Noise?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 11:02 AM
Red
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 901 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by hollandhunter
i do not have one on this bike. However the sound isnt far off from that as you can hear in the video.
Run your tank low then put some 87 octane in it. See if it gets louder.

My '17 Limited pings almost anytime I grab some throttle.

Dealer has tried to figure it out a couple times. Last time they used the Street tuner and tuned it on the dyno. No help for performance and no decline in the ping, spark knock, preignition, detonation or whatever you want to call it. Tuner and dyno time was on dealers dime! Harley doesn't have the answer either.

Old 12-07-2017, 03:57 PM
hollandhunter
Road Captain
Received 127 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Red
Run your tank low then put some 87 octane in it. See if it gets louder.

My '17 Limited pings almost anytime I grab some throttle.

Dealer has tried to figure it out a couple times. Last time they used the Street tuner and tuned it on the dyno. No help for performance and no decline in the ping, spark knock, preignition, detonation or whatever you want to call it. Tuner and dyno time was on dealers dime! Harley doesn't have the answer either.
Well that just sucks donkey.

Old 12-07-2017, 10:08 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,837 Likes on 1,597 Posts

I have not. Going to let dealer look at it when time allows. I cant beleive nobody can hear the tinky noise in this video between 5 to 10 sec in. Sure hope its normal. But with my luck im sure its not...
That sounds a little bit like intake reversion to me. Typical if you're running a high flow or exposed element intake but can happen with the OEM filter if you're on the engine pretty good.

Last edited by lp; 12-07-2017 at 10:09 PM.
Old 12-14-2017, 09:56 AM
hollandhunter
Road Captain

Well i got a update on my bike. I finally got it to the dealership. One tech said they fixed it with a new ecm flash from the moco. An another tech said it was pretty normal for m8s to ping and that it would prolly continue to ping. I road it last nite and it maybe a little better but still there after they dropped it back off. I really dont know what to do now. On a good note it is documented now. Was going to order some stage 1 parts for xmas depending the out come of this but looks like i still gotta hold off. Im keeping my warrenty intack untill this is fixed.

Last edited by hollandhunter; 12-14-2017 at 10:00 AM.
Old 12-14-2017, 01:39 PM
Michaelpost
Advanced
Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

It’s not “normal” for anything to ping unless you’re running the wrong octane gas, or your timing is out of wack. That’s bullshit.
In case I missed it, did you check the crossover pipe? The clamp doesn’t hold it tight and it rattles.

Old 12-16-2017, 11:49 AM
Newfie
Cruiser
Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

I hear the tink, I concur with badcooky that it's not the pinging from pre-ignition. Sounds like somethings lose.

Old 12-16-2017, 03:01 PM
Dan D.
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,718 Likes on 890 Posts

It's your seat screw.

Old 12-16-2017, 03:14 PM
hollandhunter
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Dan D.
It's your seat screw.
I will check it but i have my douts. Sure would make my freakin day if it was something that simple. If for some reason you are right i will buy you a ham for xmas and ship it too you free of charge and i dont care if you live in south africa. Ha this thing has drove me nutty.

Last edited by hollandhunter; 12-16-2017 at 03:17 PM.
Old 12-16-2017, 07:44 PM
badcooky
Banned
Received 473 Likes on 370 Posts

I will check it but i have my douts. Sure would make my freakin day if it was something that simple. If for some reason you are right i will buy you a ham for xmas and ship it too you free of charge and i dont care if you live in south africa. Ha this thing has drove me nutty.
Mate the sound in the clip is not ping , it's something else notice those guys didn't care at all , there's a zillion fastened bits on these things that can set up harmonics.
These bikes also have knock sensors that are set up rather conservatively so it won't be pinging , also at the point it makes that noise the revs are past where they're under a big load , it's revving out high in the rev range and that's where stuff gets a rattling.
Is the Holland thing about H@H the gunsmiths ?

Last edited by badcooky; 12-16-2017 at 07:46 PM.
Old 12-16-2017, 08:33 PM
Red
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 901 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by badcooky
These bikes also have knock sensors that are set up rather conservatively so it won't be pinging , also at the point it makes that noise the revs are past where they're under a big load , it's revving out high in the rev range and that's where stuff gets a rattling.
Knock sensors are not controlling the spark knock on some M8s. I can get mine to knock from off idle to almost redline! Just grab some throttle. My Limited gets real loud at 60mph in 4th or 5th gear when I grab more throttle.

I'm tired of letting the dealer and Harley screw with mine looking for the cause. Every time they touch it they muck something else up. If it comes unglued it's under warranty. I won't lose any sleep over it.

Quick Reply: Noise?