Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

People say Harley’s are priced too high

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 02:34 AM
badcooky
Banned
Received 473 Likes on 370 Posts

Same lifters as the Twin cam .http://www.jamesrussellpublishing.bi...buyharley.html
Always a pleasure .

Old 03-01-2018, 06:41 AM
TomcatCV62
Road Warrior
Received 237 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by oleboy
Hurl all the insults you like at me.

It is what it is - 11,000 miles and he felt strongly enough about what he saw to post a warning.

I wonder what he and the other aftermarket guys are going to find after these things get some significant miles on them.
Well this will be one of the subjects that I will agree with Oleboy on. Its really hard to argue the fact that the CVO had premature wear on the lifters and the cam. I saw the burning within the cylinder and that concerns me as well. Shame isnt it........ wonder what mine looks like? Anyway, I guess in a year or two, Ill be making that trip up north to do a stage two and replace the lifters as well. The cylinder? gonna have to roll the dice on that one..... Now, as for Oleboy, youre right about this as you know...... How does that make you feel about the state of Harley Davidson? Unless they get their **** together, they will eventually fade away or... be bought out by someone. Im thinking that eventually they will be bought out by someone.

Old 03-01-2018, 06:55 AM
badcooky
Banned

I think that engine was run in slow man , the rings didn't bed from being pushed hard new, you probably won't move me from that stance ever Tommy. I genuinely believe the rings have to be pushed out into the barrels in the first few heat cycles hard AF not flogged but driven , I've run in enough new toys to know that one is solid.
Yes I believe the piston and ring seal was less than stellar from the get go but that's then exacerbated with a slow run in.We also don't know how the owner ran that bike Tom , do we , we don't know if it ran in traffic lean AF or WOFO on the rev limiter , one thing is sure I'd know my bike was sick long before the barrels looked like that man. That bikes performance would of had to be way down. I'd say that bike was 5/8 of **** all away from sumping if it hadn't already.
The lifters well they're the same as the Twin Cam so that's quality continuity , if that's junk well it's not new junk right.
I'll give Oleboy kudos for acting like a human being these days though , it wasn't always like this .
Cheers Tommy.

Last edited by badcooky; 03-01-2018 at 07:05 AM.
The following users liked this post:
TomcatCV62 (03-01-2018)
Old 03-01-2018, 07:02 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 267 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by psyshack
The problem is Harley is still hung in the last century. The new suspension on the touring bikes is a failure. New and updated means 1980 tech in the real world. It doesn't even have adjustable antidive that the FJ1100 and 1200's had in the mid 80's. The frame tech dates back to the 1960's in design, construction and materials. And HD's braking systems are comical not to mention failure prown. The new soft tails are a move in the right direction. And I think there better in every way than the dynas. But thats not new tech. Vincents had rear monoshock in the 1950's.

All the new bikes have adjustable suspension thats amazing! Frame tech HD hasn't a clue about. Adjustable ABS and traction control. And common place great braking packages. The suspension of my FJR1300 is amazing. Dealer even hacked the control mod. And turned on it's built in Lean angle ABS and Traction control. This feature has not been officially released yet.

Wife and I get on the 2017 King and it's over priced old school. We get on the 2017 FJR1300 and it's modern, fast, comfy. Adjustable seat, bars, pegs and the FJR is a very old design in the bike world and at the end of it's current life cycle.

If I was going to buy another touring frame scooter it would not be a HD. The tech in the fairing is all dirt cheap china crap no matter how you cut it. The real tech is in the engine, frame, suspension, braking and control systems. Of which HD hasn't a clue. 115 years of stagnation.
Yep, all true.

Damnedest business model I ever saw or heard of - but if it works...

Old 03-01-2018, 07:10 AM
badcooky
Banned

Originally Posted by jpooch00
Yep, all true.

Damnedest business model I ever saw or heard of - but if it works...
We may have ourselves to blame Jpooch we blindly follow this brand through most if not all of our adult life man.
we've busted our knuckles on fools that spat on them and fixed the ****ing things by the side of the road when they went bad , put them in the pick up when we couldn't get them going, blind eyed we defended them for decades . Then when we got old it's all we know.
It's sorta like "we have met the enemy " and they are us.
Cheers man.

Last edited by badcooky; 03-01-2018 at 07:14 AM.
Old 03-01-2018, 07:12 AM
TomcatCV62
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by badcooky
I think that engine was run in slow man , the rings didn't bed from being pushed hard new, you probably won't move me from that stance ever Tommy. I genuinely believe the rings have to be pushed out into the barrels in the first few heat cycles hard AF not flogged but driven , I've run in enough new toys to know that one is solid.
Yes I believe the piston and ring seal was less than stellar from the get go but that's then exacerbated with a slow run in.We also don't know how the owner ran that bike Tom , do we , we don't know if it ran in traffic lean AF or WOFO on the rev limiter , one thing is sure I'd know my bike was sick long before the barrels looked like that man. That bikes performance would of had to be way down. I'd say that bike was 5/8 of **** all away from sumping if it hadn't already.
The lifters well they're the same as the Twin Cam so that's quality continuity , if that's junk well it's not new junk right.
I'll give Oleboy kudos for acting like a human being these days though , it wasn't always like this .
Cheers Tommy.
All true. Thing is, I will buy a stage 2 next year or the year after that. Probably next year. I will have Fuel Moto do it, the ride up there should be really nice as soon as I get north of Milwaukee. Im going to ride the heck out of this bike, when I get a little older and dont want to drive the albatross around anymore....... Ill get a new road king. Hopefully, the bugs will all be worked out by then.........

Old 03-01-2018, 07:15 AM
TomcatCV62
Road Warrior

I was thinking i will use the S&S cam and lifters too. They seem to make really good parts. I will also look into replacing the oil pump and cam plate with the fueling products. I hope that will be a winning combination. Should be.

Old 03-01-2018, 07:20 AM
badcooky
Banned

Originally Posted by TomcatCV62
All true. Thing is, I will buy a stage 2 next year or the year after that. Probably next year. I will have Fuel Moto do it, the ride up there should be really nice as soon as I get north of Milwaukee. Im going to ride the heck out of this bike, when I get a little older and dont want to drive the albatross around anymore....... Ill get a new road king. Hopefully, the bugs will all be worked out by then.........
Is it not what warranty is for Tom ???
I was amped to go stage 1 then stage 2 with my bike and a SEPST(orange) my dealer who I've known for over forty years has said I would have warranty but have I really ?? What if I'm not in my patch of turf and it goes out ? So I've gone away from that hey , I think HD will be overlord because of these QC control issues and shut a lot of that down man.
My bike goes dang well enough to keep it stock for that small amount of time , so i'll just flog the fug out of it and if it goes down it goes down and in that time the aftermarket will have a clearer plan for 120 cubes and a cam hey.

The following users liked this post:
TomcatCV62 (03-01-2018)
Old 03-01-2018, 07:24 AM
TomcatCV62
Road Warrior

Next year in June my 2 year warranty runs out. I will look at all of my options before that. Maybe I will extend it another two years, maybe not. I will know more after this riding season, which hasnt really arrived yet. Until then... she sits in storage......... playing the waiting game. Cant wait to retire, I will be riding in florida one day..... hopefully.

Old 03-01-2018, 07:26 AM
roadpop
Tourer
Location: Living 33yrs in Sunny Florida !!! Living the retirement dream....Love it!!!
Received 85 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by PFWiz
Unless they sold the bike for almost $8K over MSRP I call Bull Shoot!

http://www.seedealercost.com/product...ug/powersports
When you figure in normal list price markup, maybe they got the trade-in cheap and kicked the difference into gross profit, dealer fees, F&I income, extended warranties, maintainance policies, paint sealants, etc.
Yes 15k profit is absolutely possible..Lots of high 5s when that customer left!!!

Last weekend I met a guy who just took delivery on a 18 Road Glide and told me he paid 7000 for an extended warranty,service package and he seemed ok with it...his 2nd Harley he went from a skirtster..

Quick Reply: People say Harley’s are priced too high