Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question on stock bike or stage one (engine)

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 08:10 PM
roadrash3
Road Master
Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts
Default question on stock bike or stage one (engine)

Didn't quite know how to title the thread, but curious on all your thoughts. In the past with the 103 motor, I always did stage 1 right away or more, especially since in CA this bike ran so hot. I got a new bike that is strictly used as a commuter, I don't want to put a bunch of cash in it, as I am going to run the miles up fast. I am fine with the M8, its output but curious if doing a stage one, helping it breath better would help the motor last longer. Or is the motor running fine stock, that I can run 100k miles on it no problems. Mainly just curious on longevity of the motor, don't care about this bike having power etc. Thanks

Old 01-08-2018, 08:22 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,599 Likes on 2,722 Posts

Originally Posted by roadrash3
Didn't quite know how to title the thread, but curious on all your thoughts. In the past with the 103 motor, I always did stage 1 right away or more, especially since in CA this bike ran so hot. I got a new bike that is strictly used as a commuter, I don't want to put a bunch of cash in it, as I am going to run the miles up fast. I am fine with the M8, its output but curious if doing a stage one, helping it breath better would help the motor last longer. Or is the motor running fine stock, that I can run 100k miles on it no problems. Mainly just curious on longevity of the motor, don't care about this bike having power etc. Thanks
It runs fine stock. Where did you get the notion that a stage 1 extends engine life? Plenty of stock bikes that are durable. In fact you could argue that modifying the bike makes it less reliable.

The great thing about the M8 engines is that stock is just as good if not better than a 103 stage 1, so why spend the money. I'm done with that. Slip ons and that's it for me, plenty of power in the m8

The following users liked this post:
pcwizard (08-22-2018)
Old 01-08-2018, 09:08 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,342 Likes on 4,766 Posts

I got a new bike that is strictly used as a commuter, I don't want to put a bunch of cash in it, as I am going to run the miles up fast. I am fine with the M8, its output. Or is the motor running fine stock, that I can run 100k miles on it no problems. Mainly just curious on longevity of the motor, don't care about this bike having power etc. Thanks
congrats on the new M8, they're great! mission accomplished staying put for your goals..i do believe opening the floodgates so to speak on increasing air throughput over the OEM restrictions is beneficial but not necessary for durability, reliability, longevity & fuel economy..the money you save will buy maintenance, gasoline, tires, etc

Old 01-08-2018, 09:28 PM
roadrash3
Road Master
Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Keithhu
It runs fine stock. Where did you get the notion that a stage 1 extends engine life? Plenty of stock bikes that are durable. In fact you could argue that modifying the bike makes it less reliable.

The great thing about the M8 engines is that stock is just as good if not better than a 103 stage 1, so why spend the money. I'm done with that. Slip ons and that's it for me, plenty of power in the m8
I always assumed with the old twin cams I owned, that they ran so hot and so lean that it was not healthy on the motor. I always did a stage one and pipes to help it run better, not so lean. The M8 runs pretty damn good, I wondered if I needed to do a full stage one, air cleaner tuner slips at least etc to increase longevity. I could be very very wrong on that though. I thought about a tuner, slip ons and air cleaner, but thinking about it now, I guess its still chocked up with the head pipe and cat, so its not truly breathing and still running in a choked up state. If stock is not super lean, I might just keep this commuter stock. As the last commenter wrote, better to use the money for service items

Old 01-08-2018, 09:34 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,599 Likes on 2,722 Posts

I always assumed with the old twin cams I owned, that they ran so hot and so lean that it was not healthy on the motor. I always did a stage one and pipes to help it run better, not so lean. The M8 runs pretty damn good, I wondered if I needed to do a full stage one, air cleaner tuner slips at least etc to increase longevity. I could be very very wrong on that though. I thought about a tuner, slip ons and air cleaner, but thinking about it now, I guess its still chocked up with the head pipe and cat, so its not truly breathing and still running in a choked up state. If stock is not super lean, I might just keep this commuter stock. As the last commenter wrote, better to use the money for service items
Choked up state? Dont over think it. They run fine.

Do you run out and buy a stage 1 for every car you buy?

Relax.

Old 01-08-2018, 09:45 PM
badcooky
Banned
Received 473 Likes on 370 Posts

You are right the Twin cam was junk that ran hot and with more cubes they ran hotter, fixing a few things cooled them down enough it made them last longer.

Last edited by badcooky; 01-08-2018 at 09:48 PM.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:58 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,342 Likes on 4,766 Posts

also, for resale value anyway..if I'm buying a used one I'd prefer to buy one bone stock with service records...whatever money you put into your bike don't expect it to get it back on resale, trade in, etc...since you plan on commuting and running up the miles it's not a bad idea just leaving it stock and keep it maintained and just enjoy the ride..you may very well change your mind in time anyway and do like most of us do and spend spend spend! but you don't have to run right out and throw a bunch of $$$ at it

Last edited by mjwebb; 01-08-2018 at 10:05 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by mjwebb:
Mathis (01-08-2018), riknbeth (01-09-2018)
Old 01-09-2018, 06:42 AM
riknbeth
Road Master
Received 189 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
congrats on the new M8, they're great! mission accomplished staying put for your goals..i do believe opening the floodgates so to speak on increasing air throughput over the OEM restrictions is beneficial but not necessary for durability, reliability, longevity & fuel economy..the money you save will buy maintenance, gasoline, tires, etc
Agree. I went stage 1 purely for looks. I like the heavy breather, wanted to make it a little louder and wanted to black out some of my bike. Smart, stupid? Who gives a ****, my personal preference and my money. I will say I dumped lots of money in my 103" and the M8 is the first bike that I really loved bone stock. So no upgrades really needed, but it's your money. Should probably update my picture, its right off the floor at the dealer...Good luck!

Last edited by riknbeth; 01-09-2018 at 06:43 AM.
Old 01-09-2018, 07:43 AM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

Keep that M8 stock and keep those dollars in your wallet.

Old 01-10-2018, 02:09 AM
Kwlambright
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thought about a stage one kit but just have slip ons for a little noise and that’s it. The rest of my money was used for lights and comfort, biggest comfort is the shield to kick some wind off my head

Quick Reply: question on stock bike or stage one (engine)