REAL "warranty denied" instances

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 02:13 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 912 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by teedoff65
What was I thinking....
You wanted answers...it was good thought.

The following users liked this post:
GPHDXLC (12-06-2017)
Old 12-05-2017, 04:38 PM
<G Man>
Cruiser
Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by teedoff65
Well it was my attempt at collecting real non corrupted data so ppl and myself could actually see instances without having to parse through 400 reply long post after post in order to extrapolate the data. AND not having to also glean through a lot of speculation as to what will be denied or what constitutes a denial.

Also, I did start a poll.....I think it got lost AND sidetracked as well. Not sure you can limit replies to ONLY a poll selection and not allow posters to comment.

What was I thinking....

To be honest, I think you are getting more of an answer here than you might think, considering the number of people on this site and the fact that this thread spends a lot of time on the active list (because of the non-answers) and there are no bona-fide warranty denials to be seen.

Between this and 2 other forum sites (VTF and H-DF) I have not yet seen any actual documented case of outright warranty denial. The closest I've seen are folks saying they have been "warned" or flagged. There are a few who have been told that the warranty is voided, but apparently they have not had to make a claim yet so who really knows?

Anyway, trying to make a thread on this forum into a database is several levels below trying to herd cats in terms of making sense. It just won't happen. But I think that like so many other things, the real deal doesn't live up to the hype.

Heritage07 (12-06-2017)
Old 12-06-2017, 08:54 AM
BTLorys
Stellar HDF Member

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,236 Posts

Originally Posted by <G Man>

Between this and 2 other forum sites (VTF and H-DF) I have not yet seen any actual documented case of outright warranty denial. The closest I've seen are folks saying they have been "warned" or flagged. There are a few who have been told that the warranty is voided, but apparently they have not had to make a claim yet so who really knows?

Anyway, trying to make a thread on this forum into a database is several levels below trying to herd cats in terms of making sense. It just won't happen. But I think that like so many other things, the real deal doesn't live up to the hype.
Didn't really read much of this thread, just browsed quickly... but there is one guy on here I am pretty sure had his warranty outright denied. Had to pay out of pocket for a new engine after his failed and he had a tuner on it. I cant remember his user name off the top of my head, but I think his avatar is a blue 2017 road king.

Agreed about trying to make any sort of data base on this forum being an impossible task. No chance a thread is going to stay "only post here if you have PERSONALLY HAD (X) issue"...that will last about 2.5 posts. Especially on a hot topic like this.

Theres a thread floating around somewhere called something like "Street Glide owners, post only ONCE!" I've never actually opened it, but I am curious to know how that one went. It was pretty long. I thought about posting in there just to throw it off, never did though.

The real question is.... Did I just hijack this thread? Or is this a natural drift...?

Old 12-06-2017, 09:12 AM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 364 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by Thingfish
You wanted answers...it was good thought.
That about sums this up.

Thingfish (12-06-2017)
Old 12-06-2017, 09:45 AM
RET_SCPO
Extreme HDF Member

Received 19,651 Likes on 6,279 Posts

Originally Posted by lyork
Wow, just wow.
I need to dump my M8 and get a nice 2016
I've stayed away from HD over the years because I wanted them to come out with a better motor before I jumped in. Here came the M8 so I jumped in and now I'm having second thoughts after what I've read here. No issues yet but maybe the 103 was the right time to buy. Hopefully the sumping issues are only affecting a small number of bikes and mine will be fine. Seems to me that they know they have a problematic motor and they are looking for every excuse in the book not to have to pay to cover it if it has issues. How they can blame a known issue on a slip on exhaust is ridiculous.

Old 12-06-2017, 10:15 AM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,922 Likes on 3,290 Posts

i think the real issue at hand here is people have no idea what they're actually buying. You want a bike that has no problems then don't buy an HD!! It's a glorified tractor not some masterpiece of engineering marvel.

When I ride my shovel, I wait for my mirror to completely spin around 360 so I can see what's behind me, mostly I'm looking for parts that may have fallen off or someone flashing their lights at me because my kick starter shaft is sticking through their front windshield.

Balanced engines run great, they last a long time because their balanced and engineered to be driven as commuters and have longevity. Harley's antiquated design is purposely engineered into the product because that's what die hard HD owners expect.

Sure, the addition of the stereo, GPS, suspension (slightly better than a 78 AMF), and shiny paint is cool but the fact people are buying a design that went out in the 1940's is somehow lost on them because of the bravado that go's along with owning the bike.

Buy a freaking Honda, they last a long time, inline 3 or 4 cylinder whatever they are... become part of the pack, get a teddybear and strap it to the back and go ride to wherever and do so knowing you have an engine that's designed for longevity. HD is trying to give us the best of both worlds but it's damn near impossible. In 2016 during testing the completely balanced the motor and took out all the vibration, everyone that rode it said it wouldn't sell and more than likely they are right. Look no further than the street 500 and 750's with cobwebs on the dealer floors, they can't give those things away.

You bought a blank slate. The aftermarket is the only answer to keep you from breaking down. If it weren't for S&S HD would have been gone decades ago.
Someone is going to come up with a fix for sumping, the moco will replicate it and claim it as their own. The same day Fueling comes out with the new oil pump for their cam plate I'll order it and install my new cam.
If you want it done right, don't leave it up to the moco. It's a blank slate for the aftermarket, end of story.

Old 12-06-2017, 04:51 PM
skid_pimp
Road Warrior
Received 416 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by RET_SCPO
How they can blame a known issue on a slip on exhaust is ridiculous.
The only reason they would blame slip ons, is if it was in relation to a softail, as the cats are in the mufflers on softail, not the headpipe as found on the touring line. Most if not all aftermarket slip ons are cat less, There for not EPA compliant, hence the voiding of 2017+ warranties. It really isn't all that complicated.

Old 12-06-2017, 07:06 PM
jd05flhtci
Road Warrior
Received 311 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldskewl
i think the real issue at hand here is people have no idea what they're actually buying. You want a bike that has no problems then don't buy an HD!! It's a glorified tractor not some masterpiece of engineering marvel.

When I ride my shovel, I wait for my mirror to completely spin around 360 so I can see what's behind me, mostly I'm looking for parts that may have fallen off or someone flashing their lights at me because my kick starter shaft is sticking through their front windshield.

Balanced engines run great, they last a long time because their balanced and engineered to be driven as commuters and have longevity. Harley's antiquated design is purposely engineered into the product because that's what die hard HD owners expect.

Sure, the addition of the stereo, GPS, suspension (slightly better than a 78 AMF), and shiny paint is cool but the fact people are buying a design that went out in the 1940's is somehow lost on them because of the bravado that go's along with owning the bike.

Buy a freaking Honda, they last a long time, inline 3 or 4 cylinder whatever they are... become part of the pack, get a teddybear and strap it to the back and go ride to wherever and do so knowing you have an engine that's designed for longevity. HD is trying to give us the best of both worlds but it's damn near impossible. In 2016 during testing the completely balanced the motor and took out all the vibration, everyone that rode it said it wouldn't sell and more than likely they are right. Look no further than the street 500 and 750's with cobwebs on the dealer floors, they can't give those things away.

You bought a blank slate. The aftermarket is the only answer to keep you from breaking down. If it weren't for S&S HD would have been gone decades ago.
Someone is going to come up with a fix for sumping, the moco will replicate it and claim it as their own. The same day Fueling comes out with the new oil pump for their cam plate I'll order it and install my new cam.
If you want it done right, don't leave it up to the moco. It's a blank slate for the aftermarket, end of story.
According to Harley the street series is selling like mad and the millennials love them hence all the new design HD's. IMHO sales are down not because the millennials are not buying, it is because of this whole warranty issue with the m8. The problems with the engine and not being able to make it the Harley of past without voiding the warranty bugs the faithful. I have rode them and to me not much difference than the metrics not saying that in a bad way but with the metrics you can modify it and not have to worry about warranty issues because 90 percent of the time you wont need it. With the m8 you are gambling and most buy the extended warranty and are not happy with a stock bike or just say screw it and void it right away. i am going to wait it out and see if they fix the issue over the next few years before i part with my cash.

Old 12-09-2017, 09:18 AM
Tortoise98
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,258 Likes on 832 Posts

Originally Posted by GRWHD
I know this is in the M8 section, but I would expect this includes the 17 Twin Cams also?
Or am I wrong?
I can't be certain, but I assume so. It seemed to be model year specific.

Old 12-09-2017, 09:37 AM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,991 Likes on 1,693 Posts

Originally Posted by GRWHD
I know this is in the M8 section, but I would expect this includes the 17 Twin Cams also?
Or am I wrong?
Originally Posted by Tortoise98
I can't be certain, but I assume so. It seemed to be model year specific.
All 2017 and newer:

"No later than December 31, 2016, Defendants shall ensure that their warranty policies and product literature state that Defendants will deny warranty claims for functional defects of powertrain components for any Harley-Davidson vehicle, Model Year 2017 or later, that was tuned using a Tuning Product that was not covered by a California ARB Executive Order, or otherwise approved by EPA."

Quick Reply: REAL "warranty denied" instances