Sponsored by:

REAL "warranty denied" instances

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 08:40 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,991 Likes on 1,693 Posts

Originally Posted by Toolmaster
A legal agreement between two parties does not negate established law.
The EPA can not write or pass law. The EPA and HD agreement would not hold any ground if a proper argument with evidence were presented.
There is a point of civil law here that is being ignored, and it is this:

The law only protects as far as the injured party is willing to push it.

So, given that your statement is correct, all we need is some Harley owner who's willing to risk $250,000 in attorney's fees in a protracted Superior Court lawsuit, against a deep-pockets defendant who is willing to fight it.

Last edited by IdahoHacker; 03-02-2018 at 08:58 PM.
Old 03-02-2018, 10:31 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,474 Likes on 1,353 Posts

That is just wrong!

So Harley Davidson is essentially saying that their power-trains are built weak and unreliable !!! ! ! ! !!! !!! ! ! ! !!! !!! ! ! ! !!! !!! ! ! ! !!!
Seems like you're really hung up on the way you think things SHOULD BE, rather than how they ARE.

Read the warranty. It flat-out says right in it -- if there's any evidence the bike has been used for towing, the warranty is voided.

Hell, here's a thread from nine years ago that talks about trailer hitches voiding warranties. This isn't news.

Old 03-02-2018, 10:32 PM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts

I got the powertrain void.

Old 03-02-2018, 11:04 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member

A legal agreement between two parties does not negate established law.
The EPA can not write or pass law. The EPA and HD agreement would not hold any ground if a proper argument with evidence were presented.
You seem very adamant in your opinions, posting them in multiple threads, etc. Please be aware -- this is not new ground. We've been over this many times.
There are two things in this: first, yes, a judge has ordered in the decree that Harley MUST void powertrain warranties if they or their have ANY knowledge that a non-EPA-compliant tuner was used to tune the bike. That is the way things are. That is what Harley is ordered to do, and that is what they will do. If you don't like it, you're free to file suit and see if you can get the EPA's consent decree overturned. But until then, your warranty will have been voided and will stay voided, if you use an aftermarket tuner.

Second thing you appear to be missing, when invoking Magnuson Moss: When you use an aftermarket/non-EPA-compliant tuner, you take the bike into a state of noncompliance with federal regulations. You make it illegal to operate on the roadways. Harley will not warranty any bike that has been taken into an illegal configuration, and there is nothing anywhere in Magnuson Moss that says they have to. Magnuson Moss covers things like if you use Amsoil oil instead of Harley-Davidson Syn3 oil, or if you use a K&N filter instead of a Harley filter. Magnuson Moss does NOT protect you if you take your bike into an illegal-to-operate-on-public-roadways condition.

The following users liked this post:
jd05flhtci (03-03-2018)
Old 03-03-2018, 03:54 PM
lightweight bob
Road Master
Received 151 Likes on 101 Posts
Default Yep - you are correct

Originally Posted by FatBob2018
You seem very adamant in your opinions, posting them in multiple threads, etc. Please be aware -- this is not new ground. We've been over this many times.
There are two things in this: first, yes, a judge has ordered in the decree that Harley MUST void powertrain warranties if they or their have ANY knowledge that a non-EPA-compliant tuner was used to tune the bike. That is the way things are. That is what Harley is ordered to do, and that is what they will do. If you don't like it, you're free to file suit and see if you can get the EPA's consent decree overturned. But until then, your warranty will have been voided and will stay voided, if you use an aftermarket tuner.

Second thing you appear to be missing, when invoking Magnuson Moss: When you use an aftermarket/non-EPA-compliant tuner, you take the bike into a state of noncompliance with federal regulations. You make it illegal to operate on the roadways. Harley will not warranty any bike that has been taken into an illegal configuration, and there is nothing anywhere in Magnuson Moss that says they have to. Magnuson Moss covers things like if you use Amsoil oil instead of Harley-Davidson Syn3 oil, or if you use a K&N filter instead of a Harley filter. Magnuson Moss does NOT protect you if you take your bike into an illegal-to-operate-on-public-roadways condition.
When my 2006 SG ate the inner cam bearings at 31k miles I took it to my Indy shop - an authorized HD extended warranty
facility. Claims adjuster came by, looked my bike over and said the warranty was void because I had a PC III usb tuner on
it. Had an attorney friend give the extended warranty outfit out of AZ a call - no dice, wouldn't budge, go ahead and sue.
That's my real world true story from 8 years ago and so much for Magnuson Moss.

Old 03-03-2018, 04:41 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 131 Posts

Magnuson Moss doesn't apply to extended warranty. Read the fine print when you get the ESP

cmashark (08-05-2018)
Old 03-03-2018, 05:36 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member

When my 2006 SG ate the inner cam bearings at 31k miles I took it to my Indy shop - an authorized HD extended warranty
facility. Claims adjuster came by, looked my bike over and said the warranty was void because I had a PC III usb tuner on
it. Had an attorney friend give the extended warranty outfit out of AZ a call - no dice, wouldn't budge, go ahead and sue.
That's my real world true story from 8 years ago and so much for Magnuson Moss.
Sorry to hear it, but yeah, not surprised, and things are only more strict today.

Even back then, before the whole EPA Consent Decree stuff, Magnuson Moss still wouldn't apply to an aftermarket tuner. M-M is concerned with replacement parts during the factory warranty, not upgraded performance parts under an extended warranty.
I appreciate your story; I'll be in extended warranty land once the factory warranty is up, and it's good to hear from folks who have firsthand experience about what will and won't fly.

Not sure what applicability M-M would have to an extended warranty, because (as Harleytuner said) that's a different contract, between you and a different company. M-M is dealing with manufacturer's warranties on products made available for sale. I know there's confusion regarding ESPs, lots of folks don't seem to understand that it's not Harley issuing the extended warranty, it's a third-party contract, so it seems like M-M wouldn't be involved once the manufacturer's written warranty expires.

Old 06-26-2018, 06:12 PM
frankenheimer
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default denied warranty? Check these links out

FYI,
If your dealership denies the warranty because you installed aftermarket parts check these links out.
Always can write a complaint to the FTC.

http://www.artinmotionllc.net/do-aft...ycle-warranty/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnus...s_Warranty_Act
https://www.sema.org/sema-enews/2011...ermarket-parts

Cheers,
frankenheimer

Old 06-26-2018, 07:23 PM
LXT
Road Master
Received 567 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
I thought so to but it is indeed happening.

Denial of Warranty.
a. Defendants shall deny all warranty claims for functional defects of
powertrain components for any Harley-Davidson vehicle (Model Year
2017 or later) registered in the United States, if any Defendants have any
information
to show that such vehicle was tuned using a Tuning Product
that was not covered by a California ARB Executive Order or otherwise
approved by EPA.
b. Defendants shall instruct Harley-Davidson dealers to deny such warranty
claims where any Defendant or any Harley-Davidson dealer has any such
information.

It doesn't say they have to prove it, it just states that they have any information, and that is just what they are doing by looking at the information they are getting off the dealers systems. While I would believe if someone wanted to spend the money to fight them in court you could/should win, who's going to do it?

The Talen system covers all sales at the HD dealerships who use it. There is a competing system and I know of dealerships who are now dumping the HD Talen system for this very reason!
they have to have information " TO SHOW" such vehicle was tuned using a product not approved. You actually provided the section of the decree I was hoping would be presented on another thread after I asked for some one to specifically post it.

the decree has a lot of counter productive language - it states 2017 or later model but then states any model whom a dealer knows has a non EPA compliant tuner shall have that info sent to the EPA for ensuring that they - the MoCo are compliant in their settlement statement. just a thought here - So what if my Non EPA approved tuner is on my bike & the bike is tested in such a manner that it is found the emission result is within the EPA`s mandate for emission exhaust gas release? Am I in violation just because I can tune the bike? Has anyone actually performed an emission test? Im wondering if this is more of a "control" the consumer issue by the MoCo by removing their ability to work on or adjust settings on their own bike?

Why then doesn't the MoCo just have a set it & forget it software? I mean if they are that hell bent on this & voiding warranties then make it tamper proof - the small engine world has basically gone this route by having non adjustable carburetors or a auto tune specific program for each make & model, its sad at my shop I see so much disposable junk that the day of rebuilding is basically over - its a buy new & assemble it world. landfills overflowing with cheap disposable junk but as long as the air is clean - to hell with the ground huh?

Old 06-26-2018, 08:05 PM
ronaldrwl
Road Warrior
Received 342 Likes on 229 Posts

Just read every post and not much to report on voided warranties on 2017's & 2018's

6113_ (06-27-2018)

Quick Reply: REAL "warranty denied" instances