Sponsored by:

M8 Stage 1 - Is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 10:25 PM
RCS
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

(My posting from another thread)

I changed out my stock mufflers for the sound of S&S MK45's and my bike ran fine, no backfiring or loss of torque. However knowing MOCO "recommends" a tuner icw the install of their SE mufflers, and wanting to reduce the number of "data points" to refuse any future warranty claim, I flashed my ECM with their street tuner. Added one 20 minute auto-tune ride and called it a day.

Bike runs "a little" stronger now up thru accelerating to 5k. My AFR up to 3750rpm is now programmed between 14.5 to 14.3 from the street tuner stage 1 graph so I "know" I'm not running 14.6AFR (or higher) from a stock tune. Since I kept my stock air filter my engine is not "leaned out" from the higher air cfm flow and is running cooler then stock. Did I lose a couple pounds of HP/TQ by not adding a hi-flow...yep. But it is a touring bike and the 80hp/100tq neighborhood works just fine for me and my riding.

regards,

The following users liked this post:
JHC210 (10-27-2017)
Old 10-26-2017, 10:58 PM
lyork
Stellar HDF Member
Received 451 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by RCS
(My posting from another thread)

I changed out my stock mufflers for the sound of S&S MK45's and my bike ran fine, no backfiring or loss of torque. However knowing MOCO "recommends" a tuner icw the install of their SE mufflers, and wanting to reduce the number of "data points" to refuse any future warranty claim, I flashed my ECM with their street tuner. Added one 20 minute auto-tune ride and called it a day.

Bike runs "a little" stronger now up thru accelerating to 5k. My AFR up to 3750rpm is now programmed between 14.5 to 14.3 from the street tuner stage 1 graph so I "know" I'm not running 14.6AFR (or higher) from a stock tune. Since I kept my stock air filter my engine is not "leaned out" from the higher air cfm flow and is running cooler then stock. Did I lose a couple pounds of HP/TQ by not adding a hi-flow...yep. But it is a touring bike and the 80hp/100tq neighborhood works just fine for me and my riding.

regards,
And I think that's the most informative, unbiased information on the stage 1 there is. Slip ons and use the tuner. Aircleaner change or SE modification not needed.

The following 2 users liked this post by lyork:
JHC210 (10-27-2017), RCS (10-31-2017)
Old 10-27-2017, 08:23 AM
JHC210
Club Member
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RC's

I picked up a set of new RC 4.0's (for a steal I might add) and installed last night. Sounds much better than stock, nice and low/deep but not loud. They will need time to break in but the little ride I did last night sounded pretty good.

Old 10-30-2017, 11:11 PM
DanBO18
Tourer
Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts

I went straight to Stage II (torque). All SE parts were added to the warranty during the first 60 days. The result is noticeably more power and sound than stock. Not earth-shattering, but bike was already powerful, so even more power is nice. And I don’t want too loud. Some of these bikes in town are obnoxious. Mine is now louder and definitely not stock sounding so I think it’s just right. Sorry I can’t say how Stage I alone performs, but I’m glad with the Stage II result.

Old 10-31-2017, 02:17 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 912 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by DanBO18
I went straight to Stage II (torque). All SE parts were added to the warranty during the first 60 days. The result is noticeably more power and sound than stock. Not earth-shattering, but bike was already powerful, so even more power is nice. And I don’t want too loud. Some of these bikes in town are obnoxious. Mine is now louder and definitely not stock sounding so I think it’s just right. Sorry I can’t say how Stage I alone performs, but I’m glad with the Stage II result.
I second this opinion. Same boat exactly. If you aren't tying to beat the 60 day window maybe add the tuner and pipes first. If you decide to add the cam after you will need them anyway...or just do what we did and go Stage 1+2 at the same time. $2150 including tax and labor is not bad for all in cost. A good stage 1 can easily run $1500 or more. Not that big a stretch.

Old 10-31-2017, 04:41 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,407 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Originally Posted by JHC210
I have asked in other threads, suggestions on slipons? I am not interested in Street Canons. S&S have decent reviews, RC's are good but I have yet to hear anything on an M8, stock head pipe. If you stopped at adding slipons and are happy with sound/performance, which ones did you install? Not looking to redline the Low or travel 100 mph either.
I am running VH 4" eliminators. I have heard the RC's and the S&S. They all sound somewhat similar just a subtle variation on tone. None of them are loud. I just went with those the tuner and the K&N in the stock air box. Called it a day at that.

Old 10-31-2017, 10:13 PM
Teufelhunden
Road Captain
Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts

I have asked in other threads, suggestions on slipons? I am not interested in Street Canons. S&S have decent reviews, RC's are good but I have yet to hear anything on an M8, stock head pipe. If you stopped at adding slipons and are happy with sound/performance, which ones did you install? Not looking to redline the Low or travel 100 mph either.
I put the RC 4" slash ups on as well as the Harley Hi Flow AC that uses the stock cover on my 2017 SGS. I initially tuned with a SEPST and it ran OK, a little better than before, but not a lot. I bit the bullet and got a FP3 and installed the initial tune for the V&H rounds, then did a couple of auto tunes......MUCH better......

As far as the sound of the RC slip ons, at idle and cruise, they are only slightly louder than stock, but with a deeper tone. Stand on it and the do bark a bit, but not enough to be obnoxious. I have a Biketronics amp and 7.1 speakers and can hear the stereo clearly at 80 mph with only 1/2 to 5-8 volume....

YMMV

Lon

The following users liked this post:
JHC210 (11-01-2017)
Old 02-15-2018, 02:07 PM
Hagg22
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

i have the ‘17 RKS and I replaced stock mufflers with Kerker Stouts. Sounds better for sure but still far from older bikes. It only matters what you think of the sound. Might get a bit more pop from throttle - or maybe I just want to believe that....YouTube has a lot of vids you can check out on M8’s with exhaust changes you can listen to.

Last edited by Hagg22; 02-15-2018 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Beep?
Old 02-15-2018, 03:44 PM
Hagg22
Cruiser

Originally Posted by teedoff65
Just better slip ons will give the bike a little better sound than stock. Still idle is way to tame and quiet compared to previous models.

You would need a stage 2 with a good cam to get a sound somewhat close to harley's old signature sound.
so I've heard this kind of thing a bunch now. And maybe it’s true but you can get pretty cool sound from some 2-1 pipes without new cam or full stage 2. Check out the Danmoto Highwayman or Freedom Performance for Milwaukee 8’s on YouTube. There are others too.

Old 02-15-2018, 03:45 PM
Hagg22
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Cbyway
I think it depends on the definition of worth to the person doing the upgrade. I had the Stage 1 completed before I took delivery of the bike. I didn't just ad the slip on mufflers, I did the entire SE Street Cannon Exhaust system along with the intake and tuner. I can tell a difference vs. my brothers stock 107, but I also think my bikes and truck run better when they are clean and waxed. I know it sounds better and was worth every penny to me. To others it was a waste of money. Don't sweat what others think.
great comments cbyway. Mike bike sounds better too and rides better when it’s immaculate!

Quick Reply: M8 Stage 1 - Is it worth it?