Sponsored by:

People say Harley’s are priced too high

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 06:39 PM
doug62
Road Captain
Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by 5150northrider
I'm Not happy that everything is going up but the paycheck... ie. taxes,cable tv, insurance, food, power, ECT but it is and that goes for Harley Davidson as well. So in the Immortal words of Joe Walsh get over it... nobody said life was fair. But life on a brand new Harley Davidson, we'll I'm willing to pay to get me some of that... lol bikes keep you right in the head... how much is that worth?
I think those were actually Glen Frey's words.

Old 03-01-2018, 08:13 PM
badcooky
Banned
Received 473 Likes on 370 Posts

CPI index is down guys like always !

Old 03-01-2018, 08:18 PM
wiliturk
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

If people really say Harleys are priced too high, I'd have to agree, because they are!! But, no one put a gun to my head.

Old 03-01-2018, 09:33 PM
badcooky
Banned
Received 473 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by wiliturk
If people really say Harleys are priced too high, I'd have to agree, because they are!! But, no one put a gun to my head.
Same .

Old 03-01-2018, 10:00 PM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 7,216 Likes on 3,428 Posts

Originally Posted by doug62
You got the answer before I could respond. Like my VTX, the Star Venture has solid lifters, thus the valves need periodic adjustment.
Maybe you're thinking about the engine in the old Venture Royale, which used a detuned version of the V-Max's V-4 engine.

But the current Venture uses an updated version of the 113 that was used in the Roadliner and Stratoliner.

Taken from an article on the motorcycle.com website:

Old 03-01-2018, 10:22 PM
texaswiz
Banned
Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Rather than taking a position on the statement that "People say Harley's are priced too high", I would say that the MOCO still does not have a clue as to their steady downward drop in sales for the last ten years. They have recently introduced a whole new line of softtails to appeal to the younger people but they have not lowered the price. The real reason young people for the most part do not buy many premium priced Harleys is because they can not afford them. Instead of building something and pricing it so younger riders can actually afford it, the MOCO has taken the step of building all these beautiful new softails which are still priced way beyond the means of the average young family or single person. So are the recently introduced line of fantastic softtails going to be the panacea to higher sales? Hell no, the MOCO leadership is still drinking the same ole Kool aid and just whizzing in the wind. I think they would actually take bankruptcy before they lowered the price.
Plus, it does not help new sales when you introduce a new engine that has transmission and sumping issues that they can or will not fix.

Old 03-02-2018, 12:51 AM
5150northrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 206 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by doug62
I think those were actually Glen Frey's words.
yep and Don Henley, sorry I blew up... Lol I was thinking the eagles and Joe Walsh popped out.

Old 03-02-2018, 07:18 AM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Re: Are Harleys priced too high?
When I was much younger and considerably more foolish I was laboring under a lot of misconceptions. One of the biggest ones was that I actually believed that the companies that were moving their manufacturing businesses offshore due to much lower labor costs were going to bring back their products to the U.S. and pass those huge savings along to the consumer.
Like I said, I was much younger and considerably more foolish.

Old 03-02-2018, 07:54 AM
alarmdoug
Road Warrior
Received 244 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by TomcatCV62
Wow, love the color combination on that king..... very nice!
Much appreciated, there is quite a story to the purchase of that bike, our first and still only Harley. Just love it.

The combination got our attention too, we were in the Smoky Mountains on vacation with our Vstar 1300 Tourer back in 2014.
I always look at bikes, read up on the new ones and knew about the new Rushmore bikes, read the glowing reviews ect and knew one day, in a couple years I would have one.

However back in 2014 while on Vacation as normal, we would stop in Harley dealers, first one was in Maryville TN to check out the new 14 Rushmore touring bikes. Were so impressed with the bikes and what we read, anyway, fast forward 5 days to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge TN where we were staying and the day before we were to return home we stopped in the sister Harley Dealer in Pigeon Forge, saw that bike, for the heck of it, got a price and trade value on my Yami.

Next day we were ready to go home, POURING rain, thought, hmmm ... good day to buy a bike and my wife amazingly behind the purchase, called the dealer from the motel, told them to get the bike ready by 1 PM as the weather radar was showing a "hole" in the storm clouds and we could maybe make some good progress home at that time, rode to the dealer in pouring rain, arrived dripping wet, picked up the Road King in the pouring rain, (the "hole" in the storm didnt last long), Rode home From TN, through NC in the pouring rain, Sun came out in our home state of SC.

Its was an adventure we will never forget and actually a fond memory but next time I will skip a long trip on a new bike that I never rode, on a brand I never rode in the rain and mountain roads. )

Last edited by alarmdoug; 03-02-2018 at 08:06 AM.
The following users liked this post:
TomcatCV62 (03-05-2018)
Old 03-02-2018, 08:58 AM
alarmdoug
Road Warrior
Received 244 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by texaswiz
Rather than taking a position on the statement that "People say Harley's are priced too high", I would say that the MOCO still does not have a clue as to their steady downward drop in sales for the last ten years. They have recently introduced a whole new line of softtails to appeal to the younger people but they have not lowered the price. The real reason young people for the most part do not buy many premium priced Harleys is because they can not afford them. Instead of building something and pricing it so younger riders can actually afford it, the MOCO has taken the step of building all these beautiful new softails which are still priced way beyond the means of the average young family or single person. So are the recently introduced line of fantastic softtails going to be the panacea to higher sales? Hell no, the MOCO leadership is still drinking the same ole Kool aid and just whizzing in the wind. I think they would actually take bankruptcy before they lowered the price.
Plus, it does not help new sales when you introduce a new engine that has transmission and sumping issues that they can or will not fix.
I think most people have it wrong.
Harley is in better shape then all its competition in the USA and its overall world wide sales have been slowly but steadly increasing.

Granted its USA sales suck but so does everyone elses. In fact Harley market share has not changed in any significant way.

Ok, back to the USA,
You need to remember that motorcycles and motorcycle sales in the USA are dead and Harley is almost the only heavy weight motorcycle manufacturer left.

Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki have killed literally a dozen heavy weight motorcycle models over the last few years.

Polaris killed an ENTIRE brand = Victory
and if you think for a moment Polaris will not possibly kill Indian if things dont pick up, well I will sell you a bridge! *L*

Bottom line, young people do not want to learn how to ride a motorcycle!
They have smart phones! That is all they need in life. (most, not all)

Harley will adjust as the old people who knew how to do things on their own die off.
The next generation will be riding Harley electric bikes, no shifting or clutch needed.

But the bottom line is, many of our youth, spoiled pansy asses who can no longer venture outdoors or even understand what it is to experience living life to its fullest and what it is to actually break out a sweat on anything they do, have no desire to mount a vehicle without AC and Heat. )

Its not Harley Davidson, its the ENTIRE industry of motorcycling, Harley has beat all other heavy weight bikes into almost total non existence.
Its not about price (except to the old people), no one was buying even the cheap metric bikes and the builders killed the models off.
Crap anyone notice the average automobile

Harley needs to maintain quality and stay the boutique motorcycle brand that it is, people will always pay for quality and bragging rights. People will always dump a cheap brand into non existence which is the way ALL the metric Japanese brands have become, non existent.

Last edited by alarmdoug; 03-02-2018 at 09:15 AM.

Quick Reply: People say Harley’s are priced too high