Sponsored by:

People say Harley’s are priced too high

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 07:23 AM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by blackxpress
I expect the real reason MoCo is fighting Trump's tariffs has less to do with the price of steel than with the fact they are afraid of what a trade war will do to their overseas sales. True an increase in steel prices will drive up the price of a new Harley be a few hundred dollars but the typical new Harley buyer will hardly even notice that, especially if that increase is amortized over the life of a loan.
As if the MoCo has no poo on there tongue over tariffs they used to limit displacement on import bikes back in the day when they were going under and building the worse motorcycles in the world. Or how they are crying in flat track now over there lack of engineering and execution. HD cries around in flat track like Ferrari does in F1. Can't win it's everybody else's fault.

Wonder how come HD didn't partner with GM, Ford, John Deer or CAT all American icons and invest in a steel mill and foundry operations. OOO they built the museum were all the pirates could hang out. That will be good for the company,,,, marketing!

The following 2 users liked this post by psyshack:
jd05flhtci (03-10-2018), Yamaharley (03-10-2018)
Old 03-10-2018, 09:27 AM
Cbyway
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 786 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by oleboy
It's your imagination.
Thanks for clearing that up

Old 03-10-2018, 09:29 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,604 Likes on 2,725 Posts

Originally Posted by psyshack
Wonder how come HD didn't partner with GM, Ford, John Deer or CAT all American icons and invest in a steel mill and foundry operations.
Because other countries can do this less expensively, and should.

Old 03-10-2018, 09:44 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,355 Likes on 4,772 Posts

I knew it, has to be Trump's fault!

Old 03-10-2018, 10:03 AM
Mr B-Rad
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Everything is high

I think everything is priced high!! However, my 17 Ultra Limited is very comfortable and everything I was looking for with no complaints, We do 600 + miles in a day. I could go more on my Harley!!

Old 03-10-2018, 11:07 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,604 Likes on 2,725 Posts

To summarize, we want high quality inexpensive Harley's that are made 100% in the USA, right?

Old 03-10-2018, 04:09 PM
dceggert
Road Master
Received 511 Likes on 269 Posts

If you want other countries to make and build everything cheap, some with near slave labor, how are you and your family going to make money? You gonna move to china to build phones for a few dollars a day?

The following 2 users liked this post by dceggert:
jd05flhtci (03-10-2018), smitty901 (03-11-2018)
Old 03-10-2018, 07:07 PM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Keithhu
Because other countries can do this less expensively, and should.
So you take the power and might of some of the largest company's in the world and they can't band together and make a quality economic sound product with the raw materials native in North America? BS!!!! There are still companies in America that have there own mills and foundries. Aurora and Goulds still churn out there own steels and cast iron. I quit a Bell & Gossett rep after 15 years when those bastards started getting China crap metals and went up on there already to high prices. And I will quit my current employer if I start seeing China crap metals in our pumps. Nixons grave should be pissed on daily and his family hunted down and drawn and quartered for kicking open the Chine door.

Harley has been wanting to sell me boots. I went by a dealer today found a pair of boots that fit well looked to be made well. And didn't look like gay pirate boots and no metrosexual side zippers. Bought them,,, get home pull the tongue out and there made in Vietnam! F... Harley. I called a local boot maker that will make me a hand made pair of boots to fit for $50.00 more than the HD branded Vietnam boots. And if I want them tooled up and with gay pirate medallions and such they will be glad to do it.

The following 2 users liked this post by psyshack:
jd05flhtci (03-10-2018), Yamaharley (03-10-2018)
Old 03-10-2018, 10:53 PM
oleboy
Road Master
Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
interesting read/perspective..some truths in there for sure
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...cess/32690987/

"The problem is today's new crop of bike buyer isn't interested in the motorcycle gang persona or in paying a premium for a heavyweight bike. They are turning their back on the brand, which is why U.S. sales of Harley-Davidson motorcycles fell 8% last year and are down 13.5% over the past three years. Globally, they're down 6% and 10%, respectively."
Good read. Pretty much what I said at #207. They sell an image/brand, and that ain't selling so well now. Once that peters out for them, they are done.

No one is buying these things for any other reason than image/brand. If folks truly want a touring motorcycle to just lay down miles, there are much better options.

Old 03-11-2018, 06:05 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,355 Likes on 4,772 Posts

Originally Posted by oleboy
Good read. Pretty much what I said at #207. They sell an image/brand, and that ain't selling so well now. Once that peters out for them, they are done.

No one is buying these things for any other reason than image/brand. If folks truly want a touring motorcycle to just lay down miles, there are much better options.
hard to argue that..HD has the highest Brand Loyalty ratings by a long shot despite being mid pack at best in reliability rankings and overall operating costs..and no owners of any other brand come close to spending the amount of money on accessories and apparel as Harley owners do..we all know that..just affirms that image is what's been driving all that..still get immense enjoyment riding my bike but the fact remains that demand is in decline as millennials replace baby boomers...HD is going to need to make some serious adjustments to stay afloat in the future.

Quick Reply: People say Harley’s are priced too high