Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 08:33 PM
Timberwolf2017
Road Captain
Received 273 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by lyork
Wow, just wow.
I need to dump my M8 and get a nice 2016

Exactly what I may do, there are still some left out there, but I doubt I would get anything for the M8, given the current debacle.

Old 11-29-2017, 08:49 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 912 Likes on 662 Posts

All this said, I didn't buy the bike for the warranty, and as a bike I'm very happy with it even considering the compliance requirements. Warrantees have been voided many times before the M8 so there's no guarantees. If the motor goes south after the ESP I'll be knocking on Steve Cole's door with my money jar and we'll dig into it and have some fun hopefully.

Last edited by Thingfish; 11-29-2017 at 08:50 PM.
Old 11-29-2017, 08:49 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,988 Likes on 17,898 Posts

Originally Posted by Thingfish
They built the motor to a non warranty supported stage V, put short shots on it, then put in quiet baffles, never retuned it, drag raced it without any break in or oil service...basically beat the crap out of it. Bragged about it all over a few forums...then when it blew up (rings and pistons shot) they wanted warranty coverage. They deleted as many posts as possible to erase their tracks, but it was too late. They've been bitching about it ever since, but never tell the whole story.
Ok that's the back story I didn't hear, figures.

Old 11-29-2017, 08:51 PM
purpledeuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 642 Likes on 377 Posts

For me I'm keeping my M8 forever, I'm going to drop some coin now to upgrade the motor using aftermarket options (I'm waiting for fueling to release their oil pump). It's gonna sting but I feel I'll have a better motor with much better quality control. What good is a harley warranty if they replace the broken parts with the same inferior parts that caused the problem from the beginning. And don't forget - the warranty will eventually run out

Old 11-29-2017, 08:59 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Ok that's the back story I didn't hear, figures.
Yeah, they got some decent advice here for the most part and mostly no one gave too much grief about the mistakes, but it got old in the end when they kept bitching about the Moco but wouldn't own up to their own shenanigans. Haven't seen her much after the sympathy cart ran dry. The drag race stories were entertaining. Hopefully she's busy enjoying her fixed bike.

Old 11-29-2017, 09:14 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,988 Likes on 17,898 Posts

Originally Posted by purpledeuce
For me I'm keeping my M8 forever, I'm going to drop some coin now to upgrade the motor using aftermarket options (I'm waiting for fueling to release their oil pump). It's gonna sting but I feel I'll have a better motor with much better quality control. What good is a harley warranty if they replace the broken parts with the same inferior parts that caused the problem from the beginning. And don't forget - the warranty will eventually run out
Where I'm at with mine, I may do an ESP for a few years extra because of the type riding I'm mostly doing, urban commuting, to cover the common crap like comp's, rotors and primary issues because of all the clutching & shifting and happy hand she's getting. May get a chance to do a road trip this coming summer I hope if the damned job ever let's up.

The following users liked this post:
purpledeuce (11-29-2017)
Old 11-29-2017, 09:22 PM
purpledeuce
Elite HDF Member

Where I'm at with mine, I may do an ESP for a few years extra because of the type riding I'm mostly doing, urban commuting, to cover the common crap like comp's, rotors and primary issues because of all the clutching & shifting and happy hand she's getting. May get a chance to do a road trip this coming summer I hope if the damned job ever let's up.
That pesky thing called work gets in my way too

The following users liked this post:
metalb00 (11-30-2017)
Old 11-29-2017, 09:23 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member

Yup, my happy hand has seldom been happier...

Old 11-29-2017, 09:23 PM
Teufelhunden
Road Captain
Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by lh4x4
The decree also voids during its life the Magnuson-Moss provision that the part must be responsible for a failure.

It is not that H-D is gleeful to deny claims it is in no position to do anything..
To the point of voiding Magnuson-Moss. THAT, if I am not mistaken was a law duly passed by congress and signed by the president. I think that if anyone were to challenge it in court, they would prevail. That being said, who's got that kinda money? I think that is what they are counting on.

To the second point, don't kid yourself....You think Harley didn't know what they were doing when they negotiated into the deal that the EPA would "require" them to do it when Harley voided your warranty for a NON-HARLEY part?????? PUHLEEEEZZEEE

YMMV

Lon

Old 11-29-2017, 09:25 PM
purpledeuce
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Thingfish
Yup, my happy hand has seldom been happier...
But how is your vision? lol

The following 4 users liked this post by purpledeuce:
Geary Thomas (03-12-2018), roadkinglobo (12-01-2017), TwiZted Biker (11-29-2017), Yamaharley (06-26-2018)

Quick Reply: REAL "warranty denied" instances