Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

People say Harley’s are priced too high

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 09:18 AM
TomcatCV62
Road Warrior
Received 237 Likes on 189 Posts

It would be sweet if they bought back the old kick start.......... That would be cool.

Old 03-09-2018, 09:39 AM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,526 Likes on 1,089 Posts

Originally Posted by TomcatCV62
It would be sweet if they bought back the old kick start.......... That would be cool.
Not for the old harley riders or ppl with bad knees. lol

Old 03-09-2018, 10:46 AM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by badcooky
A slight over simplification but here goes .
Those of us that own a new motorcycle , understand they're at a fairly high price point,and somewhat with that goes a brand loyalty inclusion but nonetheless we all bought one knowing what the cost impost, it's simply the price of admission to this new Harley groove most of us are on.
Those who can't afford one and don't have a new bike are going to say they're at too high a price point for what you're getting and for what you're getting per dollar they'll waffle that they're junk and unreliable and that's why they don't own one rather than admit they are underfunded.
Somewhere in the middle is the truth.
Oxycontin rooolz !
sounds like self justification to me, nothing could be further from the truth.

when I decided to buy myself a new "final" bike, given my age ( upper 60's ) and riding history, 28 years on Harleys, I didn't worry one bit about the dollars. I simply wanted to buy the bike that fit my wants the best. I know Harleys pretty well after owning 12 of them, there pros and cons. I wanted and actually needed a lighter bike than my previous 14 Limited due to a gut health issue, decided to live without a tour pak for a lower center of gravity and reduced weight.

when I started looking I narrowed my options to a new Road Glide Special, a new Heritage with the 114 and the new BMW K1600B or Bagger. It was a tough decision. Fortunately I really liked the looks of the new BMW K1600B, designed by Rolland Sands in his California studio so I decided to test ride one.

While the bikes overall experience blew my mind, the details, features also grabbed my attention. Features I had always wished for were here and I wasn't paying $40,000 to get them. Keyless locking system including the steering neck. Real time tire pressure readout, heated seat and grips. Clutchless shifting option, When I do use the clutch it's so smooth and easy. Power windshied. The best linked ABS brakes I have ever experienced, you only use the hand brake. The rear brake pedal is only used when you actually want to use back brake only, like on gravel. Power adjustable suspension allows you to select between one up, two up and luggage. The suspension also adjust to your riding preference, smooth freeway rides or firm for cornering, spirited riding. The suspension even adjust as you corner. The headlight even adjust as you corner to help you see around the curve. Has a hill hold feature, holds the bike in place without holding the brakes. The stereo system is separate from the Navigation. It is easy to remove from the bike, you can map your trips with your computer. Has real blue tooth wireless, on and on.

all for the same price roughly as a Road Glide special. What you get for your money was no comparison. The performance comparison is not even close. Same for ride, handling and braking.

in my humble opinion, this illustration of what you get for your money is one of Harleys challenges, it's not the 25K, it's what you get for that money.

The following users liked this post:
jd05flhtci (03-09-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 10:59 AM
hd_usa
Tourer
Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by scottt

when I decided to buy myself a new "final" bike, given my age ( upper 60's ) and riding history, 28 years on Harleys, I didn't worry one bit about the dollars. I simply wanted to buy the bike that fit my wants the best. I know Harleys pretty well after owning 12 of them, there pros and cons. I wanted and actually needed a lighter bike than my previous 14 Limited due to a gut health issue, decided to live without a tour pak for a lower center of gravity and reduced weight.

when I started looking I narrowed my options to a new Road Glide Special, a new Heritage with the 114 and the new BMW K1600B or Bagger. It was a tough decision. Fortunately I really liked the looks of the new BMW K1600B, designed by Rolland Sands in his California studio so I decided to test ride one.

While the bikes overall experience blew my mind, the details, features also grabbed my attention. Features I had always wished for were here and I wasn't paying $40,000 to get them. Keyless locking system including the steering neck. Real time tire pressure readout, heated seat and grips. Clutchless shifting option, When I do use the clutch it's so smooth and easy. Power windshied. The best linked ABS brakes I have ever experienced, you only use the hand brake. The rear brake pedal is only used when you actually want to use back brake only, like on gravel. Power adjustable suspension allows you to select between one up, two up and luggage. The suspension also adjust to your riding preference, smooth freeway rides or firm for cornering, spirited riding. The suspension even adjust as you corner. The headlight even adjust as you corner to help you see around the curve. Has a hill hold feature, holds the bike in place without holding the brakes. The stereo system is separate from the Navigation. It is easy to remove from the bike, you can map your trips with your computer. Has real blue tooth wireless, on and on.

all for the same price roughly as a Road Glide special. What you get for your money was no comparison. The performance comparison is not even close. Same for ride, handling and braking.

in my humble opinion, this illustration of what you get for your money is one of Harleys challenges, it's not the 25K, it's what you get for that money.
Did you buy one ? If so, how do you like the sound ?
I saw one accelerating a few weeks ago, it sounded like a F1 race car ... pretty cool !!

Old 03-09-2018, 11:02 AM
Geary Thomas
Tourer
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

this is a very strange thread.. we all buy what we want for our own reasons within the confines of what we are willing to pay. I own a Harley, because it's a Harley.. Love the people power with other Harley Riders. When I raced, there was never slams over another riders ride, they chose upon their expectations .....

Last edited by Geary Thomas; 03-09-2018 at 11:03 AM.
jd05flhtci (03-09-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 12:21 PM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by hd_usa
Did you buy one ? If so, how do you like the sound ?
I saw one accelerating a few weeks ago, it sounded like a F1 race car ... pretty cool !!
yes I did, the bike is a blast to ride. The bike is pretty quiet at low speeds but as you said sounds and feels like a F1 race car as you wick it up.

the 6cyl K motor was actually designed at BMW'S old F1 racing headquarters. When they got out of F1 racing they turned the entire opperation to the BMW motorcycle division. Can only imagine the equipment, computes and software that was at there disposal for that motor build.

Old 03-09-2018, 12:30 PM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Geary Thomas
this is a very strange thread.. we all buy what we want for our own reasons within the confines of what we are willing to pay. I own a Harley, because it's a Harley.. Love the people power with other Harley Riders. When I raced, there was never slams over another riders ride, they chose upon their expectations .....
totally agree with You, I certainly don't mean to "slam" Harley. Just explained how I viewed the price value.

I still like them and accept them for what they are. Just comes down to what you want out of a bike.

without question, Harley has the largest social group called HOG. The most dealerships and accessories available. Lotta BMW owners also own a Harley and vise versa.

jd05flhtci (03-09-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 12:59 PM
jamala00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,774 Likes on 2,801 Posts

Everything is worth what somebody is willing to pay, and to every individual... That's just different.

Old 03-09-2018, 02:00 PM
TomcatCV62
Road Warrior
Received 237 Likes on 189 Posts

yes I did, the bike is a blast to ride. The bike is pretty quiet at low speeds but as you said sounds and feels like a F1 race car as you wick it up.

the 6cyl K motor was actually designed at BMW'S old F1 racing headquarters. When they got out of F1 racing they turned the entire opperation to the BMW motorcycle division. Can only imagine the equipment, computes and software that was at there disposal for that motor build.
Yet he is still on Harley Forums........ not that it matters to me, just kind of odd.

Old 03-09-2018, 02:02 PM
xupd42bmg
Road Captain
Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

I buddy got me to sit on this bike. He said if he ever got off of Harley this is the one. I have to admit... If all my friends didn't ride Harleys and we were not always going to do Harley things and running to Harley hangouts Id probably own one.. I love my Harleys and there's just something about riding one but what you get for your money Harley sucks. This BMW is pretty nice. I don't think I could wear the whole yuppie get up that you see all of them wear but who knows.... I said I'd never ride a Harley and wear a skull cap too..lol

jd05flhtci (03-09-2018)

Quick Reply: People say Harley’s are priced too high