Sponsored by:

Who has done a SEPST auto tune?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 12:52 PM
mikes300
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 484 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by GliderXXX
I wouldn't expect nor even want earth shattering but your chart demonstrates real ride ability improvements. As I said been down the tuning paths many times for many years and not opposed to it, just had some mixed results. I "think" I'm gonna give the smart tune a whirl first. Nothing to lose and its paid for.
I just opened my program, there were quite a few updates, not sure if any pertain to us or not. I think when I get home i'll plug it into the bike and see, then maybe run the auto tune thing and go for a ride. like you say cant hurt. and that's a pretty nice across the board improvement for just a good tune. I've dyno tuned my Ducati, never bothered on a harley, I mean who cares right? lol

Old 02-20-2018, 01:45 PM
GliderXXX
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
makes total sense, let us know your results
Will do

Old 02-20-2018, 01:49 PM
GliderXXX
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by teedoff65
This is the route I took as well. When I first installed the canned tune map for stage 1, I thought it ran a little rougher than stock. Not sure if that was newbie user error, dont see how, or maybe thats par until your ride it a few miles.

Anyway, I did two auto(smart) tunes and the bikes performance improved and runs very well now.
Thanks...I haven't experienced rough running but do feel it's a bit less brisk than the stock tune. That along with a decrease in mpg and some gas smell after shut off has me going this route.
I'm assuming based on your post the whole smart tune process was not complicated?

Old 02-20-2018, 01:56 PM
GliderXXX
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by mikes300
I just opened my program, there were quite a few updates, not sure if any pertain to us or not. I think when I get home i'll plug it into the bike and see, then maybe run the auto tune thing and go for a ride. like you say cant hurt. and that's a pretty nice across the board improvement for just a good tune. I've dyno tuned my Ducati, never bothered on a harley, I mean who cares right? lol
Thanks Mike. Yes I have dyno'd my S1000RR, just flashed my ZX14 and Concours14. I understand the why bother on a HD, but for me with Harley's it's not so much about chasing power as it is improving ride ability. Better mpg, torque, idle etc.
That said, the stock fueling on the M8 motors really don't need anything at all. They are tuned to perfection IMO. It's when you open up the pipes and AC they do need some attention. Almost silly I know. I've kind of come to think the stock stage 1 download is not very efficient or even good. Most won't notice or care because they have louder pipes, a placebo effect with the AC. I guess I'm just more sensitive to how they run.

Old 02-20-2018, 01:58 PM
GliderXXX
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by mikes300
Give us an update after you do the Smart Tune please.

Old 02-20-2018, 02:38 PM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,527 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Originally Posted by GliderXXX
Thanks...I haven't experienced rough running but do feel it's a bit less brisk than the stock tune. That along with a decrease in mpg and some gas smell after shut off has me going this route.
I'm assuming based on your post the whole smart tune process was not complicated?
I didnt think so. Although remembering to press the "record" button before you take off was a little challenging for me. lol

Basically as someone else said, Start the auto tune from the software, plug it in, I just paid mine in the left bag, press the record button and ride for 20 to 30 minutes. When you're done, you hook your laptop back up and follow the directions to update the tune.

The following users liked this post:
GliderXXX (02-20-2018)
Old 02-20-2018, 06:04 PM
badcooky
Banned
Received 473 Likes on 370 Posts

Glider just to clarify are you using the SEPST(orange) or the SEST(black) unit mate.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:01 PM
Fullbore55
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,729 Likes on 1,263 Posts

I did smart tune while riding 3 times. Fewer changes made with each subsequent time. When riding to log data, I did try to cover wide range of rpms (2000 to 5000 roughly in ~500 rpm steps), also trying to hit variou gears. Have long stretch of flat road with little traffic. Had to stay in lower gears to get to high rpm. Could even roll on to WOT for some seconds before roll off.

Afterward, let software generate the new VE map, but I tweaked it to smooth bumps and lumps. The 3-D graphic makes it easy to find these. Typically when tweaking/changes the VE values, I’d increase th values.

Bike runs good and strong. Not much difference after fist smart tune, but couldn’t help tweaking anyway.

The following users liked this post:
GliderXXX (02-20-2018)
Old 02-20-2018, 10:22 PM
GliderXXX
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Fullbore55
I did smart tune while riding 3 times. Fewer changes made with each subsequent time. When riding to log data, I did try to cover wide range of rpms (2000 to 5000 roughly in ~500 rpm steps), also trying to hit variou gears. Have long stretch of flat road with little traffic. Had to stay in lower gears to get to high rpm. Could even roll on to WOT for some seconds before roll off.

Afterwfard, let software generate the new VE map, but I tweaked it to smooth bumps and lumps. The 3-D graphic makes it easy to find these. Typically when tweaking/changes the VE values, I’d increase th values.

Bike runs good and strong. Not much difference after fist smart tune, but couldn’t help tweaking anyway.
So the Smart Tune was a solid improvement over the stage 1 download before you tweaked? Did you notice any improvement in mpg?

Old 02-20-2018, 10:23 PM
GliderXXX
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by badcooky
Glider just to clarify are you using the SEPST(orange) or the SEST(black) unit mate.
The SEPST.

Quick Reply: Who has done a SEPST auto tune?