ytsultra
|
Cruiser

Eastern ky.

Old 01-28-2018 | 01:08 PM
NugBa
Cruiser
Default You guys do it all wrong

Here is a great website to determine dealer cost. http://www.seedealercost.com/product...ug/powersports

Add prep and transportation (I round up to $1,000 for both) then I add $800. Unless it’s the end of the year model or last year. In this case depending on the bike I would take all the markup. Go in there and tell them what You will pay and get the deal. They will know you are serious and not just playing lowest bid wins between multiple dealerships. Don’t be afraid to walk away. You maintain power once you leave and can continue to negotiate over the phone. If it’s not a limited edition or CVO theywill negotiate. Keep the trade separate so you have a clear understanding of the deal.

I do this every time I buy a bike. If it’s a BMW I let them hold $500. If it’s a Harley I let them hold $800 if it’s a car I go below invoice and take most the holdback and let them make $200. I make it clear it’s my deal or no deal and stay firm.

For me it’s not about rock bottom price. I have a relationship with my dealer. It’s about what I am willing to pay. I think for a volume touring Harley $800 is reasonable. If another dealer tried to undercut by a couple hundred dollars I would let them known and if they said no I would still buy from them because I determine what I feel is reasonable for them to make on the bike.

Harley has the largest markup in the industry period. Nobody even comes close. The Ultra Limited has over $4,500 mark up. Some CVOs over $7,000. Don’t be a wimp while negotiating.

John

Last edited by NugBa; 01-28-2018 at 01:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
GOV5 (06-22-2018)
Old 01-28-2018 | 01:13 PM
ytsultra
|
Cruiser

I just want a fair price instead of the straight retail for everything plus tax

Old 01-29-2018 | 07:16 PM
AFSOC_Commando
Tourer

Originally Posted by ytsultra
Eastern ky.
Contact Rocky Top Harley, they have 7 dealerships 6 in TN and one in London KY.

They offered me a deal on my FLHTKL for I think for about 2k below MSRP out the door last May. They will move bikes between their dealerships to make the deal. They were great to talk to but over 500 miles to pick it up so I bypassed the deal. I can't remember who I talked to but check their 5 dealerships to see if they have the exact bike you want then call them to talk business.

They were great at the dealership when I stopped in to say hi a few months later on a road trip.

Try them!!

Good Luck!

Old 02-01-2018 | 01:05 AM
HDIron2
Road Captain

I did my deal over the phone, financing and all with a trade in to boot. Had to travel 90 miles to pick it up but rode the trade-in in and the new bike out. $21k OTD for my 2017.
It’s started with me emailing several dealerships asking for the best deal.

Old 02-01-2018 | 11:25 AM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member

There's also CycleTrader.com, where lots of dealers around the country post new bikes for sale and are pretty much begging for you to ask their internet department for an online quote.

Old 02-02-2018 | 09:23 AM
LocoPilot750
Cruiser

I'm thinking it would be a buyer's market right about now. Their business is in the toilet, sales are way down, the stock price is collapsing, they are closing the KC plant and laying off 800 workers, and it's in the middle of winter, and the M8's are having problems. I'm sure you don't have to remind him of any of that.

Old 02-02-2018 | 02:32 PM
NugBa
Cruiser

Originally Posted by LocoPilot750
I'm thinking it would be a buyer's market right about now. Their business is in the toilet, sales are way down, the stock price is collapsing, they are closi ng the KC plant and laying off 800 workers, and it's in the middle of winter, and the M8's are having problems. I'm sure you don't have to remind him of any of that.
Wait a minute, sales down 7.9% is not business in the toilet. Worldwide across all manufactures sales are down almost 10%. Harley is not doing as poorly as some manufactures. Also, it greatly depends on where you live, weather and time of year you are buying. I'm in PA outside of Philadelphia and I can tell you my local (Favorite) Harley dealer is actually doing pretty good business over this past week selling bikes even in freezing weather. I talk to the sales manager all the time and he mentioned business is good for the middle of winter at the moment. If business were so bad they would have 2017 new models sitting around everywhere and Harley would be driving crazy incentives to sell them. Harley is not offering much and my local dealer has very few new 2017s sitting on the floor.

Manufacture incentives are a great way to gauge just how well a manufacture is doing. Now, if we get half way through spring on the new model year and Harley starts throwing 0% low interest offers out there. You will know Harley is doing poorly. When was the last time you saw Harley do that on a new model year in spring or summer?

John

Last edited by NugBa; 02-02-2018 at 02:36 PM.
Old 02-04-2018 | 10:41 PM
badcooky
Banned

What you guys pay for an Ultra Classic we pay for a Heritage or there abouts.

Old 06-22-2018 | 05:31 AM
wilmersarmiento
Novice

I do agree that this is a buyer market. I shopped around my area and two dealers offered me $5,000 off MSRP for an ultra limited with color option. I drove 145 miles to the chosen dealer and they gave an extra $300 off, 15% discount on parts to install stage 1, and they charged me a fraction of the time to install the parts.

Not sure about other places but the dealers atiund south Florida are very motivated to sell right now.

The following users liked this post:
Eccool (07-03-2018)

Quick Reply: 2018 ultra classic What did you pay?