Sponsored by:

M8 Stage 1 - Is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2019, 05:39 PM
NorthWestern
Club Member
Received 6,224 Likes on 3,391 Posts

Originally Posted by bangdaddy
Wrong! ...I've only found TAB will give you that sound back....I went with TAB only because my friend installed them on his 2019 limited and I fell in love. My Cobra's cost me $425.00 and their sitting in my garage. The TAB cost me $600 and there worth it "if you want that sound". As far as stage one yes you will get better performance out of a high flow air intake and a tuner. Don't forget under the EPA rules manufactures must restrict the air intake so you will have less emissions . So if you increase the air intake and remap (auto tune) the motor yes you will wake up that M8 and you will get the sound and performance you had with your big twin. With that being said HD will not honor the factory warranty their reasoning is "why should we pay for something that we made (stock) and you changed the motor to make it high performance which is not the way we designed it and we're not making any money from that". This my friend is the facts
Who's wrong?

TAB is the only way to get that "sound"?

Do you have some proof about "restricting intake airflow" being an EPA mandate that they must follow? They can only draw in so much air with each intake stroke, so I am seriously confused about why adding a SE Ventilator would allow more air, changing emissions, on an otherwise stock engine.

Last edited by NorthWestern; 11-20-2019 at 05:40 PM.
Old 11-22-2019, 03:40 PM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,526 Likes on 1,089 Posts

Originally Posted by NorthWestern
Who's wrong?

TAB is the only way to get that "sound"?

Do you have some proof about "restricting intake airflow" being an EPA mandate that they must follow? They can only draw in so much air with each intake stroke, so I am seriously confused about why adding a SE Ventilator would allow more air, changing emissions, on an otherwise stock engine.
Also, he used a "they're, their, or there" in two instances and both were the wrong choice. lol

Last edited by teedoff65; 11-22-2019 at 03:43 PM.
Old 11-22-2019, 03:49 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,349 Likes on 4,769 Posts

Originally Posted by teedoff65
Also, he used a "they're, their, or there" in two instances and both were the wrong choice. lol

The following 2 users liked this post by mjwebb:
bradsULtd (11-24-2019), teedoff65 (11-22-2019)
Old 11-24-2019, 01:30 AM
NorthWestern
Club Member
Received 6,224 Likes on 3,391 Posts

Originally Posted by teedoff65
LOL. I am dying to hear about the EPA restrictions on intake air.

Old 11-24-2019, 02:39 AM
Agoober
Banned
Received 1,009 Likes on 714 Posts

An air cleaner and mufflers you'll use down the track anyway so they're going to be bought anyways, the only downside is the SE tuner for warranty it's not anywhere near as capable as aftermarket,if you're going SE stages it'll work so buy the stage 1 early, build on that as you go along stay with warranty for 2 years, go Stage 2 or 3 or 4 if you want that tuner will deal with it , buy another tuner after warranty...

Peace.

Old 11-24-2019, 06:45 AM
transman
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Lot of information in this thread. I have a question. I have a 2019 Ultra. Going with the HD stage 2. Torque cam, Cannons and I am trying to decide which air cleaner to use. I like the stock looking wedge style. But will work the best? I wish I knew which filter they used setting their map download. Any clues? Thanks just asking!

Old 11-24-2019, 07:10 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by transman
Lot of information in this thread. I have a question. I have a 2019 Ultra. Going with the HD stage 2. Torque cam, Cannons and I am trying to decide which air cleaner to use. I like the stock looking wedge style. But will work the best? I wish I knew which filter they used setting their map download. Any clues? Thanks just asking!
they'll all perform close enough and good enough for SE Stage 2..make your decision on looks preference, whether or not you care about maybe having to deal with a using a rain sock, how much intake noise, do they interfere with you leg touching and price if that matters. we used the SE Hi Flow for best weather protection, least expensive and they weren't noisy

Old 11-24-2019, 09:15 AM
transman
Cruiser

Funny you said that. I have been watching John Maxwell videos all morning. He said the same thing about style and fit. More importantly he said on a stage 2 their was only a 3 horsepower difference between the wedge style and the extreme air cleaners. Did you do a stage 2 on your bike? Did you do just the map or a dyno tune? Numbers?

Old 11-24-2019, 09:34 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by transman
Funny you said that. I have been watching John Maxwell videos all morning. He said the same thing about style and fit. More importantly he said on a stage 2 their was only a 3 horsepower difference between the wedge style and the extreme air cleaners. Did you do a stage 2 on your bike? Did you do just the map or a dyno tune? Numbers?
no Stage 2 on my 107, just dyno tuned Stage 1...done Stage 2 and 3 on previous bikes and have been in less is more mode to the point of leaving my 114 stock cuz it is every bit as powerful as the Stage 2 103 I had if not more, certainly runs better anyway and more enjoyable to ride..if numbers are important to you there's tons of dyno performance threads all over this forum

back to your AC question...remember, before these new SE Extreme ACs were recently introduced (and in their description states supports engine builds to 150 HP +) all the other AC offerings are good enough for their Stage 4 engine performance build kits so just rest assured all will be more than enough for any Stage 2 obviously

Last edited by mjwebb; 11-24-2019 at 10:14 AM.
Old 11-24-2019, 10:29 AM
transman
Cruiser

I plan on stopping at a stage 2. Previous 2013 Street Glide I stopped at Stage 1. I have 5 years of warranty to live thru.

The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (11-24-2019)

Quick Reply: M8 Stage 1 - Is it worth it?