Sponsored by:

REAL "warranty denied" instances

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 10:26 AM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,526 Likes on 1,089 Posts
Default REAL "warranty denied" instances

I'm sure this has been asked or discussed, but couldn't find it.

I want to know who has documented cases where warranty work was denied specifically for reason of use of non CARB or EPA approved tuners and or aftermarket parts like slip ons, cams and the like.

Please, lets stay on topic and no debate here of what the warranty or consent decree says, I just want to hear from ppl who have actually had a dealer deny them warranty coverage.

Thanks.

Old 11-29-2017, 10:48 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,212 Likes on 4,412 Posts

There have a been a few posts on this forum from people kicked to the curb by the MoCo on a warranty repair due to a non-EPA tuner and a few on another forum I read... it does happen...!

I'm sure at least one such person will post up here....

Old 11-29-2017, 11:07 AM
Roadie13
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 1,192 Likes on 562 Posts

I have personal knowledge of a bike at my dealership that was voided. Owner did a stage 3 with power vision and had sumping issues before the memo was released on a very early 17 SG. Dealer submitted to moco and power train warranty was voided instantly.

Owner was furious as dealer had told them the aftermarket tuner wouldn’t be a show stopper. Dealer rebuilt engine out of pocket. No cost to customer and no paperwork to moco after initial denial.

Old 11-29-2017, 11:13 AM
SWThomas
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,096 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by Roadie13
I have personal knowledge of a bike at my dealership that was voided. Owner did a stage 3 with power vision and had sumping issues before the memo was released on a very early 17 SG. Dealer submitted to moco and power train warranty was voided instantly.

Owner was furious as dealer had told them the aftermarket tuner wouldn €™t be a show stopper. Dealer rebuilt engine out of pocket. No cost to customer and no paperwork to moco after initial denial.
That was good of them to honor the original deal. Because I know if it was me, and they wouldn't honor it, I would make it my personal mission to ruin them. And in a military town, I could drop their sales at least 20% with one email.

The following 2 users liked this post by SWThomas:
roadpop (11-30-2017), TwiZted Biker (11-29-2017)
Old 11-29-2017, 11:25 AM
Roadie13
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 1,192 Likes on 562 Posts

Originally Posted by SWThomas
That was good of them to honor the original deal. Because I know if it was me, and they wouldn't honor it, I would make it my personal mission to ruin them. And in a military town, I could drop their sales at least 20% with one email.
The part of the story I haven’t heard yet is what made the dealer think the moco wasn’t serious about the tuner voiding warranties. They either didn’t know somehow or just didn’t take it seriously I guess. If the bike has future issues locally they will be fine, but run into problems on a road trip and SOL.

Old 11-29-2017, 03:53 PM
dwagar
Road Master
Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

There is someone on here that lost his warranty over an FP3.

I was talking to the owner of the indy shop that does a lot of my work, they are authorized to do HD warranty, he had a warranty claim, the HD factory rep came in, saw the customer had used a Power Commander on it and said no warranty.

I'm quite interested to see if anyone has actually had warranty refused over exhaust.

Old 11-29-2017, 04:29 PM
RCS
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by dwagar
I'm quite interested to see if anyone has actually had warranty refused over exhaust.
Me too

Old 11-29-2017, 04:40 PM
Stroked16
Cruiser
Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts

I know that when my SE street cannon tips turned purple, dealer sent pictures of just the purple tips to MoCo. A week later, dealer was instructed to send MoCo photos of the intake, full exhaust and tips to ensure I hadn't changed them. Fortunately everything on my bike is under factory warranty thus far.

I was not denied warranty, but the MoCo definitely wanted a small degree of proof I hadn't changed anything and that was just for exhaust tips. I'm sure a real warranty claim would require more proof.

Last edited by Stroked16; 11-29-2017 at 04:41 PM.
The following users liked this post:
G'day (11-30-2017)
Old 11-29-2017, 05:40 PM
Roadrunner54
Intermediate
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

My warranty was flagged because I had a trailer hitch on. I was at Bikes, Blues, and Barbecue when oil light issue. Called a wrecker to haul it to the local Dealer. Harley rep was there and say the hitch and now I no longer have a power train warranty.

The following users liked this post:
GFVIII (12-03-2017)
Old 11-29-2017, 05:46 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,602 Likes on 2,725 Posts

Originally Posted by Roadrunner54
My warranty was flagged because I had a trailer hitch on. I was at Bikes, Blues, and Barbecue when oil light issue. Called a wrecker to haul it to the local Dealer. Harley rep was there and say the hitch and now I no longer have a power train warranty.
This is not new, and unrelated to the new more restrictive power train warranty policies as of the 2017 models, which is the basis of the thread.

Quick Reply: REAL "warranty denied" instances