Sponsored by:

REAL "warranty denied" instances

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 06:13 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,837 Likes on 1,597 Posts

Originally Posted by Teufelhunden
I would beg to differ. It states (paraphrasing) that if the installed part did not cause the failure, the warranty must be honored.

As an example, if a bike had aftermarket slipons installed, and had a valve guide failure. There is no way in hell that the slipons cause a valve guide to fail, therefore the warranty is to be intact, FOR THAT REPAIR.

YMMV

Lon
Mag-Moss does not cover parts that are designed to operate outside the parameters of the OEM part.

Its specifically written for OEM replacement parts and service. Brake shoes, oil, alternators, autozone stuff, not performance exhaust or tuners.

Last edited by lp; 11-30-2017 at 06:15 AM.
The following users liked this post:
cmashark (08-05-2018)
Old 11-30-2017, 06:29 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
Mag-Moss does not cover parts that are designed to operate outside the parameters of the OEM part.

Its specifically written for OEM replacement parts and service. Brake shoes, oil, alternators, autozone stuff, not performance exhaust or tuners.
This is true as far ai know. MM was put into place to keep manufacturers from forcing customers to use the dealer service departments and only ONE parts. It allows us consumers to replaced parts that are similar in design and function as three original, and to use oils that are rated like the originals. It has nothing to do with aftermarket performance parts. HD's warranty states that the warranty can be voidedfor the use of non approved parts.

Old 11-30-2017, 06:42 AM
mazz
Road Master
Received 194 Likes on 117 Posts

help me keep track 53 posts and how many warranties voided either we cant read or no warranty problems ?

The following 2 users liked this post by mazz:
DamifIknow (08-07-2018), Eccool (11-30-2017)
Old 11-30-2017, 06:52 AM
jgos929
Road Warrior
Received 219 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by mazz
help me keep track 53 posts and how many warranties voided either we cant read or no warranty problems ?
As usual this thread has done gone off the rails

GPHDXLC (11-30-2017)
Old 11-30-2017, 06:53 AM
<G Man>
Cruiser
Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Teufelhunden
I would beg to differ. It states (paraphrasing) that if the installed part did not cause the failure, the warranty must be honored.

As an example, if a bike had aftermarket slipons installed, and had a valve guide failure. There is no way in hell that the slipons cause a valve guide to fail, therefore the warranty is to be intact, FOR THAT REPAIR.

YMMV

Lon

Please show me where it says that.
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/15/chapter-50

The Magnuson-Moss Act was enacted to assure that warranty information is made available on consumer products and that the information is clear. It does not require any manufacturer to provide a warranty or determine what warranties should cover.

The only portion of the Act that has been construed to provide some sort of "protection" to a consumer is this statement:

15 U.S. Code § 2302 - Rules governing contents of warranties

(c) Prohibition on conditions for written or implied warranty; waiver by CommissionNo warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumer’s using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade, or corporate name; except that the prohibition of this subsection may be waived by the Commission if—
(1) the <a title="warrantor" class="colorbox-load definedterm init-colorbox-load-processed cboxElement" href="https://www.law.cornell.edu/definitions/uscode.php?width=840&height=800&iframe=true&def_id =15-USC-1631904320-826470511&term_occur=11&term_src=title:15:chapter: 50:section:2302">warrantor satisfies the Commission that the warranted product will function properly only if the article or service so identified is used in connection with the warranted product, and
(2) the <a title="Commission" class="colorbox-load definedterm init-colorbox-load-processed cboxElement" href="https://www.law.cornell.edu/definitions/uscode.php?width=840&height=800&iframe=true&def_id =15-USC-1283237621-826470514&term_occur=9&term_src=title:15:chapter:5 0:section:2302">Commission finds that such a waiver is in the public interest.
The Commission shall identify in the Federal Register, and permit public comment on, all applications for waiver of the prohibition of this subsection, and shall publish in the Federal Register its disposition of any such application, including the reasons therefor.
Basically, that says that the manufacturer can't require you to use their "stuff" to maintain or repair the product in order to keep the warranty in tact, but it does allow a manufacturer to do this if they can show that the particular "stuff" is actually required to properly do the maintenance or repair.

Repairs and upgrades are 2 different things. The manufacturer is still allowed to stipulate the terms of a limited warranty, so long as they let you know up front. Harley Davidson warranties DO let you know up front that improper use, lack of maintenance, off-road use, race use, competition use, etc. etc. may VOID your warranty.
http://www.redwoodharley.com/learn-m...ty-information

They also let you know when you buy parts and accessories from them that using them on your bike may VOID your warranty.
https://www.harley-davidson.com/en_U...A-Warranty.pdf

By providing this information up front, Harley Davidson is complying with the Act. If you think the Magnuson-Moss Act somehow protects you on a warranted product that you have modified improperly (according to the manufacturer's definition of improper) then I would like to have that section of the law pointed out to me.

Eccool (11-30-2017)
Old 11-30-2017, 06:57 AM
<G Man>
Cruiser
Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by mazz
Originally Posted by jgos929
As usual this thread has done gone off the rails

Free country, read a different thread. Threads drift.

It does make the point though that there really aren't any (or at least many) real stories to tell compared to the doom and gloom and all of the pure BS that folks like to spread about topics like this.

Even a negative result is a result.

Eccool (11-30-2017)
Old 11-30-2017, 08:11 AM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,526 Likes on 1,089 Posts

Thanks guys for adhering to my request for keeping this threat ONLY for ppl that have had denied warranty claims.....

I think I'll start another one and make it a poll!

VernDiesel (02-04-2023)
Old 11-30-2017, 09:16 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,837 Likes on 1,597 Posts

Originally Posted by teedoff65
Thanks guys for adhering to my request for keeping this threat ONLY for ppl that have had denied warranty claims.....

I think I'll start another one and make it a poll!
Good luck with that.

jgos929 (11-30-2017)
Old 11-30-2017, 09:30 AM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,526 Likes on 1,089 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
Good luck with that.
Yeah I should have known better than to think this thread wouldn't turn into yet another debate. Just as about 50 other threads have.

The following 2 users liked this post by teedoff65:
lp (11-30-2017), metalb00 (12-01-2017)
Old 11-30-2017, 11:32 AM
jgos929
Road Warrior
Received 219 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by <G Man>
Free country, read a different thread. Threads drift.

Go jerk off

perki48 (11-30-2017)

Quick Reply: REAL "warranty denied" instances