Sponsored by:

People say Harley’s are priced too high

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 06:45 AM
gtirhd
Cruiser
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by blackxpress
It’s always been that way. When I started riding back in 1976 it was that way. Me and my friends couldn’t afford a brand new anything, much less a brand new Harley. Even nice used Harleys were out of reach for us. Want to know why? Because Harleys hold their value better than Jap bikes do. My first bike was a used Yamaha 650. Not because I was a loyal Yamaha fan boy but because it was the nicest bike I could afford. Even a nice used Sportster was out of my price range and Harley didn’t make small bikes like the Yamaha 650. Now HD is trying to offer an affordable entry level street bike but nobody’s interested in buying one. I doubt very seriously if the street line will survive long term.

This! as a millennial buying a new motorcycle, I didn't walk out with a 40k cvo, settled for a low mileage dyna so I totally agree. As for the street, meh I preferred a used bike that felt like a Harley opposed to the street which wasn't terrible to drive, just wasn't for me. That being sad, neither was the sportster

The following users liked this post:
roadpop (03-08-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 06:51 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by gtirhd
This! as a millennial buying a new motorcycle, I didn't walk out with a 40k cvo, settled for a low mileage dyna so I totally agree. As for the street, meh I preferred a used bike that felt like a Harley opposed to the street which wasn't terrible to drive, just wasn't for me. That being sad, neither was the sportster
To me you made a smart move realizing what you cold actually afford and still enjoy .. Did the Same with my present Dyna .. Great Price and even making it own doing good upgrades have more money in it than it's worth, but is an enjoyable reliable ride ..

roadpop (03-08-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 09:25 AM
StoneTrekker
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,967 Likes on 952 Posts

This thread is threatening my enjoyment of a new M8, and causing me to reevaluate my priorities in the context of the money I spend to enjoy the things in life which bring me pleasure. Sigh....

Old 03-08-2018, 08:36 PM
Fullbore55
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,711 Likes on 1,259 Posts

Dynas are GREAT!
You made great choice! I still miss my ‘97 Low Rider, which was two bikes ago (followed by TC RK and M8 RG, also both both great)

But still miss the super nimble LR that was fantanstic to and thru Sturgis

gtirhd (03-11-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 09:38 PM
oleboy
Road Master
Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by FatBob2018
Because the only appeal to a Harley is that it lets you dress like a pirate? Seriously, are you that bitter?

And no, I'm not a pirate. I wear a full-face, and a Motoport all-kevlar riding suit. Wouldn't be caught dead in a half-helmet or bare-headed with a bandanna. And yes, I'm a happy owner of a Harley, and yes, it's an M8.
Hell yeah. Halloween only comes around once a year. I just added one of those skull/skeleton face covers to my costume. I bought the Harley (because it was cheaper than a pirate ship) just so I could wear my pirate costume more frequently. Now I'm out and about in my pirate costume all the time. You need to ditch the storm trooper outfit and give it a try.

Old 03-08-2018, 10:46 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 21,718 Likes on 9,551 Posts

Originally Posted by miami
The price of the bikes are out of line and Wall Street agrees
Out of line if you don’t have the coin.... and I don’t ride my M8 or my Panhead on “The Street” .... I ride them on the road.

Old 03-09-2018, 06:23 AM
TomcatCV62
Road Warrior
Received 237 Likes on 189 Posts

Where is Badcooky? He usually has a good comeback for all of this stuff..........

Old 03-09-2018, 07:32 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 267 Likes on 226 Posts

Looks like they're gonna be priced even higher now that they'll have to pay the higher tariffs on the cheap-**** Chinese steel they use to build 'em!

There was some dumbassed H-D rep whining about it on the news just last night!

Last edited by jpooch00; 03-09-2018 at 07:37 AM.
Old 03-09-2018, 08:28 AM
badcooky
Banned
Received 473 Likes on 370 Posts

A slight over simplification but here goes .
Those of us that own a new motorcycle , understand they're at a fairly high price point,and somewhat with that goes a brand loyalty inclusion but nonetheless we all bought one knowing what the cost impost, it's simply the price of admission to this new Harley groove most of us are on.
Those who can't afford one and don't have a new bike are going to say they're at too high a price point for what you're getting and for what you're getting per dollar they'll waffle that they're junk and unreliable and that's why they don't own one rather than admit they are underfunded.
Somewhere in the middle is the truth.
Oxycontin rooolz !

The following 2 users liked this post by badcooky:
gtirhd (03-11-2018), TomcatCV62 (03-09-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 08:37 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 21,718 Likes on 9,551 Posts

Originally Posted by badcooky
A slight over simplification but here goes .
Those of us that own a new motorcycle , understand they're at a fairly high price point,and somewhat with that goes a brand loyalty inclusion but nonetheless we all bought one knowing what the cost impost, it's simply the price of admission to this new Harley groove most of us are on.
Those who can't afford one and don't have a new bike are going to say they're at too high a price point for what you're getting and for what you're getting per dollar they'll waffle that they're junk and unreliable and that's why they don't own one rather than admit they are underfunded.
Somewhere in the middle is the truth.
Oxycontin rooolz !
Yup. With the Tax’s and Depreciation I took a beating Dollars wise, if I sold it this year; but I did not buy it to sell it. Two years ago I bought my ‘09 eGlide and sold it for what I paid for it, less the shiny bits I put on it. My Pan I could sell it for more than I paid for it. After putting 20,000 miles on her.

But again, not a damn thing I have ever done with my bikes, ever, has been about the money ..... it’s been about Freedom.

Quick Reply: People say Harley’s are priced too high