Sponsored by:

M8 Stage 1 - Is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 06:43 PM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,526 Likes on 1,089 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
yeah I did it when I first put the canons on just to err on the side of caution despite their inconsistent message..then did the AC and tuner on the dyno and glad I did..thing is prior to the M8 they always consistently listed ALL their SE mufflers as No ECM Recalibration required..they just need to figure out their contradicting documentation after this long, shouldn't be that difficult
Marketing ploy to sell tuners earlier? I got the mk45s and not once did the say it needed a recal. Put them on. If it runs good you're done. If not get a tuner and tune it.

Old 02-15-2018, 06:50 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,349 Likes on 4,769 Posts

Originally Posted by teedoff65
Marketing ploy to sell tuners earlier? I got the mk45s and not once did the say it needed a recal. Put them on. If it runs good you're done. If not get a tuner and tune it.
amen, nuff said

Old 02-15-2018, 07:48 PM
talkingrock
Road Warrior
Received 437 Likes on 292 Posts

The stage 1 helps but don’t set your goals to high , the stage 1 helped our trike for the amount of the cost

Old 02-15-2018, 10:15 PM
Cbyway
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 786 Likes on 467 Posts

I am surprised how many think the stock air cleaner looks crappy. I think it looks great as does the newer horn cover.

The following users liked this post:
Redlegvzv (11-17-2019)
Old 02-15-2018, 10:34 PM
badcooky
Banned
Received 473 Likes on 370 Posts

This http://www.dkcustomproducts.com/milw...-dk-m8-rpt.htm

was posted in a Stage 1 post by ThingFish .
It sorta flies against conventional wisdom but I think it's decent information .

saddlebag (01-07-2020)
Old 11-17-2019, 07:02 PM
Criello
Cruiser
Received 132 Likes on 59 Posts

my tc 96 (08 heritage) got the stage one to "help the bike breath" and cool it down a little

does it still do the same for the m8, or does it "run better" leaving it all stock (especially with all the computer tuning these days)

Old 11-17-2019, 07:58 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Criello
my tc 96 (08 heritage) got the stage one to "help the bike breath" and cool it down a little

does it still do the same for the m8, or does it "run better" leaving it all stock (especially with all the computer tuning these days)
up until I just got my new 114 I always felt at least a Stage 1 was well worth it..no longer feel that way..loving my 'Free Stage None'

Heritage07 (11-27-2019)
Old 11-17-2019, 08:06 PM
Redlegvzv
Stellar HDF Member
Received 691 Likes on 381 Posts

I did a dealer Stage 1 with A/C and TBR slip-ons. Wouldn't say that it was a huge change but I really really like the sound -- a nice low rumble and a loud growl when accelerating. The bike runs pretty darned cool compared to my old 103 Twin Cam (which also had a stage 1). YMMV.

Old 11-20-2019, 04:46 PM
bangdaddy
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wrong! Use TAB slip ons 4" with zombie baffles (This alone will give you the sound) and a Screamin Eagle high flow air filter and a tuner you WILL see a big difference from the stock M8. I 1st put on Cobra neighbor haters and no that sound isn't there, it's because the M8 has 8 valves unlike the big twin the M8 having those 8 valves is a smoother running motor and you lose a lot of that HD sound we all love and want. I've only found TAB will give you that sound back. I did hear "Boneshaker" will give you that sound but I went with TAB only because my friend installed them on his 2019 limited and I fell in love. My Cobra's cost me $425.00 and their sitting in my garage. The TAB cost me $600 and there worth it "if you want that sound". As far as stage one yes you will get better performance out of a high flow air intake and a tuner. Don't forget under the EPA rules manufactures must restrict the air intake so you will have less emissions. So if you increase the air intake and remap (auto tune) the motor yes you will wake up that M8 and you will get the sound and performance you had with your big twin. With that being said HD will not honor the factory warranty their reasoning is "why should we pay for something that we made (stock) and you changed the motor to make it high performance which is not the way we designed it and we're not making any money from that". This my friend is the facts

Old 11-20-2019, 05:04 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by bangdaddy
Wrong! Use TAB slip ons 4" with zombie baffles (This alone will give you the sound) and a Screamin Eagle high flow air filter and a tuner you WILL see a big difference from the stock M8. I 1st put on Cobra neighbor haters and no that sound isn't there, it's because the M8 has 8 valves unlike the big twin the M8 having those 8 valves is a smoother running motor and you lose a lot of that HD sound we all love and want. I've only found TAB will give you that sound back. I did hear "Boneshaker" will give you that sound but I went with TAB only because my friend installed them on his 2019 limited and I fell in love. My Cobra's cost me $425.00 and their sitting in my garage. The TAB cost me $600 and there worth it "if you want that sound". As far as stage one yes you will get better performance out of a high flow air intake and a tuner. Don't forget under the EPA rules manufactures must restrict the air intake so you will have less emissions. So if you increase the air intake and remap (auto tune) the motor yes you will wake up that M8 and you will get the sound and performance you had with your big twin. With that being said HD will not honor the factory warranty their reasoning is "why should we pay for something that we made (stock) and you changed the motor to make it high performance which is not the way we designed it and we're not making any money from that". This my friend is the facts

Quick Reply: M8 Stage 1 - Is it worth it?