Sponsored by:

Tuning with the Pro Street Tuner

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 10:16 AM
martin10
Road Warrior
Received 512 Likes on 334 Posts
Default Tuning with the Pro Street Tuner

I realize there are few adjustments that can be made with this tuner. But there have been 2 dyno charts posted here where dyno tuners found a couple of extra hp and lb ft. on a Stage1 bike. MJ Webb was one of them. I assume that extra power came from timing changes. Does that sound right? I don't have any reputable tuners near me so I guess doing some smart tunes and maybe bumping up the timing a couple of degrees is the way to go. Any input on this tuner appreciated. Well, other than suggesting another tuner. That's another story.

Old 01-09-2018, 02:40 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,474 Likes on 1,353 Posts

Do any professional dyno tuners do a full session with the Pro Street Tuner? And if so, have there been significant gains made? I've got a Stage II 114 that I'd like to max out, but because I've got six years of warranty in front of me I'd have to stay with the Pro Street Tuner.

Or, yeah, should we just run some smart tune sessions and call it done?

Old 01-09-2018, 02:48 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,366 Likes on 4,777 Posts

Originally Posted by FatBob2018
Do any professional dyno tuners do a full session with the Pro Street Tuner? And if so, have there been significant gains made? I've got a Stage II 114 that I'd like to max out, but because I've got six years of warranty in front of me I'd have to stay with the Pro Street Tuner.

Or, yeah, should we just run some smart tune sessions and call it done?
either or, dyno or auto tunes...HD explains in their SEPST tutorial..I went with dyno tuning with significant improvements over just the Stage 1 ECM recalibration result

Old 01-09-2018, 03:10 PM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,527 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Originally Posted by martin10
I realize there are few adjustments that can be made with this tuner. But there have been 2 dyno charts posted here where dyno tuners found a couple of extra hp and lb ft. on a Stage1 bike. MJ Webb was one of them. I assume that extra power came from timing changes. Does that sound right? I don't have any reputable tuners near me so I guess doing some smart tunes and maybe bumping up the timing a couple of degrees is the way to go. Any input on this tuner appreciated. Well, other than suggesting another tuner. That's another story.
What part of VA are you located martin10? If you're south, not a far drive to some good indy shops around here.

Old 01-09-2018, 03:50 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 131 Posts

There's minimal gains to be made on the dyno. Here's one that had very little improvement over the canned MAP, you can see the Air Fuel didn't have enough adjustment to get any more out of it. I went through the timing and it didn't make much difference. If your bike runs decent save your money and run through a couple autotunes and call it good. it is what it is.

Attached Thumbnails Tuning with the Pro Street Tuner-street-tune-b-and-a.jpeg   Tuning with the Pro Street Tuner-street-tune-w-af.jpeg  
The following 2 users liked this post by harleytuner:
Spy11 (01-13-2018), teedoff65 (01-09-2018)
Old 01-09-2018, 03:53 PM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,527 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Originally Posted by harleytuner
There's minimal gains to be made on the dyno. Here's one that had very little improvement over the canned MAP, you can see the Air Fuel didn't have enough adjustment to get any more out of it. I went through the timing and it didn't make much difference. If your bike runs decent save your money and run through a couple autotunes and call it good. it is what it is.
Exactly what a local reputable indy show told me when I asked about a full dyno. Saving my dyno money for a cam/exhaust upgrade

Old 01-09-2018, 04:47 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,474 Likes on 1,353 Posts

Fantastic response. Those charts actually look good, you managed to squeeze 5% more peak HP and 5 ft/lbs out of it in the midrange. But yeah, I wouldn't want to pay $400 or so to get such a small boost in results, especially if the auto-tune sessions will get me reasonably close. So -- auto-tune it is. Thanks for the voice of experience!

Last edited by FatBob2018; 01-09-2018 at 04:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Spy11 (01-13-2018)
Old 01-09-2018, 04:52 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

this kind of stuff confuses me..is there just a lot of variances between dynos and such..i mean mine doesn't appear to be all that much off with dyno tuning using SESPT and Stage 1 with stock exhaust..???

Attached Thumbnails Tuning with the Pro Street Tuner-img_0588.jpg  
Old 01-09-2018, 05:14 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
this kind of stuff confuses me..is there just a lot of variances between dynos and such..i mean mine doesn't appear to be all that much off with dyno tuning using SESPT and Stage 1 with stock exhaust..???
Ive had a few that are closer, this example was not even close, who knows why. All I can do is work within the capabilities of the tuner. The MAP I used was an exact match for the parts installed in the bike. It drives me crazy knowing I could have gotten much better results. I use hope HD gets their issues worked out (And no more come up) soon. We need consumer confidence to go up so people stop worrying about warranty

The following 2 users liked this post by harleytuner:
04ctd (05-18-2019), mjwebb (01-09-2018)
Old 01-09-2018, 05:22 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Ive had a few that are closer, this example was not even close, who knows why. All I can do is work within the capabilities of the tuner. The MAP I used was an exact match for the parts installed in the bike. It drives me crazy knowing I could have gotten much better results. I use hope HD gets their issues worked out (And no more come up) soon. We need consumer confidence to go up so people stop worrying about warranty
yeah, who knows, i sure don't..but was pleasantly surprised to see 10 ft lbs of tq increase at 2000 rpms from the SE S1 map to using the SEPST dyno tuned..can definitely feel it..best part is it just feels more responsive overall..I'm a believer in proper dyno tuning

Quick Reply: Tuning with the Pro Street Tuner