Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone installed a Rekluse Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 07:13 PM
Eltopia
Advanced
Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts

My wife put 75,000 miles on a 14 street glide with a recluse clutch. It worked perfect. Now she has 3000 miles on 18 Street Glide. The heavy duty springs made the clutch pull a lot harder. Installed weaker springs and Recluse said it might slip. She rides easy so no slip. I don't know if it would slip in hard riding. Clutch now pulls like original.
The 14 would stop with no clutch pull and take off smoothly. The 18 idles slower so it has a 200 rpm free wheeling zone. Fast throttle from a stop has a jerk as clutch doesn't engage until 1100 rpm. I don't know if there is a remedy for this.
She thinks the clutch is great.

The following users liked this post:
DRBUICK (01-24-2018)
Old 01-24-2018, 04:40 PM
Desertwndrr
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I have and run a Recluse clutch in my 2012 with a 124" motor. Fantastic clutch. I run it with the SE spring and Rekluse claims it will hold to 195ft/lb or so. The way they did the pressure plate geometry it reduces the pull a bit and so I don't have issues with cramping hands in traffic. Its super smooth. Highly recommended!!

I had a Bandit clutch that would chatter and was grabby. Went through two sets of plates with it. Hated it.

The following 2 users liked this post by Desertwndrr:
DRBUICK (01-24-2018), sportglide (01-26-2018)
Old 01-24-2018, 06:04 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,474 Likes on 1,353 Posts

Originally Posted by asputin
So if the bike is not running and you park on a hill, will it roll?
I asked Rekluse about that. I always park in gear, always have, since I started riding nearly 40 years ago. I hate the idea of parking in public in neutral; if some moron bumps the bike it could go over, etc. Plus parking on a hill, especially a decline, etc.

According to Rekluse: yes, it will act like it's in neutral when it's parked. If you leave it in a situation where leaving the bike in neutral would cause it to roll, then yes, it will do so with the Rekluse even if the bike is left in gear.

The Rekluse representative also said "Know that many H-D mechanics do not recommend you park the bike in gear on a hill and “ Hang” the bike by the transmission. ". Never heard that before; is there some mechanical reason why?

Finally, the Rekluse rep said that they include straps for the front brake lever so it can be used as a parking brake. For those who have a Rekluse -- is that practical? Is it an irritant?

sportglide (01-26-2018)
Old 01-25-2018, 12:30 AM
Desertwndrr
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

To be clear. I did not use the auto-clutch. I used the standard clutch.

Old 01-25-2018, 08:36 AM
DRBUICK
Road Master
Received 323 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by FatBob2018
I asked Rekluse about that. I always park in gear, always have, since I started riding nearly 40 years ago. I hate the idea of parking in public in neutral; if some moron bumps the bike it could go over, etc. Plus parking on a hill, especially a decline, etc.

According to Rekluse: yes, it will act like it's in neutral when it's parked. If you leave it in a situation where leaving the bike in neutral would cause it to roll, then yes, it will do so with the Rekluse even if the bike is left in gear.

The Rekluse representative also said "Know that many H-D mechanics do not recommend you park the bike in gear on a hill and “ Hang” the bike by the transmission. ". Never heard that before; is there some mechanical reason why?

Finally, the Rekluse rep said that they include straps for the front brake lever so it can be used as a parking brake. For those who have a Rekluse -- is that practical? Is it an irritant?
i think its necessary. I drive in stop and go every time I take my bike to work so with 6 months to get my money back I have to try it

Old 01-25-2018, 10:23 AM
dceggert
Road Master
Received 512 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by DRBUICK
this is not a reduced effort clutch, this is no clutch needed at all
Yup, Rekluse has two available...the reduced effort one and the auto engaging one.

I am glad you are pursuing this as I noticed this last year and was pondering adding this to my '99 Ultra as the clutch pull on that one was REALLY rough in rush hour. Please let us all know how the install goes and how wonderful it is in operation! It is still on my potential future update list now on the 2018 FLHTK and would love to hear more about it. My rush hour commute can range from 40 minutes to 2 hours depending on who decides to run into who and where along the route; rough on the left forearm.

One aspect I would like to know more about is slow speed maneuvering in the friction zone. The videos show take off and stopping but nothing about slow speed stuff. I wonder if the rider still needs to take over with the clutch lever for that....?

Old 01-25-2018, 11:50 AM
mikes300
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 484 Likes on 368 Posts

this is not a reduced effort clutch, this is no clutch needed at all
that is not true, you still need use it to shift, it does not disengage when you shift

Old 01-25-2018, 11:55 AM
mikes300
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 484 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by FatBob2018

its never been an issue on any ob my dirt bike's and you would need to bump a 800 pound bike awfully hard to move it that much, I can also see a velcro strap on the brake as pretty simple and useful solution for any fears you might have.

Old 01-25-2018, 12:39 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,474 Likes on 1,353 Posts

Found another emergency brake solution -- squeeze the front brake, jam a nickel under the front brake lever, and voila - emergency brake.

If there's anything I don't like about biking in general, it's getting stuck in stop 'n' go traffic or stuck on the freeway traffic jam and the constant inching forward with the clutch. The Rekluse looks like it'd eliminate that as a problem entirely, while leaving the rest of the bike's operations exactly as they are. Seems like a pretty good thing. I haven't heard anyone say anything bad about the Rekluse yet, anywhere... only concern was with the emergency brake.

I asked them if they're going to be at the Harley 115th anniversary in Milwaukee, they said no, but they'll be at Sturgis.

Old 01-26-2018, 06:26 AM
sportglide
Cruiser
Received 80 Likes on 45 Posts

I was looking into this has any one installed one? Im making 130 is TQ an HP
but drive in rush hour a lot. and looks like it will be fun out of the hole
I had one installed on my new 2018 sport glide along with a SE Stage IV upgrade. I REALLY like it. Although it takes some getting used to. Next step is to add a Pingle Electronic shifter and then there is no catching me out of the gate. Rekluse clutches can handle all the torque your making easily.

Originally Posted by Gunnysgt
I wonder if they will fit with the new narrow primary that Harley is using on the new bikes? I suspect it could require changing the cover to the previous wider one.
I just had one installed on my 2018 Sport Glide - no problem - and it WORKS GREAT - maybe a pingle shifter next.

Originally Posted by Afishinado
I've just started riding again after crushing my left wrist in an accident on a ATV... Would be nice to reduce clutch effort while I heal up! Going to find out if they'll have a booth at Daytona...
Rekluse does not reduce effort to engage clutch - just eliminates the need to hold it in at traffic lights.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 05-11-2018 at 09:28 PM.
DRBUICK (01-26-2018)

Quick Reply: Has anyone installed a Rekluse Clutch