Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wanted: clarity on sumping

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2018 | 03:25 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by FatBob2018
What could have changed? My guess is some extended time in a higher RPM range.

If I'm not mistaken, KeithHu is the one who said he can make it happen pretty much at will, pulling out and passing a line of cars. If it's a good long run at high RPMs, maybe that's what's happening. Could have been someone else though.
My guess is that any time spent in the high RPM range is probably causing some buildup of oil in the sump.
Well maybe or maybe not.

I had ridden it to Sturgis and back with no problems. 90MPH on I 90 in SD for a few hours each way, no issues, until a month after I got back.

I will say that both times the engine cratered it was on the highway, but the first time I was going 75-80 mph, nothing crazy, and the 2nd time I was deliberately trying to take it easy. Not exactly high RPM either time.

The following users liked this post:
Eccool (07-17-2018)
Old 01-20-2018 | 06:23 PM
1Canuck
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
Most are from tin men who sale other bikes. Read them. Most really do not even know how much oil really runs in the sump. And Harley sure does not publish it. Lot depends on year. My old 2004 has a lip in the sump that keep almost 24 Oz's or so in the sump and cam galley for inner cam bearing lubrication.
did you mean 2-4 oz?

Old 01-20-2018 | 07:31 PM
triumph900
Road Captain

Originally Posted by FatBob2018
My current theory for sumping is that the faster the engine spins, the more oil collects in the sump.
Those who have Stage III or Stage IV on their bikes, are probably more likely to spin the engine up higher in the RPM range more frequently than other riders, because that's where all the improvement in performance is found. Especially in Stage IV.
Steve Cole says it can happen to any bike, including stock. We've seen reports of it happening to stock bikes. We've seen reports of it not happening for 15,000 miles, then suddenly happening. What could have changed? My guess is some extended time in a higher RPM range.

If I'm not mistaken, KeithHu is the one who said he can make it happen pretty much at will, pulling out and passing a line of cars. If it's a good long run at high RPMs, maybe that's what's happening. Could have been someone else though.
My guess is that any time spent in the high RPM range is probably causing some buildup of oil in the sump. If it's only a little, then the system can clear it, and you have a problem-free bike. If you spend too much time in the high-RPM range, then the oil accumulates faster than the pump can clear it, reaches to the crankshaft, and you get the sumping symptoms of frothing oil, loss of power, and engine damage.

My guess is that those of us who have never had the problem, probably don't spend much time in the high-RPM range. I know that in general I don't really exceed 4000 RPM very often, usually only in a quick dash up the freeway onramp, and most of my riding time is at under 3000 RPMs backroad cruising. Under my theory, that should not lead to any sumping issues, as any accumulated oil during high-RPM maneuvers should be pretty slight since high-RPM is infrequently encountered. I have the torque cam in mine, so the main power gains are down low, under 4000, and that's where I usually ride.

Those with Stage IV especially, all the power gains come at 4500 RPM+. If I had a Stage IV, I'd ride the hell out of it at 4500-6000 RPM, that I can guarantee you. And, probably not coincidentally (under my theory), Stage IV bikes are more prone to sumping. Not necessarily because it has Stage IV installed, but more likely because a Stage IV bike is more prone to being ridden more frequently at higher RPM, thus resulting in more oil collection in the sump.

We had a post on here yesterday, someone said that riding at 5000 RPM would cause the bike to sump, period. He said he could ride all day long under 5000, no problem, but at 5000+, it'd happen every time. Now, that could be just his bike, or it could be the key to understanding the whole sumping mystery and why it happens to some but not all of us, and that maybe it has nothing to do with Stage III or IV, etc.

I guess we'd need a guinea pig to verify it for us. I know I don't want to try to force my bike into a sumping situation, but if there's someone out there who wants to test the theory, I'd think you'd want to do something like, say...

1. Check the oil level.
2. Go do 15 minutes of normal riding, keeping the RPMs below 3000.
3. Check the oil level.
4. Go do 15 minutes of banzai hell-for-leather riding with RPMs as high as you can keep 'em.
5. Check the oil level.

If step 5 shows a bigger oil level change than step 3, then ... yeah, high-RPMs probably result in oil collecting in the sump and not being properly scavenged out.

If it can be demonstrated that this happens on a never-sumped-before bike with repeatability, then we would have documented evidence of a fundamental design flaw in the M8, and that the M8 doesn't meet the basic fitness-for-purpose test, and the MoCo would have to fix it and recall all bikes so affected.

Simultaneously, it should pretty much demonstrate to riders what they need to do to avoid the sumping issue, so they don't necessarily have to fear getting stranded in the middle of the desert by a random chance event.

I'm not a mechanic, I'm a computer programmer who spends my days trying to figure out what went wrong in programs, piecing together the evidence, and then fixing the problem. So I may be totally off-base here, but it seems reasonable to me that the triggering event is high-RPM operation.
Well, except that my 100% stock, stage 0 2016 Fatbob that has never been run at 5000 rpm for extended periods of time, has a sumping problem. High rpm may be part of the problem, but not the only cause.

Old 01-20-2018 | 07:56 PM
BigRed117
Outstanding HDF Member

Let me just say I have a stage three. First off for those of you that do not have a stage three and are making incorrect assumptions from those HD posted dyno sheets, the power comes on much sooner than 4000 or 5000rpm as posted. You will notice a big change beginning at 3000 rpm. I do not tend to stay in the 5 k rpm range but only very briefly. I do stay between 3000 and 3800 most of the time. Have not experienced sumping nor tranny fluid migration. I have decided to change fluids every 1000 miles for awhile for that very reason. This allows direct inspection of the fluids and so far, hope and fingers crossed not an ounce of fluid being where it’s not supposed to be and clean as a pin just like it came out of the bottle. I think if you beat on your bike you greatly increase your chances of experiencing issues. Course that is just an opinion as I have no data to back up that assumption .

Old 01-21-2018 | 06:12 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by 1Canuck
did you mean 2-4 oz?
No, but remember, I am referring to an older TC. They have a lip cast into the sump. Later versions did away with it and the M8 also does not have it.

By engineering lubrication without the splash gets a few more HP.. However the first TC's has some problems and I think Harley tried to fix the short tensioner life and inner cam bearing problem this way. When they went to the roller chain, they removed the lip. The roller like the primary once it grooves into the tensioner, rolls and no longer wears.
When I get to my laptop, I will post a picture.

Old 01-21-2018 | 09:58 AM
1Canuck
Ultimate HDF Member

Thanks,
oil spray replaced the oil splash system with dry sump, was not sure when.

Old 01-21-2018 | 10:15 AM
DTTJGlide
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
No, but remember, I am referring to an older TC. They have a lip cast into the sump. Later versions did away with it and the M8 also does not have it.

By engineering lubrication without the splash gets a few more HP.. However the first TC's has some problems and I think Harley tried to fix the short tensioner life and inner cam bearing problem this way. When they went to the roller chain, they removed the lip. The roller like the primary once it grooves into the tensioner, rolls and no longer wears.
When I get to my laptop, I will post a picture.
Your softail engine may have a lip in as you say, most likely because of the balancers, but the standard motors do not have that. The TC engine does not use "splash" lubrication for the cam bearings or elsewhere, other than for the balancer system & the cam chains.

Last edited by DTTJGlide; 01-21-2018 at 10:16 AM.
Old 01-21-2018 | 11:25 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by DTTJGlide
Your softail engine may have a lip in as you say, most likely because of the balancers, but the standard motors do not have that. The TC engine does not use "splash" lubrication for the cam bearings or elsewhere, other than for the balancer system & the cam chains.
Read the service manual under engine lubrication before making statements like that. They do. And the balance cams have a extra small screen in the cam plate that pressured oil lubricates the balance system. Of course that is not on the non TCb.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 01-21-2018 at 11:27 AM.
Old 01-21-2018 | 12:16 PM
DTTJGlide
Stellar HDF Member

I will stand on my statement that the only thing splash lubricated is the chains & tensioners,both the cam & balancer chains & shoes, all bearings are pressure fed. Your statement on sumping has no relevance to the problems on M8s because the sumps on A motor twin cams & M8s are not supposed to carry the 24oz of oil you claim is in your B motor sump. I'm not arguing whether that is correct or not as I have no direct experience with B motors, just that it has nothing to do with the M8. You can beleive whatever you want I'm done arguing. Have a nice day.

Old 07-16-2018 | 05:03 PM
billyo00769
Advanced

Originally Posted by triumph900
I must really be lucky then. My completely stock 2018 114 Fatbob is in dealer shop waiting for new oil pump. 1800 miles. It can, and does happen to anyone.

I have a 2018 road king - 1 month old. stage one done at purchase. after 1500 miles the thing craps out after 100 miles and loses power. the top end gets loud. at 6000 feet on i-80 it started losing power getting hot and thought the engine would blow. turned around and went back to sacramento (sea level) ran better but still rough. dealer drives it cold for 10 miles and says it’s ok. i get it back and after 60-80 miles does it again. So frustrating.

Quick Reply: Wanted: clarity on sumping