Sponsored by:

REAL "warranty denied" instances

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2017, 12:13 PM
EdsRoadGlide2017
Tourer
Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Roadie13
I have personal knowledge of a bike at my dealership that was voided. Owner did a stage 3 with power vision and had sumping issues before the memo was released on a very early 17 SG. Dealer submitted to moco and power train warranty was voided instantly.

Owner was furious as dealer had told them the aftermarket tuner wouldn’t be a show stopper. Dealer rebuilt engine out of pocket. No cost to customer and no paperwork to moco after initial denial.
WOW, that's a damn good dealer!! I doubt that we have any like that down my way.

Old 12-09-2017, 12:37 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,991 Likes on 1,693 Posts

Originally Posted by EdsStreetGlide2010
WOW, that's a damn good dealer!! I doubt that we have any like that down my way.
That's what ours will do.

They refuse to give any straight answers about warranty coverage at all. They will do anything you want, including cat-free exhausts and any kind of aftermarket parts you want, and then tune it using a TTS or PV tuner, and all they'll say is: "Don't worry, we'll take care of you."

They don't want to lose the upgrade business.

Old 12-09-2017, 01:45 PM
jd05flhtci
Road Warrior
Received 311 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker

They refuse to give any straight answers about warranty coverage at all. They will do anything you want, including cat-free exhausts and any kind of aftermarket parts you want, and then tune it using a TTS or PV tuner, and all they'll say is: "Don't worry, we'll take care of you."

Yeah we have a few dealers in my area that will do that and when there is a issue they dont stand behind their word and put the blame on MOCO. They made there up sale so they are done

Old 12-11-2017, 08:33 AM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
I know of a few (as in more than a couple) HD dealers that have found out that many of the '17 and later bikes they sold have the powertrain warranty voided. Now mind you none of these bikes have ever come in for service or a failure of any kind! What was found out is that the MoCo is logging into the dealers records through the Talen system they use. If they find a non EPA approved part being sold to the owner of the bike the MoCo is flagging/voiding the powertrain warranty.

So if you think that the MoCo isn't serious about getting out of the warranty now, you are sadly mistaken!
God, I did not see that one coming!

Old 12-11-2017, 08:41 AM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

There is a guy down in Oklahoma somewhere who posts here under the road name of PSYCHODAD who claims his new Road King was flagged by the MOCO because of aftermarket parts such as a tuner. He says he started having issues after the dealer installed his brand-X speed parts. After his warranty was flagged the dealer ended up taking the hickey and rebuilding his engine on their dime.

Old 12-11-2017, 09:46 AM
bradn
Road Master
Received 216 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker

That's the same thing my dealer told me when they did my "not so kosher" stage 2. I'm confident they will stand behind their promise. Although I'm likely screwed if I break down 1000 miles from home, but, oh well.

Old 03-02-2018, 08:09 PM
Toolmaster
Cruiser
Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Roadrunner54
My warranty was flagged because I had a trailer hitch on. I was at Bikes, Blues, and Barbecue when oil light issue. Called a wrecker to haul it to the local Dealer. Harley rep was there and say the hitch and now I no longer have a power train warranty.
That is just wrong!

So Harley Davidson is essentially saying that their power-trains are built weak and unreliable !!! ! ! ! !!! !!! ! ! ! !!! !!! ! ! ! !!! !!! ! ! ! !!!

Old 03-02-2018, 08:16 PM
Toolmaster
Cruiser

I know of a few (as in more than a couple) HD dealers that have found out that many of the '17 and later bikes they sold have the powertrain warranty voided. Now mind you none of these bikes have ever come in for service or a failure of any kind! What was found out is that the MoCo is logging into the dealers records through the Talen system they use. If they find a non EPA approved part being sold to the owner of the bike the MoCo is flagging/voiding the powertrain warranty.

So if you think that the MoCo isn't serious about getting out of the warranty now, you are sadly mistaken!
found out? how?

Old 03-02-2018, 08:22 PM
Toolmaster
Cruiser

Originally Posted by lh4x4
The consent decree that EPA, H-D and the judge signed for the 17 through 20 model years is precise in its requirement that H-D denies any power train warranty if there is non compliant parts on it. The decree also voids during its life the Magnuson-Moss provision that the part must be responsible for a failure.

If EPA sees one example where the decree was not followed there would be severe penalties placed on H-D.

It is not that H-D is gleeful to deny claims it is in no position to do anything. The dealer has some room if they want to eat the costs of repair themselves.
A legal agreement between two parties does not negate established law.
The EPA can not write or pass law. The EPA and HD agreement would not hold any ground if a proper argument with evidence were presented.

Old 03-02-2018, 08:28 PM
Toolmaster
Cruiser

I thought so to but it is indeed happening.

Denial of Warranty.
a. Defendants shall deny all warranty claims for functional defects of
powertrain components for any Harley-Davidson vehicle (Model Year
2017 or later) registered in the United States, if any Defendants have any
information
to show that such vehicle was tuned using a Tuning Product
that was not covered by a California ARB Executive Order or otherwise
approved by EPA.
b. Defendants shall instruct Harley-Davidson dealers to deny such warranty
claims where any Defendant or any Harley-Davidson dealer has any such
information.

It doesn't say they have to prove it, it just states that they have any information, and that is just what they are doing by looking at the information they are getting off the dealers systems. While I would believe if someone wanted to spend the money to fight them in court you could/should win, who's going to do it?

The Talen system covers all sales at the HD dealerships who use it. There is a competing system and I know of dealerships who are now dumping the HD Talen system for this very reason!
Well then, the scary thing to consider: Do they know of a part (or parts) within the M8 powertrain that are defective, thus explaining the push to void warranties? And, should we expect failure????????

Quick Reply: REAL "warranty denied" instances