Sponsored by:

People say Harley’s are priced too high

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 02:32 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 558 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by jd05flhtci
Really? So everyone here on this forum owns a new bike and no one buys used?
Probably not, but if I felt " I want a new Harley so bad but they're sooo expensive" I sure wouldn't come here and be depressed about what I wanted but couldn't afford/justify.

Old 03-02-2018, 02:37 PM
jd05flhtci
Road Warrior
Received 311 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by rjg883c
Probably not, but if I felt " I want a new Harley so bad but they're sooo expensive" I sure wouldn't come here and be depressed about what I wanted but couldn't afford/justify.
I agree but it does happen lol

Old 03-02-2018, 05:28 PM
doug62
Road Captain
Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

[QUOTE=Dynamick;17140900]Maybe you're thinking about the engine in the old Venture Royale, which used a detuned version of the V-Max's V-4 engine.

But the current Venture uses an updated version of the 113 that was used in the Roadliner and Stratoliner.

Taken from an article on the motorcycle.com website:

You are correct in that the Star Venture has hydraulic lifters however if you look at the owners manual it still requires valve clearance checks by the dealership every 16,000 miles. Google 2018 Star Venture owners manual and you will see this.

You are correct in that the new Star Venture has hydraulic lifters however if you Google the owners manual for the bike it still requires valve clearance checks be done every 16,000 miles by the dealership. Page 9-16 of the manual.

Last edited by doug62; 03-02-2018 at 05:41 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Dynamick (03-03-2018)
Old 03-02-2018, 05:33 PM
Ilikeyourthinking
Intermediate
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

After I've made a comment on the number of times she's gone out for lunch with her friends over the past week, she'll come back with ''and how much did you spend on your motorcycle?'' That usually puts things into clearer focus for me. Who can argue with that.

Old 03-02-2018, 06:27 PM
badcooky
Banned
Received 473 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by jd05flhtci
Really? So everyone here on this forum owns a new bike and no one buys used?My 25 year old son is looking to purchase his first Harley this weekend but is looking at an 06 RK why because he has a family and cant afford a 20k new one. I am sure other on here have sons/daughters in the age group of 20-36 that would love a new HD but 20-45k is just not in their budget
Most everyone here on the M8 forum owns them ,that's because it's an M8 forum.
I've looked at every known non M8 owners recent/past posts and most if not all now only post here in the M8 honestly the percentages are all over 90% of posts here but they don't have the M8 and I find that weird like it's an inclusive thing for those with an M8 to exchange info on M8's there's other sub forums for other iterations .The guys that don't like them hang around like a bad smell , my deal is ,yep we get it you don't like them now move on we've heard your blah blah for months and yes we get it so move on but they don't so for me I see that as they have a chip on their shoulder about something , whether it's economics or some guy on an M8 stole your girl I have no clue.
There's a few guys looking for some answers about them and then boom they own one and now post up as owners and contribute to this very fast growing sub forum but the others I don't get it at all.

Old 03-02-2018, 06:53 PM
jd05flhtci
Road Warrior
Received 311 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by badcooky
I've looked at every known non M8 owners recent/past posts and most if not all now only post here in the M8 honestly the percentages are all over 90% of posts here but they don't have the M8 and I find that weird like it's an inclusive thing for those with an M8 to exchange info on M8's there's other sub forums for other iterations .The guys that don't like them hang around like a bad smell , my deal is ,yep we get it you don't like them now move on we've heard your blah blah for months and yes we get it so move on but they don't so for me I see that as they have a chip on their shoulder about something , whether it's economics or some guy on an M8 stole your girl I have no clue.
There's a few guys looking for some answers about them and then boom they own one and now post up as owners and contribute to this very fast growing sub forum but the others I don't get it at all.
Do you think guys hang out here because the m8 is the new thing and just maybe they have time to kill in winter and the other forum areas are slow? Or maybe guys want to study,research and see what others have experienced with this new platform? There are other topics in this subforum like most others (just like the title thread) that guys have an opinion on and want to hangout after all it is a public forum

The following 2 users liked this post by jd05flhtci:
Dynamick (03-03-2018), kap1 (03-03-2018)
Old 03-02-2018, 07:00 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,987 Likes on 4,178 Posts

My home town city assessor thinks it's made of gold. My 04 4X4 Toyota had been steady going down. The Harley got to about $10,100 and has hung there for three years now. They send me a bill ever year $4.50 per thousand.

Old 03-03-2018, 10:55 AM
alarmdoug
Road Warrior
Received 244 Likes on 168 Posts

VERY misleading title and of course void of factual history sales results.
Title should read big boom in towable camping trailers.

But for drama, they list them as RV sales. I think most, (maybe I am wrong) people who think of an RV think of a self contained motorized living and driving system, not a towable trailer. But thats me.

Old 03-03-2018, 11:06 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,604 Likes on 2,725 Posts

Didnt read through over 130+ posts to see if its been mentioned before, but our genius president is trying to make motorcycles more expensive by implementing moronic tariffs on steel, which, as over a century of experience tells us, is inflationary. It will backfire spectacularly.

Because the cost of steel will be going up, HD will have to pass that along to the consumers, which there will be fewer of because fewer people will be able to afford them. Also therefore fewer people making them as a result.

As to the used buyers, this will affect them too. It will cause more demand for used motorcycles due to the increasing expense of new ones, and since fewer people will buy new, there will be more buyers chasing fewer bikes which means prices will be going up.

Old 03-03-2018, 11:07 AM
alarmdoug
Road Warrior
Received 244 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by badcooky
1. Maybe non M8 owners are here because no matter the engine, they are still Road Kings, Road Glides and Street Glides.
Since when as Harley moved up engine sizes and designs did a exclusive club be formed based on engine size over the model you ride?

2. Im just saying, doesnt matter to me, but I am saying, because there are people like me, who one day will own a new bike, meaning the day my 14 Road King will be replaced by another ... 2020?

3. I am curious if the frame is going to change, if so, do we then have a Road King M8 new frame group?? Just kidding around on that one.
Yeah, lets face it there are jerks in any forum and then sometimes, words are read in a different way that is meant.

Last edited by alarmdoug; 03-03-2018 at 11:09 AM.

Quick Reply: People say Harley’s are priced too high