Sponsored by:

Who has done a SEPST auto tune?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 12:19 PM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by FLTRI17
In the wrong hands any tuning device has the capability of ruining a perfectly good engine.
The HD products must meet all emissions regs, max power is not the target...emissions are, which equals lean/hot running, especially on traffic.
IMO being able to tune a build for best performance (not spewing unburnt fuel) and best mileage, is the key to getting the most from the investment.
I just don’t see the attraction to a wide band system that the closed loop targets are the same as the narrow band targets.
I have tuned many big inch builds with the narrow bands with great results and see no advantage to the wide band system unless you can’t figure how to get a close base cal., then the wide bands have a better chance of getting the base close.
Bob

Same point I was making...

Last edited by T^2; 02-16-2018 at 12:28 PM.
Old 02-16-2018, 12:55 PM
Fullbore55
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,729 Likes on 1,263 Posts
Default Auto tune VE changes

Originally Posted by flstcbob
I have a stage 1 with street cannons. I rode it with just the download for 2000 miles before doing an auto tune. That auto tune is definitely worth doing. The area it made the adjustments was below 1/4 throttle. It now runs absolutely perfect in that range, which makes low speed maneuvers much smoother. Gas mileage went up 2 or 3 mpg. I don't think it changed anything in the upper rpm or throttle range.
Flstcbob, do you remember how you changed the VE values after your data run with auto tune? In general, did you mostly increase or decrease VE values?

Old 02-16-2018, 01:11 PM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Kyle Moore
Yup your right, I didnt say it was gonna give you all the power your particular combo is capable of, obviously you have to break the law to do that, but it will obviously work on a bike with an aftermarket header while using Harley’s software.
You don't need the STPATM for this. All you need is the SEPST.

I’m not sure what the EPA regs allows them to do, but if you go read the reviews on the smart tune pro on Harley’s website there’s a few people that say it really woke up their stage 3 and 4 combos. I think you still need to have your bike dyno tuned though.
What people say really doesn't matter. The facts are the facts about what these units do and don't do. I can't imagine putting the money into a stage 3 or 4 and trying to "auto tune" it. So ya... I'd say a dyno tune is a must.

I was merely pointing out, for 350 bucks from Utah Harley you can get this tuner and be able to run a header without marking your ECM with an aftermarket tuner, then if the worst happens you can put your stock header back on and get your bike fixed on Harley’s dime.
Sure... All you'd need is the SEPST. You would likely need to re-calibrate the VE's etc. You could accomplish that by either of two ways...

1) Smart tune/auto tune - results - meh?
2) Dyno tune - assuming a competent pro - likely very good/verifiable results.

I’d be willing to bet it’s still capable of Getting most of the power out of a run of the mill build, the guy in the second video told me his bike made 117ft lbs with the 447 cam with the smart tune and a dyno tune.
Is it? As FLTRI17, max power isn't the target, emissions are. The SEPST can't make adjustments that would cause the bike to no longer be EPA complaint. From what I've read, it can't really adjust the AFR tables, and can only make limited adjustments to VE and spark. From what I gather, you pretty much are confined to the tune you get from HD - which is made for a particular configuration and must be EPA compliant - to which you are able to make minor adjustments that account for differences in individual machines.

Last edited by T^2; 02-16-2018 at 01:16 PM.
Old 02-16-2018, 01:19 PM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by mikes300
agreed,I've asked a few times about the EPA regs and how it really affects the real world tuning, i can only imagine that they would want the engine to run as efficiently as possible,which should mean its making about all the power it can, I mean atuner that allows you to spew out a bunch of unburnt fuel while most likely illegal, is also not going to run very well either. so far no one has said how the SERT limits you, only that it does. is this just paranoia due to the 50 state legal status?
If we are talking about the SEPST, then see my previous comment.

Old 02-16-2018, 11:37 PM
flstcbob
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Fullbore55
Flstcbob, do you remember how you changed the VE values after your data run with auto tune? In general, did you mostly increase or decrease VE values?
Sorry, I don't remember which direction the VE values were changed. I selected automatically apply recommended changes. The charts I looked at had the colored boxes in the low throttle settings.

Do I need to hook my computer back to the motorcycle to see those charts? I tried looking them up in the SEPST program and couldn't find them.

Old 02-17-2018, 12:14 AM
MTBIG G
Road Warrior
Veteran: Navy
Received 975 Likes on 559 Posts

Cant say anything about stage 1, but I ran several smart tunes with the SEPST after the stage 2 was installed. Bike ran significantly better. Ran several more after adding the smart tune pro auto tuning module with the wide band sensors; that really dialed it in.

Last edited by MTBIG G; 02-17-2018 at 12:16 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by MTBIG G:
BCC1 (02-17-2018), GliderXXX (02-17-2018)
Old 02-17-2018, 12:18 AM
Kyle Moore
Road Master
Received 224 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by T^2
You don't need the STPATM for this. All you need is the SEPST.

What people say really doesn't matter. The facts are the facts about what these units do and don't do. I can't imagine putting the money into a stage 3 or 4 and trying to "auto tune" it. So ya... I'd say a dyno tune is a must.

Sure... All you'd need is the SEPST. You would likely need to re-calibrate the VE's etc. You could accomplish that by either of two ways...

1) Smart tune/auto tune - results - meh?
2) Dyno tune - assuming a competent pro - likely very good/verifiable results.

Is it? As FLTRI17, max power isn't the target, emissions are. The SEPST can't make adjustments that would cause the bike to no longer be EPA complaint. From what I've read, it can't really adjust the AFR tables, and can only make limited adjustments to VE and spark. From what I gather, you pretty much are confined to the tune you get from HD - which is made for a particular configuration and must be EPA compliant - to which you are able to make minor adjustments that account for differences in individual machines.
I think staying emissions legal with the tuning will still get you 90% of the way there though. Even fuel motos dyno graph of a stock 107 they tuned with a dynojet didn’t really gain anything. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a bike or car get retuned out of emissions compliance and pick up substantial power. The thing that seems to make the biggest difference is cam timing with emissions engines. Look at the LSX crowd, you can swap a cam and gain 50hp and Ive seen dyno runs of 5.3 engines getting retuned with no other changes except adding fuel and timing and they dont really gain anything either. The M8 seems to do the same sorta thing. I need to read up more on what the Harley wideband setup does but I’ve seen lots of positive reviews on it so It must do something. I was mainly just wondering if it could be used to get around running the stock header without voiding your warranty by flashing your ECM. Theoretically, if your dealers cool. Could you put a 222 cam in your bike with a 2-1 exhaust and use Harley’s software to tune it and not worry about your warranty?

Last edited by Kyle Moore; 02-17-2018 at 12:19 AM.
Old 02-17-2018, 01:55 AM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member

I think staying emissions legal with the tuning will still get you 90% of the way there though. Even fuel motos dyno graph of a stock 107 they tuned with a dynojet didn’t really gain anything.
Why would it gain much if anything if it was still stock? You need to change more than just the tune to achieve significant gains. For example Stage 1 - exhaust and intake. Plus there is more to be gained than just achieving numbers on a dyno. Overall operability/smooth operations etc. etc.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a bike or car get retuned out of emissions compliance and pick up substantial power. The thing that seems to make the biggest difference is cam timing with emissions engines. Look at the LSX crowd, you can swap a cam and gain 50hp and Ive seen dyno runs of 5.3 engines getting retuned with no other changes except adding fuel and timing and they dont really gain anything either.
You can maintain lean AFR in low load areas of the performance band to preserve fuel economy and maintain low emissions. But to achieve power - the rule of thumb is that you have to enrich the mixture. Even on stock (EPA compliant) tunes they drop out of closed loop and go richer at the extents (max MAP and RPM regions). Performance builds will not likely have a tune that remains EPA compliant.

The M8 seems to do the same sorta thing. I need to read up more on what the Harley wideband setup does but I’ve seen lots of positive reviews on it so It must do something.
It does what I stated before. Quite frankly I can't see any value in it. I've had the DJ Target Tune on my bike for a couple of years now. I'm familiar with how they work. It doesn't matter if you "auto tune" or dyno tune, at the end of the day when all the playing around is done, the STPATM isn't really really doing anything for you that the stock narrow band O2 won't do (and perhaps do better). As I and FLTRI17 have already noted, the range of AFR's that a EPA compliant tune will allow for is within the operating limits of the narrow bands. This covers the vast majority of the table (except the extents where a stock tune running with narrow bands would drop out of closed loop control).

Hell... Some may even have an argument about the value of something like Target Tune. However, if a desired tune had a significant enough area that exceeded the AFR limits of narrow bands, then one could still try to take advantage of the benefits of closed loop control with TT and the wide bands.

On my '09 - which has an older cal strategy - AFR tables cells must be set to 14.6 to enable closed loop. If you look at the AFR table in my original stock tune, all of it - except the extents - is set to 14.6. With TT you can get around that limitation - enrich the mixture a bit if needed - and still maintain closed loop control. On new strategies (which are still EPA compliant), HD increased the AFR range (~ 14.2 to 15.0) that operates in closed loop with the narrow bands. If one wanted to use the newer tune strategy AFR numbers - for whatever reason - on one of these older bikes like mine, they would have to necessarily run open loop (unless they had TT). The Target Tune enabled tune that I have came from Fuel Moto. It's not even close to being EPA compliant. In fact the leanest AFR figure in the table is 14.0. The STPATM can't go there. Sure maybe the STPATM may be able to help me if I wanted to run a tune with an AFR table similar to the newer stock tunes, but why would anybody with an older tune strategy bother with buying a STPATM when they could get a TT (warranty is no longer issue)?

Can the STPATM perhaps make improvements in the VE tables? Ya sure. So yes, it perhaps does something - if you want to look at it that way. But the the SEPST alone with the stock narrow bands can essentially achieve the same. Theoretically, you can cover more of the VE tables with wide bands while auto tuning. In reality - what you can cover on the open road is limited in either case. Plus wide bands have some disadvantages.

So again... I can only see the STPATM as having value for HD in that it serves as a tool to help them separate the ignorant from their money. I haven't heard or seen any argument that makes a valid case in their favor. I'm not closed minded. I'd be interested to hear about a valid use case for them if somebody could offer it.

I was mainly just wondering if it could be used to get around running the stock header without voiding your warranty by flashing your ECM. Theoretically, if your dealers cool. Could you put a 222 cam in your bike with a 2-1 exhaust and use Harley’s software to tune it and not worry about your warranty?
You could possibly use a piggyback system to get you where you're trying to go. Technically, replacing the stock header alone might put your warranty in jeopardy. Not familiar with the 222 cams... If they are not HD approved, they could also sink your warranty. Does HD provide a tune for the 222? Or one that is at least close? If it isn't close, and presuming that SEPST has limited adjustment range (none in the AFR table) for the tables in play, there might be a problem.

Last edited by T^2; 02-17-2018 at 02:04 AM.
Old 02-17-2018, 07:06 AM
Fullbore55
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,729 Likes on 1,263 Posts

Originally Posted by flstcbob
Sorry, I don't remember which direction the VE values were changed. I selected automatically apply recommended changes. The charts I looked at had the colored boxes in the low throttle settings.

Do I need to hook my computer back to the motorcycle to see those charts? I tried looking them up in the SEPST program and couldn't find them.
Don’t need to look them up, thanks anyway!

Old 02-17-2018, 07:07 AM
harleytacticalnut
Cruiser
Received 57 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by T^2
Why would it gain much if anything if it was still stock? You need to change more than just the tune to achieve significant gains. For example Stage 1 - exhaust and intake. Plus there is more to be gained than just achieving numbers on a dyno. Overall operability/smooth operations etc. etc.

You can maintain lean AFR in low load areas of the performance band to preserve fuel economy and maintain low emissions. But to achieve power - the rule of thumb is that you have to enrich the mixture. Even on stock (EPA compliant) tunes they drop out of closed loop and go richer at the extents (max MAP and RPM regions). Performance builds will not likely have a tune that remains EPA compliant.

It does what I stated before. Quite frankly I can't see any value in it. I've had the DJ Target Tune on my bike for a couple of years now. I'm familiar with how they work. It doesn't matter if you "auto tune" or dyno tune, at the end of the day when all the playing around is done, the STPATM isn't really really doing anything for you that the stock narrow band O2 won't do (and perhaps do better). As I and FLTRI17 have already noted, the range of AFR's that a EPA compliant tune will allow for is within the operating limits of the narrow bands. This covers the vast majority of the table (except the extents where a stock tune running with narrow bands would drop out of closed loop control).

Hell... Some may even have an argument about the value of something like Target Tune. However, if a desired tune had a significant enough area that exceeded the AFR limits of narrow bands, then one could still try to take advantage of the benefits of closed loop control with TT and the wide bands.

On my '09 - which has an older cal strategy - AFR tables cells must be set to 14.6 to enable closed loop. If you look at the AFR table in my original stock tune, all of it - except the extents - is set to 14.6. With TT you can get around that limitation - enrich the mixture a bit if needed - and still maintain closed loop control. On new strategies (which are still EPA compliant), HD increased the AFR range (~ 14.2 to 15.0) that operates in closed loop with the narrow bands. If one wanted to use the newer tune strategy AFR numbers - for whatever reason - on one of these older bikes like mine, they would have to necessarily run open loop (unless they had TT). The Target Tune enabled tune that I have came from Fuel Moto. It's not even close to being EPA compliant. In fact the leanest AFR figure in the table is 14.0. The STPATM can't go there. Sure maybe the STPATM may be able to help me if I wanted to run a tune with an AFR table similar to the newer stock tunes, but why would anybody with an older tune strategy bother with buying a STPATM when they could get a TT (warranty is no longer issue)?

Can the STPATM perhaps make improvements in the VE tables? Ya sure. So yes, it perhaps does something - if you want to look at it that way. But the the SEPST alone with the stock narrow bands can essentially achieve the same. Theoretically, you can cover more of the VE tables with wide bands while auto tuning. In reality - what you can cover on the open road is limited in either case. Plus wide bands have some disadvantages.

So again... I can only see the STPATM as having value for HD in that it serves as a tool to help them separate the ignorant from their money. I haven't heard or seen any argument that makes a valid case in their favor. I'm not closed minded. I'd be interested to hear about a valid use case for them if somebody could offer it.

You could possibly use a piggyback system to get you where you're trying to go. Technically, replacing the stock header alone might put your warranty in jeopardy. Not familiar with the 222 cams... If they are not HD approved, they could also sink your warranty. Does HD provide a tune for the 222? Or one that is at least close? If it isn't close, and presuming that SEPST has limited adjustment range (none in the AFR table) for the tables in play, there might be a problem.
I would like to see all the concrete evidence that you spew that this ATM does absolutely nothing as you claim.
Where is all of your testing to prove otherwise. Words mean nothing without all the proof behind it. I know when I installed it on my bike it definitely helped clean the tune up and you can tell an immediate difference for something that is said does absolutely nothing. One thing I do know is that when they pulled my pistons to verify condition of them they were very clean with very little carbon build up. They were amazed at how clean they were compared to the carbon build up they normally see. So it is doing its job as it should be. For something that has absolutely no value what so ever according to you. Listening to you leads me to believe you must have engineered, designed and manufactured the product the way you bad mouth it to everyone that it does absolutely nothing, with no evidence what so ever and claim there is no value what so ever. HD sells them and they do work. They might not have as much fine tuning on the VE tables as other tuners on the market but there is enough for the tuners to get the bike running cleaner. Most people are not buying them as an auto tune to tune your bike as a dyno tune as they are not a tuner that’s what the street tuner is for as the name suggests. This is an ATM that will constantly adjust on the fly to maintain a certain VE that you program into it to allow for a wider range for the VE to be adjusted. I am no means a professional tuner , never claim to be, but I also have been riding bikes for 40+ years and have used other ATM such as PV AUTO TUNE , TARGET TUNE with great success. This ATM isn’t as nice nor does it give you as much flexibility as the others but it does serve its purpose and it does perform as they market it. Now the burden of proof is on the nay sayers to prove otherwise with hard concrete evidence from testing and not just from spewing words from your mouth. Once you provide that then we can sit down and have a discussion about how crappy of an ATM really is but until then don’t you think you should stop pushing people away from it based off of your hear say. Kind of like you are working for a competitor or something.

The following 2 users liked this post by harleytacticalnut:
badcooky (02-17-2018), Kyle Moore (02-17-2018)

Quick Reply: Who has done a SEPST auto tune?