Sponsored by:

People say Harley’s are priced too high

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 11:50 AM
jd05flhtci
Road Warrior
Received 311 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
Saw a dealer lot person filling up a new Ford Raptor. It had a price on it for $115K. MSRP of $85K, $15K in dealer installed accessories, $15K dealer market adjustment.

Who in the heck would use a $115K pickup truck for what a pick up truck is intended for? Probably the same people that buy fully loaded $100K+ Range Rovers that are never off the pavement. But, for those that want the ultimate macho pickup truck, they probably think it’s a great deal.
You sir are spot on but no different than the Harley dealers marking up cvo's or any other special models. The solar eclipse series a few years ago some dealers were asking 70k or more. Biggest problem with Harley and why people think they are expensive is
1.They dont discount
2. Have the biggest markup of any motorcycle manufacture
3. They have set the price for the metric bikes. The metrics have raised price inline with HD because we will pay it. It is no different with the automotive market. Trucks have gotten out of hand on prices but people keep paying

Old 02-28-2018, 01:27 PM
jamala00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,774 Likes on 2,801 Posts

Originally Posted by jd05flhtci
You sir are spot on but no different than the Harley dealers marking up cvo's or any other special models. The solar eclipse series a few years ago some dealers were asking 70k or more. Biggest problem with Harley and why people think they are expensive is
1.They dont discount
2. Have the biggest markup of any motorcycle manufacture
3. They have set the price for the metric bikes. The metrics have raised price inline with HD because we will pay it. It is no different with the automotive market. Trucks have gotten out of hand on prices but people keep paying
Yep, because they can get the payments to still come out the same because financial institutions will now give you a 7 year term on new vehicles. I read on BankRate.com that 23 percent of new auto loans were for 73 - 84 months. If that is true... Man, you are soooo upside down on those terms. Most people don't look at the cost of the vehicle, they look at the monthly payment.

Old 02-28-2018, 01:35 PM
jd05flhtci
Road Warrior
Received 311 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by jamala00
Yep, because they can get the payments to still come out the same because financial institutions will now give you a 7 year term on new vehicles. I read on BankRate.com that 23 percent of new auto loans were for 73 - 84 months. If that is true... Man, you are soooo upside down on those terms. Most people don't look at the cost of the vehicle, they look at the monthly payment.
You are exactly right. My best friend was in auto finance for years and has shared some stories and information with me. People buy budgets not value. To many people upside down and find creative ways to get of debt to just get into more. Banks will finance anyone with a job anymore. Lots of low mileage vehicles out there that were reprocessed and another new one sold lol

Old 02-28-2018, 07:43 PM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Kwlambright
Well tonight I did a little investigating into the prices of other new bikes as compared to my 18 Electra Glide Ultra and came away with this answer, the new Yamaha touring bike when built like my ultra was more than the price of my ultra and did not come with as much as I got stock. The new Goldwing is more and even though it is a smooth ride it would not have suited me in the ergonomics as I have had too many knee surgeries and can’t ride with my knees bent. Both look like good bikes but the cost is at and really a little more than I paid. Prices on all are high, had sticker shock but my wife gave me the blessing, and I believe I got the best bike for me.
The problem is Harley is still hung in the last century. The new suspension on the touring bikes is a failure. New and updated means 1980 tech in the real world. It doesn't even have adjustable antidive that the FJ1100 and 1200's had in the mid 80's. The frame tech dates back to the 1960's in design, construction and materials. And HD's braking systems are comical not to mention failure prown. The new soft tails are a move in the right direction. And I think there better in every way than the dynas. But thats not new tech. Vincents had rear monoshock in the 1950's.

All the new bikes have adjustable suspension thats amazing! Frame tech HD hasn't a clue about. Adjustable ABS and traction control. And common place great braking packages. The suspension of my FJR1300 is amazing. Dealer even hacked the control mod. And turned on it's built in Lean angle ABS and Traction control. This feature has not been officially released yet.

Wife and I get on the 2017 King and it's over priced old school. We get on the 2017 FJR1300 and it's modern, fast, comfy. Adjustable seat, bars, pegs and the FJR is a very old design in the bike world and at the end of it's current life cycle.

If I was going to buy another touring frame scooter it would not be a HD. The tech in the fairing is all dirt cheap china crap no matter how you cut it. The real tech is in the engine, frame, suspension, braking and control systems. Of which HD hasn't a clue. 115 years of stagnation.

The following users liked this post:
jd05flhtci (03-01-2018)
Old 02-28-2018, 08:18 PM
badcooky
Banned
Received 473 Likes on 370 Posts

I say people who say prices are too high are too high .

Old 02-28-2018, 10:47 PM
oleboy
Road Master
Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by badcooky
I say people who say prices are too high are too high .
I saw that Jamie has posted some disassembly observations about one of those 2017 $40K CVO bikes with 11,000 miles that had scored the camshaft, about lunched a lifter and had poor cylinder ring seal. I haven't touched the monkey weed and I think these motors are junk and the bike prices are too high.

Old 03-01-2018, 01:12 AM
badcooky
Banned

Originally Posted by oleboy
I saw that Jamie has posted some disassembly observations about one of those 2017 $40K CVO bikes with 11,000 miles that had scored the camshaft, about lunched a lifter and had poor cylinder ring seal. I haven't touched the monkey weed and I think these motors are junk and the bike prices are too high.
Facebook Post

Yea i saw what Jamie posted but it doesn't look lunched yet to me ,it was still running when he pulled it down ,so you just can't help yourself can you .
Mate you can't afford one anyways so keep your Twin cam or Schwinn or whatever you've got and remember to drop by the M8 section every time you get new bike envy because you can't afford one.
Cheers .

The following users liked this post:
lh4x4 (03-04-2018)
Old 03-01-2018, 01:34 AM
oleboy
Road Master

https://www.facebook.com/FuelMoto/vi...4970918851534/

Yea i saw what Jamie posted but it doesn't look lunched yet to me ,it was still running when he pulled it down ,so you just can't help yourself can you .
Mate you can't afford one anyways so keep your Twin cam or Schwinn or whatever you've got and remember to drop by the M8 section every time you get new bike envy because you can't afford one.
Cheers .
11,000 miles buddy.

Sure it was still running, and it would have probably continued running until the roller or the cam journal de-laminated. I'm just saying you shouldn't be seeing cam journal scoring or poor ring seal on a motor with 11,000 miles on it. It has nothing to do with what I can afford to purchase. Plain and simple, it's junk.

Old 03-01-2018, 01:42 AM
badcooky
Banned

Well thanks for dropping by and when you buy a new Schwinn keep us posted.

Old 03-01-2018, 02:19 AM
oleboy
Road Master

Well thanks for dropping by and when you buy a new Schwinn keep us posted.
Hurl all the insults you like at me.

It is what it is - 11,000 miles and he felt strongly enough about what he saw to post a warning.

I wonder what he and the other aftermarket guys are going to find after these things get some significant miles on them.

Quick Reply: People say Harley’s are priced too high