Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parts List - Please give it a look-over..

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 05:09 PM
voxmortis
Novice
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Parts List - Please give it a look-over..

I'm in the final stages of buying a 2018 Road King Special.. I have some parts that I'm adding to the deal to make it long distance ready for me and my passenger.

Would you guys mind taking a look at my parts list and give some recommendations, see if I left anything off, or should consider swapping something out for something else? This will be my first harley, so any help from experienced folk would be appreciated.

One thing the dealer couldn't find which are really a must for me are the fork mounted lower wind deflectors (fangs?). If someone has a company name/part number, that would be great.

The windshield is the Harley one from the catalog. The exhaust is the RCX 4.5 Inch Slip-ons. For the exhaust I'm looking for a deep, throaty but crisp sound.. Something that won't kill me on long rides, but is still louder and nicer than stock.

Old 02-05-2018, 05:20 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,378 Likes on 4,784 Posts

I don't see luggage rack or highway pegs on your list..and yeah, sure enough don't see the 'fangs' offered for the RKS but is for the RK..a heim joint shift linkage rod is a good idea for $100..the ball and socket OEM ones wear and could get sloppy and even disengage

The following users liked this post:
voxmortis (02-05-2018)
Old 02-05-2018, 05:45 PM
voxmortis
Novice
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
I don't see luggage rack or highway pegs on your list..and yeah, sure enough don't see the 'fangs' offered for the RKS but is for the RK..a heim joint shift linkage rod is a good idea for $100..the ball and socket OEM ones wear and could get sloppy and even disengage
Good suggestions, thanks.. You find the highway pegs to be worth it on longer rides? I'll look into adding them now.

Old 02-05-2018, 06:06 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,857 Likes on 1,603 Posts

My only recommendation is that you should take a look at the touring parts for sale section. Most of these items pass through there regularly and you can save a ton if you're patient.

For example I've scored, 300 for RCX pipes and 600 for a heated CVO leather hammock seat complete with riders backrest w/mount and matching passenger tourpak backrest.

You'll find the passenger backrest (sissy bar) with pad for around 125 bucks usually. Look every day. Always deals to be had. Kinda neat.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-parts-121/

Last edited by lp; 02-05-2018 at 06:08 PM.
Old 02-05-2018, 06:18 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,378 Likes on 4,784 Posts

Originally Posted by voxmortis
Good suggestions, thanks.. You find the highway pegs to be worth it on longer rides? I'll look into adding them now.
legit question, answer varies by rider..I'm 6'3", long legs and a bad knee so on long trips need to stretch from time to time..just go on a long ride and you'll know if you find yourself getting cramped or uncomfortable at times

Old 02-05-2018, 06:31 PM
Noisy Cricket
Road Warrior
Received 366 Likes on 271 Posts

I had heated grips ($200) and flush mounted caps ($200) installed as well. Make sure the windshield is the correct size (should come up to your chin when sitting), although I replaced mine pretty quickly with a Freedom shield which is a lot thicker.

Old 02-05-2018, 06:43 PM
Mofo67
Stellar HDF Member
Received 816 Likes on 540 Posts

Congratulations on the decison. Like mentioned above a laggage rack. You mentioned when making a decision that you and your wife would be taking 200-300 mile weekend rides. The rack will come in handy if you need and extra bag for overnight. Also I don’t see docking hardware for the backrest or rack. Get the 4 point hardware so if you don’t get the luggage rack now and decide later you want it you won’t have to change docking hardware. Last thought is a black Daymaker Headlight. Makes you more visible and much better visibility at night. I think you’ll really like the seat, my Hammock has been great for about 3yrs now. Enjoy the new ride...

Old 02-05-2018, 06:51 PM
Noisy Cricket
Road Warrior
Received 366 Likes on 271 Posts

Have they talked about re-tuning? It would seem with 4.5" slip ons it would need to be, but I am not 100% certain. If you had the A/C changed it certainly would need to be. Someone here might know better but it seems bigger exhaust without bigger intake creates imbalance.

Old 02-05-2018, 07:19 PM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,527 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Just adding slip ons shouldn't need a tune.

As for the highway pegs, that was the very first thing i added to my bike. I'm only 5'9 and I wouldn't trade anything for them. I love being able to stretch my legs out. Especially when cramping up or knees hurting.

Old 02-05-2018, 07:45 PM
whocares
Road Warrior
Received 448 Likes on 221 Posts

Order your parts from boardtracker hd and save about $500 and no tax.all those parts are real easy to put on.just a thought.

Quick Reply: Parts List - Please give it a look-over..