Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

REAL "warranty denied" instances

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 11:44 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,991 Likes on 1,693 Posts

Damn, that's awesome. You're right, we need a handful for every service department.

Old 08-06-2018, 11:22 AM
Heatwave
Received 1,079 Likes on 639 Posts

Originally Posted by biohazmat
I just bought a 2018 Ultra Limited and the dealer told me that the S&S MK45 slip-ons will not void the warranty.
You're good to go, so long as you use the HD SE Pro Street Tuner if you plan to tune the engine to the MK45s..

Old 08-06-2018, 12:38 PM
army_eod
Road Warrior
Received 594 Likes on 292 Posts

What does voiding a warranty have to do with EPA compliance?
Once voided, it ain't as if the owner is going to go make the bike compliant again and reduce pollution.
Stupid on the gummint and hd.

Old 08-06-2018, 08:57 PM
cmashark
Road Warrior

Received 209 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by army_eod
What does voiding a warranty have to do with EPA compliance?
Once voided, it ain't as if the owner is going to go make the bike compliant again and reduce pollution.
Stupid on the gummint and hd.
Money/having to pay for repairs will scare some into using only H-D “blessed” parts and remaining compliant.

Old 08-09-2018, 10:34 AM
wengerda
Cruiser
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I am in the same sheet of music like you, the dealer installed the Power Vision without telling me that I will lose my warranty. Now I have a 2017 with a flag on my powertrain. After calling MOC, I was told by them that they understand that the dealer should know better but they will not un-flagged my vin even though the bike now is in compliance with the removal of the Power Vision and installation of the Harley tuner.

Old 08-09-2018, 10:37 AM
wengerda
Cruiser
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
I know of a few (as in more than a couple) HD dealers that have found out that many of the '17 and later bikes they sold have the powertrain warranty voided. Now mind you none of these bikes have ever come in for service or a failure of any kind! What was found out is that the MoCo is logging into the dealers records through the Talen system they use. If they find a non EPA approved part being sold to the owner of the bike the MoCo is flagging/voiding the powertrain warranty.

So if you think that the MoCo isn't serious about getting out of the warranty now, you are sadly mistaken!
You are correct, my was flagged by MOCO using the Talent system.

Old 08-09-2018, 10:41 AM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,991 Likes on 1,693 Posts

Originally Posted by wengerda
You are correct, my was flagged by MOCO using the Talent system.
Bingo.

They're doing it, folks. And you don't even find out until it's too late.

Old 02-03-2023, 02:01 PM
Celtic Gypsy
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warranty Denied Instances

I can relate to your pain!! In 2018 I purchased a close friends 2016 Road King CVO with 18,000 miles. He had a transferable HD extended service warranty. I was picking the bike up from his Dealer who had recomemded a stage III Piston upgrade to his SE 110ci. I was getting a new motor upgrade and had to break in accordingly, with 3 years left on the HD Warranty. I rode it for 16 months and during a particularly hot day and 150 miles, during the HD Iron Adventure Rally in Vermont, I began to hear a very faint intermintent knock. I thought the bike may be over heating so i stopped and sure enough it was gone. 2 weeks later I was riding and heard a metalic sound in the top end. I was close to home so I stopped and trailered it to my dealer. No worries I thought, I have an Extended service warranty. When the dealer pulled up the bike in the computer, I had the warranty alright and a stage III kit with racing pistons, which were recomended by another dealer, which voided the warranty. I f a part has a checkered flage next to it, it will void the warranty.

The only technicians that ever touched the bike were HD technicians since the day it was new, The only changes my buddy ever did were recomended by a HD Dealership. He could not believe it when I told him. He had no idea the modifications would void the expensive warranty and offered to testify for me if I took to small claims court. I payed to have the bike repaired, used the same pistons with the upgraded top end to match the increased power. ....But wait it gets better,,,

I went to Daytona Bike week in 2020 and decided to trade it for a new bike. The big Dealer there gave me an offer I couldn't refuse including a fair deal on the 7 year extended service warranty which had the dealerships name all over it. I brought the bike home by trailer so not to void the break in needs and read the Extended service waranty and fine print where it clearly stated that any modifications to the stock motorcycle would void the warranty. I called the ES warranty phone number thinking it was the HD Extended service warranty and it was not. The dealership had their own ES company. I asked them if I had the dealership install any upgrade Screaming eagle parts to the bike would that void the warranty. They said yes it would void the warranty. I documented who I talked to and call the Dealer where they said it was not true. Well I learned my lesson, I canceled the waranty and got 100% of my money back and purchased the HD ES warranty for 7 years with the screaming eagle upgrade coverage and wheel an tire. It was worth every penny and I have used both, since I ride a Harley Davidson a lot of miles, 40,000 miles in 2 years, and now I'm ahead of the game but I understand the can do and can't do's!

Old 02-06-2023, 09:02 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 387 Likes on 231 Posts

Does this count?

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/audio...-hates-me.html

The stereo on my 2018 CVO Limited started acting wonky last Aug. At first it would cut off and on like a razor blade (either on or off, no static). Sometimes it would work fine for several hours and sometimes only for a few minutes. It might stay silent for a few minutes or a few hours. Bumps on the road had no effect either on or off. It did not matter what source I chose. If I used my Bluetooth headphones then everything was great from all sources. Now it so bad that every time I get above about 30 the stereo cuts out and then only comes back if i sit a red light for a few minutes. As a side note that may or may not be related, last Sept the bike started charging at 16+ volts continuously and they ended up replacing the regulator. Could this have effected something else?

My EX dealer (fro whom I had purchased my last 3 bikes) fiddled around with it and ran me in circles until it was too late to make a lemon law issue out of it (I should have stayed on top of it better). Finally 2 weeks ago they told me they could not fix it and the I needed to take the bike elsewhere. They actually said that to me! They even went so far as to question whether it was really a warranty issue and told me that they could not replicate the problem! When I told them that if they were not willing to fix my bike I might need to contact a lawyer they literally told me to get off the premises!

Old 02-06-2023, 09:10 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,602 Likes on 2,725 Posts

Originally Posted by PFWiz
Does this count?

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/audio...-hates-me.html

The stereo on my 2018 CVO Limited started acting wonky last Aug. At first it would cut off and on like a razor blade (either on or off, no static). Sometimes it would work fine for several hours and sometimes only for a few minutes. It might stay silent for a few minutes or a few hours. Bumps on the road had no effect either on or off. It did not matter what source I chose. If I used my Bluetooth headphones then everything was great from all sources. Now it so bad that every time I get above about 30 the stereo cuts out and then only comes back if i sit a red light for a few minutes. As a side note that may or may not be related, last Sept the bike started charging at 16+ volts continuously and they ended up replacing the regulator. Could this have effected something else?

My EX dealer (fro whom I had purchased my last 3 bikes) fiddled around with it and ran me in circles until it was too late to make a lemon law issue out of it (I should have stayed on top of it better). Finally 2 weeks ago they told me they could not fix it and the I needed to take the bike elsewhere. They actually said that to me! They even went so far as to question whether it was really a warranty issue and told me that they could not replicate the problem! When I told them that if they were not willing to fix my bike I might need to contact a lawyer they literally told me to get off the premises!
Was the problem identified in the first 12 months of ownership? If not, it wont qualify for as a lemon according to Ohio law.

Also, I could be wromg, but the law applies in cercumstances where you do not have the use of your vehicle.

Last edited by Keithhu; 02-06-2023 at 09:38 AM.

Quick Reply: REAL "warranty denied" instances