Sponsored by:

REAL "warranty denied" instances

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2017, 05:49 PM
purpledeuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 642 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by GFVIII
When I first read this, I thought it was a funny joke. As I read on, I see it is a real issue! I never would have thought a trailer hitch would void a warranty!!
Is been that way for a very long time. The added towing weight could kill the tranny or motor fast. I can agree with them voiding a warranty for that. The MOCO has always reserved the right to void a warranty at will. With their loss of business over the last few years and the big EPA fine they changed course a bit. They’re doing everything they can to keep their money.

Old 12-03-2017, 07:27 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,664 Likes on 946 Posts

The consent decree and the fine associated with it were extremely gentle on Harley. That gentleness was and is contingent on them not repeating the illegal activity.

Harley made hundreds of millions of dollars selling the illegal tuners. The reader can estimate for themselves the total take when air cleaners, exhaust, engine parts and installation are factored in.

A $9M fine is not nearly as significant to Harley as the denial of the ongoing illegal tuner business. For perspective, the fine is equivalent to a person with a $100K income being fined $150 for a traffic violation.

Old 12-04-2017, 12:12 PM
Tortoise98
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,258 Likes on 832 Posts

When I got my 2017 CVO Liimited I knew the stock pipes had to go but had heard about the much more rigid warranty issues. My dealer said it would not void the warranty as long as I put an SESP tuner on at the same time, regardless of brand of slip on. Aftermarket headpipe immediately voided the warranty. Later I was told that every bike that comes in that is '17 or newer gets a visit from the digital technician to check for aftermarket tuner, regardless of what they are in for and they have had a few people get notified by the MOCO that they have voided the warranty. I'm pretty protective of my warranty since I ride 20k miles a year on average.

Old 12-04-2017, 01:51 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,416 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Perhaps some one should write this as an article, and see if it makes the front page.

Old 12-04-2017, 03:19 PM
GRWHD
Road Warrior
Received 256 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Tortoise98
When I got my 2017 CVO Liimited I knew the .................... Later I was told that every bike that comes in that is '17 or newer gets a visit from the digital technician to check for aftermarket tuner, regardless of what they are in for and they have had a few people get notified by the MOCO that they have voided the warranty. I'm pretty protective of my warranty since I ride 20k miles a year on average.

I know this is in the M8 section, but I would expect this includes the 17 Twin Cams also?
Or am I wrong?

Old 12-05-2017, 11:34 AM
jz78817
Road Master
Received 287 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyle Moore
and they also went after the diesel industry and sued EDGE for selling emissions defeating software, which scared all the other tuner manufacturers off.
GOOD. too many jack-offs out there intentionally blowing huge black clouds in people's faces. it's like these mental children think "since I don't have the stones to literally **** in your face, I'll do this instead."

Old 12-05-2017, 11:46 AM
SoCalHDMC
Road Captain
Received 160 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by FatBob2018
I just read the warranties in the 2018 Softail owner's manual, and the EPA Consent Decree. There are crystal-clear and obvious examples of when Harley can and will void your warranty, including (yes) for slip-ons and tuners.

First, in the Consent Decree, the EPA actually REQUIRES Harley to void the warranty on any 2017-2020 motorcycle if there is any proof that a non-EPA-compliant tuner was used to tune the bike. Period. So if you use a FuelPak FP3, or a PowerVision, or have a dyno tuner tune your bike, then yes, your warranty is voided immediately. Harley has no choice in this, the EPA requires them to do it. You can only retain your warranty if the tuner used is EPA-compliant, and for now that looks like it's only the Screamin' Eagle Pro Street Tuner (SE PST). Any use of any other, non-EPA-compliant tuner = immediate voiding of warranty, no ifs, ands, or buts.

Second, regarding slip-ons and intakes and such: the specific clause of interest (in the 2018 Softail owner's manual warranty) is found under Exclusions, section 4. It says

So will a slip-on void your warranty? It certainly may, if it is an off-road or competition part. Which means installing something like (for example) certain Rinehart or Vance & Hines slip-ons which clearly say "For Off-Road Or Competition Use Only", can indeed void your warranty. On the other hand, a street-legal EPA-compliant slip-on such as (for example) the Street Cannons or the S&S Grand National mufflers, should not cause them to void the warranty. The exclusion specifically discusses off-road or competition parts. So if you're looking at a V&H O2 Naked air cleaner (which says it's not for street use) then yes, that may void your warranty. On the other hand, an Arlen Ness Big Sucker (which claims A.R.B. compliance) or an S&S Stealth intake or a Screamin' Eagle intake, those all claim CARB compliance and say that they're street legal. Because of that, they would appear to fall outside of this paragraph of exclusions. However, do be aware that there is a catch-all phrase in paragraph 4 that says "or has other unapproved modifications"; theoretically they could use that to get out of warrantying any bike that has had any non-factory modification so -- I'm not guaranteeing they WON'T void your warranty if you use street-legal non-Harley parts, I'm just saying that they definitely MAY void your warranty if you do use competition/off-road parts, and they MAY decide to void it anyway even for street-legal parts, although the P.R. fallout would be pretty bad if they did. My reading of it says that you are on solid ground to use Harley Screamin' Eagle parts, and I think the ground is solid enough to use street-legal parts to the point where I'm going to install the S&S Grand Nationals, and do not expect to encounter any warranty issue. Just: if you use non-street-legal parts, you should not be surprised to find your warranty voided. Common sense, really.

So if you want to keep your warranty intact, the rules of thumb to follow appear to be:
1) avoid any product that says "off-road only" or "not for street use". That includes intakes, slip-ons, headers, complete exhaust systems, camshafts, anything. My brief check of the Rineharts, V&H Short Shots, and Neighbor Haters show them as all "not for street use", so they're potential warranty voiders. There are some (like the Screamin' Eagle or the S&S Grand National) that do say they are 50-state legal, so you have to check with the manufacturer to know for sure.

2) only ever get tuned using a "compliant" tuner (which pretty much means the SE PST only). Any other tuning services or products (yes, including the very popular PowerVision, the FuelMoto maps, the V&H FP3 and its maps, and even your local performance shop's dyno tuner guy) all cause immediate voiding of the warranty. Note that it is possible that some of these products or services might come out with an EPA-compliant 50-state-legal version someday, at which point those would be safe to use and retain the warranty, but as of the time of this writing I think that the only tuning product or service that you're safe to use is the SE PST.
Well written ⬆️.

Old 12-05-2017, 12:03 PM
jz78817
Road Master
Received 287 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalHDMC
Well written ⬆️.
and they wouldn't have ever had to deal with this mess if they hadn't permitted dealers to modify new bikes before the buyer even took them home. Ford Racing sells performance parts for e.g. the Mustang and Focus/Fiesta ST, but the dealer will only install the 50-state compliant ones for you. They won't install the "for off-road/competition use only" ones.

Old 12-05-2017, 01:29 PM
<G Man>
Cruiser
Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by teedoff65
Thanks guys for adhering to my request for keeping this threat ONLY for ppl that have had denied warranty claims.....

I think I'll start another one and make it a poll!

Presumably, anyone who has a real story to tell will be someone who has never read any of this thread. The title still states your "purpose", so if someone comes along with a real example then maybe they will post it.

If you want to limit the answers that people can give, then do a poll, like you suggest. Then you wouldn't have to read what people are posting.

My bet is that as soon as someone has a warranty denied, they will immediately go to all of the bike forums and post a brand new thread bitching about it and likely not go looking for this thread to let you know.

Old 12-05-2017, 01:54 PM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,526 Likes on 1,089 Posts

Originally Posted by <G Man>
Presumably, anyone who has a real story to tell will be someone who has never read any of this thread. The title still states your "purpose", so if someone comes along with a real example then maybe they will post it.

If you want to limit the answers that people can give, then do a poll, like you suggest. Then you wouldn't have to read what people are posting.

My bet is that as soon as someone has a warranty denied, they will immediately go to all of the bike forums and post a brand new thread bitching about it and likely not go looking for this thread to let you know.

Well it was my attempt at collecting real non corrupted data so ppl and myself could actually see instances without having to parse through 400 reply long post after post in order to extrapolate the data. AND not having to also glean through a lot of speculation as to what will be denied or what constitutes a denial.

Also, I did start a poll.....I think it got lost AND sidetracked as well. Not sure you can limit replies to ONLY a poll selection and not allow posters to comment.

What was I thinking....

Last edited by teedoff65; 12-05-2017 at 01:55 PM.

Quick Reply: REAL "warranty denied" instances