Sponsored by:

zippers 468 cam

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 06:50 AM
billbrummett
Tourer
Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts
Default zippers 468 cam

advertised as "bolt in". my bike is stock. can i just install and get results without tuner? I have rinehart slip-ons and stock A/C

Old 12-29-2017, 07:52 AM
FLSTFI Dave
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,989 Likes on 2,365 Posts

Originally Posted by billbrummett
advertised as "bolt in". my bike is stock. can i just install and get results without tuner? I have rinehart slip-ons and stock A/C
Bolt in means no head work required.

You will most defiantly need a tune when you change cams.

Old 12-29-2017, 09:44 AM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,922 Likes on 3,290 Posts

Zippers is a great company and they sell some outstanding products but the specs on that cam are so far off from everything else I've looked at it's crazy.

It has an extremely mild lobe as well.

To answer the question: YES, you will need a tune. Just an FYI. The SE tuners do not work with aftermarket cams which is why even at your local moco they will put it on the dyno and tune it with something like a TTS tuner.

Just keeping it real.

Last edited by Oldskewl; 12-29-2017 at 10:03 AM.
Old 12-31-2017, 05:36 PM
John Kyle
Cruiser
Received 46 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by billbrummett

I have an m8 softail and I'm really thinking on this cam. The dyno charts for it are awesome and there was a guy that posted a sound clip on the zippers performance Facebook page. It sounds MEAN,with a really nice lope. I'm going to call them after the new year and ask them how they feel about it in a softail since its a bit different weight than the touring bikes.

Old 12-31-2017, 05:56 PM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 619 Likes on 426 Posts

Originally Posted by John Kyle
I have an m8 softail and I'm really thinking on this cam. The dyno charts for it are awesome and there was a guy that posted a sound clip on the zippers performance Facebook page. It sounds MEAN,with a really nice lope. I'm going to call them after the new year and ask them how they feel about it in a softail since its a bit different weight than the touring bikes.
The dyno sheet you see is virtually the same as what you’d get with the same cam in your bike. The difference in bike weights would only come into play in acceleration rates.
That power improvement would feel great in any bike.
Bob

Old 12-31-2017, 05:59 PM
John Kyle
Cruiser

Originally Posted by FLTRI17
The dyno sheet you see is virtually the same as what you’d get with the same cam in your bike. The difference in bike weights would only come into play in acceleration rates.
That power improvement would feel great in any bike.
Bob
true. I live in the country so most of my riding is back roads so that 468 looks like it's put me in the perfect rpm range!

Old 12-31-2017, 06:02 PM
Ashnic
Road Warrior
Received 271 Likes on 107 Posts

I have the 465..really like the looks of the 468 on the sheet..

Old 12-31-2017, 06:05 PM
John Kyle
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Ashnic
I have the 465..really like the looks of the 468 on the sheet..

get up and roll is there, it's still a,lot more than stock even when it drops off so I guess it'd still feel more than stock? My normal riding never takes me over 3700 rpms so I guess I'm right at the drop off point anyways.

Old 01-01-2018, 06:03 AM
roadglider05
Road Master
Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

Agree with the tuner needed, we should not be over camming these engines to put out peak horsepower where we don't ride. Look at specs and call the vendors, of course they will tell you theirs is the best. I think you are heading in the right direction, but as always your exhaust choice is key.

Old 01-01-2018, 09:30 PM
DTTJGlide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 255 Likes on 155 Posts

[QUOTE=Oldskewl;16949016]Zippers is a great company and they sell some outstanding products but the specs on that cam are so far off from everything else I've looked at it's crazy.

I've got all the aftermarket cam specs in front of me & I don't see a huge difference between most of them, especially the 2 top cams out right now, the CR460 & the RS468. The specs are way different than any of the MOCO cams, but they're dealing with EPA. The stock heads have a poor intake to exhaust flow differential just like the early twincams, that's why the longer duration on the exhaust side. It's hard to argue with the results they posted, it's going to be a big learning curve with the 4valve heads, what worked on the TCs won't work on the M8s. Bob Wood is one of the best on the older motors, but his original 222 for the M8 was a flop, his 22XX is much better, learning curve, the best may be yet to come

Quick Reply: zippers 468 cam