Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who has done a SEPST auto tune?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 01:51 PM
GliderXXX
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Damn that was a long winded answer to whether or not the simple Smart Tune with the SEPST is worth it. Thanks to the couple of Guys who provided feedback.

The following 2 users liked this post by GliderXXX:
mjwebb (02-18-2018), MTBIG G (02-19-2018)
Old 02-18-2018, 06:18 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,365 Likes on 4,776 Posts

Originally Posted by GliderXXX
Damn that was a long winded answer to whether or not the simple Smart Tune with the SEPST is worth it. Thanks to the couple of Guys who provided feedback.
par for the course, did you really expect anything less!

Old 02-20-2018, 10:03 AM
GliderXXX
Outstanding HDF Member

So back to my original question; who can confirm the basic smart tune function, (not the one with new O2 sensors), improves over the base Stage 1 download the dealer performs. In another thread it has been mentioned that the Smart Tune feature of the SEPST is complicated with a steep learning curve. I though it appeared fairly simple once the software is downloaded on a laptop. Attach the SEPST to the bike to log data, download data to PC, load map to Tuner and download to bike. If it requires personally adjusting VE tables etc., then I'm out...no interest. If it's truly just capturing data then applying said data/map to ECM, I don't see how that's overly complex. Anyone have an opinion on that aspect?

Old 02-20-2018, 10:16 AM
GliderXXX
Outstanding HDF Member

I should add, I'm not new to tuning. In fact more familiar than I'd like to be. I've tuned my last three HD's with custom tunes. The first was an 03 Fatboy, but it was carb'd with a Thunderheader and big bore 95" with SE heads so a bit different. The second experience was a disaster by a hack and almost ruined my 06 big bore SG. The last was my 08 SG with the 107 HQ kit. There were good and bad times with this build and tune. I spent numerous hours at a very good honest tuners shop. While it ran good at times, other times it was not a good experience. The bike became a ping monster that needed to be turned into a pig at times with such a rich tune and retarded timing that mpg was as low as 32mpg. That is not a fun Harley Davidson to ride. I was never sure if the culprit was the build or the tune. In fact it probably had a lot to do with my decision to leave the HD world for 6 years, buy the BMW K1600GT and just ride. I did that for 6 years along with so many other sport bikes, ( some of which I still have and ride), I've lost count. I never stepped foot in another dyno room. But the appeal of HD is strong and I'm thrilled with my M8 RGS. It is by far the best HD I've ever owned and in stock form it out performed all the others. Now with the Stage 1 it runs good but feels a bit flat and less brisk with lower mpg than stock. I'm not opposed to another custom tune by the local guy I trust but hoped a solid and easy auto tune on the SEST would work as well.

Last edited by GliderXXX; 02-20-2018 at 10:19 AM.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:41 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

So back to my original question; who can confirm the basic smart tune function, (not the one with new O2 sensors), improves over the base Stage 1 download the dealer performs. In another thread it has been mentioned that the Smart Tune feature of the SEPST is complicated with a steep learning curve. I though it appeared fairly simple once the software is downloaded on a laptop. Attach the SEPST to the bike to log data, download data to PC, load map to Tuner and download to bike. If it requires personally adjusting VE tables etc., then I'm out...no interest. If it's truly just capturing data then applying said data/map to ECM, I don't see how that's overly complex. Anyone have an opinion on that aspect?
well maybe this will help answer your question at least somewhat..like you, I was concerned even after reading the tutorial on the SEPST that it might not be best for me to muck around with doing several smart tunes so I just had mine dyno tuned using the SEPST, which even in the tutorial states dyno tuning can be the most efficient/effective method. At least this can illustrate the improvements that can be made for a Stage 1 doing addt'l tuning beyond the Stage 1 ECM calibration. Sure the smart tunes will close the gap and who knows might even produce the same results, I just didn't mind paying the $375 to have it done right in 1 day and be done with it. While the results aren't earth shattering, more is more and better is better, so who wouldn't want that other than $$ / value perspective which means different things to different people

Attached Thumbnails Who has done a SEPST auto tune?-img_0588.jpg  
Old 02-20-2018, 11:43 AM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

There are two ways of doing a smart tune:
You can hook everything up and go out on the road and ride about 20 minutes or so before the tuner fills up with data. When it is "full" you ride back home and download it to your computer. At this point you have the option of letting the software recommend the changes to the cells or you can choose to do changes manually. Most people I think use the recommended changes and apply them. But, if you are a real knowledgeable kind of a guy who understands the software and tuning you can change things manually instead of taking the "recommended" changes to the cells. The latter would require more of a learning curve and study of the manual. I started out taking the recommended changes but after I became more adept I started to make "manual" changes to the cells.

The following users liked this post:
GliderXXX (02-20-2018)
Old 02-20-2018, 11:53 AM
GliderXXX
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Retrop
You can hook everything up and go out on the road and ride about 20 minutes or so before the tuner fills up with data. When it is "full" you ride back home and download it to your computer. At this point you have the option of letting the software recommend the changes to the cells or you can choose to do changes manually. Most people I think use the recommended changes and apply them. But, if you are a real knowledgeable kind of a guy who understands the software and tuning you can change things manually instead of taking the "recommended" changes to the cells. The latter would require more of a learning curve and study of the manual. I started out taking the recommended changes but after I became more adept I started to make "manual" changes to the cells.
Thanks..excellent answer and what I was thinking. Most 1st hand has been the former. That's what I've heard offers considerable improvements in rideability and what I'm considering.

Old 02-20-2018, 11:57 AM
GliderXXX
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by mjwebb
well maybe this will help answer your question at least somewhat..like you, I was concerned even after reading the tutorial on the SEPST that it might not be best for me to muck around with doing several smart tunes so I just had mine dyno tuned using the SEPST, which even in the tutorial states dyno tuning can be the most efficient/effective method. At least this can illustrate the improvements that can be made for a Stage 1 doing addt'l tuning beyond the Stage 1 ECM calibration. Sure the smart tunes will close the gap and who knows might even produce the same results, I just didn't mind paying the $375 to have it done right in 1 day and be done with it. While the results aren't earth shattering, more is more and better is better, so who wouldn't want that other than $$ / value perspective which means different things to different people
I wouldn't expect nor even want earth shattering but your chart demonstrates real ride ability improvements. As I said been down the tuning paths many times for many years and not opposed to it, just had some mixed results. I "think" I'm gonna give the smart tune a whirl first. Nothing to lose and its paid for.

Old 02-20-2018, 12:23 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

I "think" I'm gonna give the smart tune a whirl first. Nothing to lose and its paid for.
makes total sense, let us know your results

Old 02-20-2018, 12:40 PM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,527 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Originally Posted by Retrop
This is the route I took as well. When I first installed the canned tune map for stage 1, I thought it ran a little rougher than stock. Not sure if that was newbie user error, dont see how, or maybe thats par until your ride it a few miles.

Anyway, I did two auto(smart) tunes and the bikes performance improved and runs very well now.

Quick Reply: Who has done a SEPST auto tune?