Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noise?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2017, 09:58 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

I can't discern from the video whether or not I hear pinging. But if you are experiencing pinging with the highest octane fuel you have available then there is only one cure... You have to back out a little timing until the ping is cured.

Unfortunately, the only way I know of to do that is with a tuner. I believe the SE tuner allows ignition timing changes but I'm not certain of the range. Most aftermarket tuners are infinitely adjustable.

As for the knock sensors, while they can and do help, they are not 100% effective in all cases.

Last edited by 2black1s; 12-16-2017 at 10:00 PM.
Old 12-17-2017, 07:21 AM
hollandhunter
Road Captain
Received 127 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by 2black1s
I can't discern from the video whether or not I hear pinging. But if you are experiencing pinging with the highest octane fuel you have available then there is only one cure... You have to back out a little timing until the ping is cured.

Unfortunately, the only way I know of to do that is with a tuner. I believe the SE tuner allows ignition timing changes but I'm not certain of the range. Most aftermarket tuners are infinitely adjustable.

As for the knock sensors, while they can and do help, they are not 100% effective in all cases.
Yea im not sure what it is. Was hoping dealer could pin point it for me. But there first attempt was a fail. So i dont know what to do. I would love to put a tuner and stage 1 on my bike. But im afraid with my luck it wont fix it then if i have major trouble out of it my warrenty will be gone. So i can keep it stock and continue to search for it and let the dealer look at it again. Or tune it and risk loosing my warrenty. I have been over every bolt on the bike i can get too. An still beleive if its not a engine detonation/ping its something comeing from the primary. Its for sure coming when i roll on the throttle and no other time and seems to be heard better on the left side. But i can hear it from just about any position on the bike. Octane doesnt do jack. I have felt the bike run bettter in my search for better gas but the noise doesnt change. I can tell when my bike has better gas then the last tank because it runs smoother and responds quicker. But like i said has no effect on the sound im concerned with.

Last edited by hollandhunter; 12-17-2017 at 07:23 AM.
Old 12-17-2017, 09:59 AM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by hollandhunter
Yea im not sure what it is. Was hoping dealer could pin point it for me. But there first attempt was a fail. So i dont know what to do. I would love to put a tuner and stage 1 on my bike. But im afraid with my luck it wont fix it then if i have major trouble out of it my warrenty will be gone. So i can keep it stock and continue to search for it and let the dealer look at it again. Or tune it and risk loosing my warrenty. I have been over every bolt on the bike i can get too. An still beleive if its not a engine detonation/ping its something comeing from the primary. Its for sure coming when i roll on the throttle and no other time and seems to be heard better on the left side. But i can hear it from just about any position on the bike. Octane doesnt do jack. I have felt the bike run bettter in my search for better gas but the noise doesnt change. I can tell when my bike has better gas then the last tank because it runs smoother and responds quicker. But like i said has no effect on the sound im concerned with.
If you only hear the sound when rolling on the throttle, that to me is a pretty good indicator that what you're hearing is pinging.

If you are concerned with warranty research the SE Tuner. It will not void your warranty and it may be able to tune away the ping with ignition timing changes. I'm just not sure of the ignition timing adjustment limits of the SE Tuner... That's why I suggest you research it before just jumping in.

Old 12-17-2017, 10:48 AM
badcooky
Banned
Received 473 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Red
Knock sensors are not controlling the spark knock on some M8s. I can get mine to knock from off idle to almost redline! Just grab some throttle. My Limited gets real loud at 60mph in 4th or 5th gear when I grab more throttle.

I'm tired of letting the dealer and Harley screw with mine looking for the cause. Every time they touch it they muck something else up. If it comes unglued it's under warranty. I won't lose any sleep over it.
Irregardless the bike in the video was not pinging !

Old 12-17-2017, 11:33 AM
hollandhunter
Road Captain
Smile

Originally Posted by 2black1s
If you only hear the sound when rolling on the throttle, that to me is a pretty good indicator that what you're hearing is pinging.

If you are concerned with warranty research the SE Tuner. It will not void your warranty and it may be able to tune away the ping with ignition timing changes. I'm just not sure of the ignition timing adjustment limits of the SE Tuner... That's why I suggest you research it before just jumping in.
Yea if it was something loose why is it only do it when you roll on the throttle mostly in the high gears? Like i said i dont know what it is but its not normal. My front master cylinder cover leaks too. It leaked when i first got it so i took it apart when i done my apes and reset the gasket and retourqed the screws and it seemed to fix it. But its leaking again. An im sure if i tell the dealer about it they will blame it on the apes. Whats funny is all these threads on warrenty and here i am worried about warrenty but in my case the dealer cant fix my bike anyway so what the hell does it matter. Very fristrating to get on a brand new bike and it sounds like a jar of marbles when you twist the throttle. An messing with leaking dot 4. I will have to try and find a new cover and gasket for the front brake master cylinder. An i guess i will ride the bike with the noise because the dealer hasnt done it any justice. An hope if it blows it will blow under warrenty and hopefully it blows bad enough i can get a whole new engine. Then i will have a whole new batch of problems im sure. I would almost trade the dang thing just to get rid of the noise thats driving me crazy but i dont want the next guy to have to fool with it and hell i might get one that migrates and or sumps. Who knows its a crap shoot. On a positive note my new tundra purrs like a kitten.

Old 12-17-2017, 11:39 AM
hollandhunter
Road Captain

Still blows my mind that one tech at the dealer said it wasnt normal and they had fixed it and another tech said it was normal and not to worry about it. Makes me wonder if they even listened to it. Sure didnt fix it.

Old 09-24-2018, 12:09 AM
Skayy
Advanced
Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by hollandhunter
Well i got a update on my bike. I finally got it to the dealership. One tech said they fixed it with a new ecm flash from the moco. An another tech said it was pretty normal for m8s to ping and that it would prolly continue to ping. I road it last nite and it maybe a little better but still there after they dropped it back off. I really dont know what to do now. On a good note it is documented now. Was going to order some stage 1 parts for xmas depending the out come of this but looks like i still gotta hold off. Im keeping my warrenty intack untill this is fixed.
Hello Hollandhunter :-)

I´m from Germany and have the same pinging / spark knock when accelerating. Because this post is a little bit older i like to ask if you have found the reason of the pinging or have fixed it by your dealer?

Thanks very much, Kai

Old 09-24-2018, 09:44 PM
judgedelta
Road Master
Received 227 Likes on 162 Posts

I called my dealer and he said: "They all do that".

Old 09-25-2018, 01:12 AM
Skayy
Advanced
Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by judgedelta
I called my dealer and he said: "They all do that".
Does he means "they all crap" ? ;-)

Than they should fix all these crap bikes.

Tried some M8 Bikes. They "do not all that..."

Skayy