Sponsored by:

People say Harley’s are priced too high

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 11:11 AM
alarmdoug
Road Warrior
Received 244 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Keithhu
Didnt read through over 130+ posts to see if its been mentioned before, but our genius president is trying to make motorcycles more expensive by implementing moronic tariffs on steel, which, as over a century of experience tells us, is inflationary. It will backfire spectacularly.

Because the cost of steel will be going up, HD will have to pass that along to the consumers, which there will be fewer of because fewer people will be able to afford them. Also therefore fewer people making them as a result.

As to the used buyers, this will affect them too. It will cause more demand for used motorcycles due to the increasing expense of new ones, and since fewer people will buy new, there will be more buyers chasing fewer bikes which means prices will be going up.
Yes, agree, it will cost about an actual $7.50 Seven dollars and fifty cents (if that much) in steel cost for Harley to produce a bike. )

Old 03-03-2018, 11:19 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,604 Likes on 2,725 Posts

Originally Posted by alarmdoug
Yes, agree, it will cost about an actual $7.50 Seven dollars and fifty cents (if that much) in steel cost for Harley to produce a bike. )
Its not just the frame, Bubba, a lot of parts are made of steel as well. Also, aluminum will be going up because he wants to slap tariffs on that too.

Last edited by Keithhu; 03-03-2018 at 11:34 AM.
Old 03-03-2018, 11:25 AM
paullavery
Road Master
Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Keithhu
Didnt read through over 130+ posts to see if its been mentioned before, but our genius president is trying to make motorcycles more expensive by implementing moronic tariffs on steel, which, as over a century of experience tells us, is inflationary. It will backfire spectacularly.

Because the cost of steel will be going up, HD will have to pass that along to the consumers, which there will be fewer of because fewer people will be able to afford them. Also therefore fewer people making them as a result.

As to the used buyers, this will affect them too. It will cause more demand for used motorcycles due to the increasing expense of new ones, and since fewer people will buy new, there will be more buyers chasing fewer bikes which means prices will be going up.
Totally agree & the moment he does the EU will slap their own tariffs on the importation of Harley’s into the EU. ( the EU president has already mentioned HD in a press statement the other day ). This will also have major affect on HD as they are relying more & more on European sales.

Last edited by paullavery; 03-03-2018 at 11:27 AM.
Old 03-03-2018, 11:46 AM
5150northrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 206 Likes on 171 Posts

I took one look at the 2018 vivid black deluxe and i got to sit on a blue one and lucky for me I dont care for the color or i might have fell for it. Got to stay away from the dealerships if they have a black one... im trying to do the Nancy Reagan thing and just say no... price isn't going to matter. Lol dam thats a sweet bike.

Old 03-03-2018, 11:54 AM
mikes300
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 484 Likes on 368 Posts

people say everything cost to much....

Old 03-03-2018, 12:39 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,474 Likes on 1,353 Posts

Originally Posted by mikes300
people say everything cost to much....

Old 03-03-2018, 05:01 PM
jd05flhtci
Road Warrior
Received 311 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by alarmdoug
VERY misleading title and of course void of factual history sales results.
Title should read big boom in towable camping trailers.

But for drama, they list them as RV sales. I think most, (maybe I am wrong) people who think of an RV think of a self contained motorized living and driving system, not a towable trailer. But thats me.
I agree but still the story tells that the millennials are more interested in camping than motorcycles

Old 03-03-2018, 05:31 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,474 Likes on 1,353 Posts

Originally Posted by jd05flhtci
I agree but still the story tells that the millennials are more interested in camping than motorcycles
Agreed. Seems like a lot of millenials aren't all that interested in owning much of anything. They don't necessarily want cars, or their own houses. I'm a little young to remember the hippie movement clearly, but -- doesn't it seem like the new generation has a little in common with them, in that regard?

Old 03-03-2018, 05:33 PM
oleboy
Road Master
Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by badcooky
Same lifters as the Twin cam .http://www.jamesrussellpublishing.bi...buyharley.html
Always a pleasure .
Weren't the ones (B) used before 2010/2011 made in the US and the ones (C) used after that some junk made in Mexico (or some other 3rd world) country?

Old 03-03-2018, 06:05 PM
oleboy
Road Master
Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by TomcatCV62
Well this will be one of the subjects that I will agree with Oleboy on. Its really hard to argue the fact that the CVO had premature wear on the lifters and the cam. I saw the burning within the cylinder and that concerns me as well. Shame isnt it........ wonder what mine looks like? Anyway, I guess in a year or two, Ill be making that trip up north to do a stage two and replace the lifters as well. The cylinder? gonna have to roll the dice on that one..... Now, as for Oleboy, youre right about this as you know...... How does that make you feel about the state of Harley Davidson? Unless they get their **** together, they will eventually fade away or... be bought out by someone. Im thinking that eventually they will be bought out by someone.
Thanks.

As far as how I feel about the state of HD - They aren't going anywhere. They have cheapened part production and/or increased tolerances for years. Prices still increase and folks still purchase. For every guy that questions or looks into their issues, you have more folks (like bablecookie) that just buy into whatever marketing HD puts out. Hell, I just parrot a negative post from a respected engine builder and bablecookie runs me down because it isn't what he wants to hear. The only reason I got any reprieve from that thickheaded baboon was because of your post.

Quick Reply: People say Harley’s are priced too high