Old 02-28-2018, 09:49 PM
badcooky
Banned

Yea it's some kind of bogus not sure which.

Old 03-01-2018, 12:29 AM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 619 Likes on 426 Posts

The reason the numbers aren’t right is because of the scaling on the other side you cant see. Those numbers are different.
For whatever reason somehow the scaling got changed in the software. I’m sure it’s an oversight?
Bob

Old 03-01-2018, 01:15 AM
badcooky
Banned

Originally Posted by FLTRI17
The reason the numbers aren’t right is because of the scaling on the other side you cant see. Those numbers are different.
For whatever reason somehow the scaling got changed in the software. I’m sure it’s an oversight?
Bob
I'd say you're right man .

Old 03-01-2018, 09:03 AM
103Eagle
Road Master
Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts

Thanks for the replies...........keep em commin.........no debates please.........just reviews and results. THANKS!

Eagle Out

Quick Reply: Touring Power Cam???