Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone installed a Rekluse Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 07:06 AM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member
Received 561 Likes on 272 Posts

If you need an E Brake, you could use the same method that works when you are wrenchin on the bike and wanna keep it stable, I use one of those velcro zip ties around the front brake lever pulling it against the grip. Very small, easy to carry and very effective.

The following users liked this post:
sportglide (01-26-2018)
Old 01-26-2018, 07:11 AM
DRBUICK
Road Master
Received 323 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by mikes300
that is not true, you still need use it to shift, it does not disengage when you shift
according to tech you only need to use clutch when riding hard

Old 01-26-2018, 07:43 AM
PDB17UltraRG
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 773 Likes on 735 Posts

Not sure i would want one yet i enjoy shifting plus i have a warranty would just be a reason for HD to void me. Plus if i wanted a automatic shifting motorcycle i would trade out for a new Goldwing which thinking hard about now. Not to happy with HD should have kept my 2012 Goldwing. Harley Davidson wasn’t what i tough it would be not close at all.

Old 01-26-2018, 07:48 AM
sportglide
Cruiser
Received 80 Likes on 45 Posts
Default in traffic

Originally Posted by dceggert
Yup, Rekluse has two available...the reduced effort one and the auto engaging one.

I am glad you are pursuing this as I noticed this last year and was pondering adding this to my '99 Ultra as the clutch pull on that one was REALLY rough in rush hour. Please let us all know how the install goes and how wonderful it is in operation! It is still on my potential future update list now on the 2018 FLHTK and would love to hear more about it. My rush hour commute can range from 40 minutes to 2 hours depending on who decides to run into who and where along the route; rough on the left forearm.

One aspect I would like to know more about is slow speed maneuvering in the friction zone. The videos show take off and stopping but nothing about slow speed stuff. I wonder if the rider still needs to take over with the clutch lever for that....?
@dceggert - although just installed my observations on the EXP are that it is super easy in traffic - especially if you only need first gear. You will notice a need to let the fluids warm up a bit before you start using the auto clutch feature since it will want to pull you along until everything is warmed up adequately especially during first 1k break in. If I am going 50mph and a light is changing I downshift and engine break as normal but when I get to first gear I let go of the clutch and just use the brakes as I would normally - the clutch will not let you stall the bike - at least mine hasn't.

Old 01-26-2018, 07:58 AM
Blue Tick
Road Master
Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by sportglide
@dceggert - although just installed my observations on the EXP are that it is super easy in traffic - especially if you only need first gear. You will notice a need to let the fluids warm up a bit before you start using the auto clutch feature since it will want to pull you along until everything is warmed up adequately especially during first 1k break in. If I am going 50mph and a light is changing I downshift and engine break as normal but when I get to first gear I let go of the clutch and just use the brakes as I would normally - the clutch will not let you stall the bike - at least mine hasn't.
This is the first I've heard of Rekluse. Can you explain the normal operation of this? Is it just like any normal ride, shifting, clutching, etc? You just don't have to worry about stalling in traffic or lights working the clutch? What about the rpm engagement lag someone else mentioned here?

Thanks.

Old 01-26-2018, 08:24 AM
DRBUICK
Road Master
Received 323 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue Tick
This is the first I've heard of Rekluse. Can you explain the normal operation of this? Is it just like any normal ride, shifting, clutching, etc? You just don't have to worry about stalling in traffic or lights working the clutch? What about the rpm engagement lag someone else mentioned here?

Thanks.
it makes it like a kids ATV or a snowmobile ( if you were not from texas) comes in at the same point every time

Last edited by DRBUICK; 01-26-2018 at 08:26 AM.
Old 01-26-2018, 10:55 AM
mikes300
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 484 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by PDB17UltraRG
Not sure i would want one yet i enjoy shifting plus i have a warranty would just be a reason for HD to void me. Plus if i wanted a automatic shifting motorcycle i would trade out for a new Goldwing which thinking hard about now. Not to happy with HD should have kept my 2012 Goldwing. Harley Davidson wasn’t what i tough it would be not close at all.
Ok just an FYI, this is NOT an auto transmission! You still need to shift gears, in fact if I didn’t tell you it was installed, you’ll never know, it acts just like any other bike except at idle the clutch dis engages, you can come to a complete stop, then take off and never touch the clutch, you do still need to shift, unless you want to ride around in the same gear lol

Originally Posted by DRBUICK
it makes it like a kids ATV or a snowmobile ( if you were not from texas) comes in at the same point every time
No it does not, neither of those have gears

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 05-11-2018 at 09:28 PM.
Old 01-26-2018, 12:21 PM
Eltopia
Advanced
Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts

Above 1200 rpm the clutch works as any other clutch. You can find the grey area and do slow speed turns. Mechanics that ride her bike won't know its a Rekluse clutch.
She has shifted without using the clutch for 75,000 miles. Its a matter of matching rpm to speed. Old big trucks did not have a synchronized Transmission and they always shifted without using the clutch.
The 17 & 18 idle slower than older models. There is slack from starting from a stop. Clutch works at 1200 rpm. Rekluse would know if this can be adjusted.

Last edited by Eltopia; 01-26-2018 at 12:22 PM.
sportglide (01-28-2018)
Old 01-26-2018, 12:59 PM
Afishinado
Road Master
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

There will be two distributors with them on hand at Daytona, Cycle Solutions and 52-52 Performance Tuning and both will be installing them. They installed free at Sturgis last year, no news on the plan for Daytona, I will be at both. If I decide to go for one, I want someone that knows how to dial it in, and I want to do a demo ride 1st (52-52 said they'll have a bike there I can try). While I'm recovering from the broken wrist (have two plates, and twelve screws to break in), this could be a real blessing.

Originally Posted by Eltopia
..........There is slack from starting from a stop. Clutch works at 1200 rpm. Rekluse would know if this can be adjusted.
This is my biggest concern at this time.

Old 01-26-2018, 06:47 PM
mikes300
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 484 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by Afishinado
There will be two distributors with them on hand at Daytona, Cycle Solutions and 52-52 Performance Tuning and both will be installing them. They installed free at Sturgis last year, no news on the plan for Daytona, I will be at both. If I decide to go for one, I want someone that knows how to dial it in, and I want to do a demo ride 1st (52-52 said they'll have a bike there I can try). While I'm recovering from the broken wrist (have two plates, and twelve screws to break in), this could be a real blessing.

This is my biggest concern at this time.
I can only assume that it’s pretty much like the ones I have in my dirt bikes, they make different weight wedges and different strength springs, you can dial them in to engage pretty much anyway you want, mine have absolutely zero lag, if I breath on the throttle the bike moves.

sportglide (01-28-2018)

Quick Reply: Has anyone installed a Rekluse Clutch