Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Milwaukee 2018 Street Bob Clutch cable adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 10:40 AM
SomeOld Biker
Road Master
Received 268 Likes on 202 Posts

I like metal over plastic parts and would rather have clutch cable with the 1/2" 9/16" adjustment nuts. Never had a problem with the "old" cables if you keep them lubed "cable Life" lube works good.

Old 07-12-2018, 12:48 AM
YammyBase
Cruiser
Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by deni

Beware !
The yellow housing is actually two pcs. The (taller) lower section is thin and flimsy where the two pcs. join.
Sure enough mine was cracked from the showroom but cable still working. Since I was changing handlebars I replaced the upper cable with a longer one.
The yellow connector is included with 2018 HD upper clutch cables.
The new modular upper clutch cable with compensating spring is clever but the plastic connector won't stand the test of time in my opinion.
yeah.. true, i said this before but ill say again, there are too many plastic parts on 2018 M8 bikes.. not good.

Old 02-29-2020, 10:18 AM
PTBadAss
Intermediate
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Just moving cable to front of bars

Originally Posted by YammyBase
no worries, figured it out
just in case if anyone else is wondering.. following is how you do it. apologies for the wrong terminologies in advance.

1. undo the leaver from the handle bar.
2. pull cable slightly and un-hook from the lever.
3. pull white plastic cylinder from the lever and free the top of clutch cable
4. lift up the cover for the self adjusting bit (you will see yellow internal with red button.)
5. gently push the red button out from the back of the botton.
6. lift up the little brass tab upwards from the inside of the yellow internal bit..
7. gently crack and separate top of yellow bit (its made out of 2 pieces)
8. you will be able to push the cable down and un-hook 2 cables away from each other.

Hope this makes sense and is helpful for someone out there
I put 4” risers on my 2020 Sport Glide. Need to move the clutch cable to the front. Newbie to self maintenance so what do I need to disconnect? At the brake lever or where the cable ball attaches inside the cheap plastic yellow thing below? Thank you!

Old 02-29-2020, 11:24 AM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,926 Likes on 1,259 Posts

Originally Posted by PTBadAss
I put 4” risers on my 2020 Sport Glide. Need to move the clutch cable to the front. Newbie to self maintenance so what do I need to disconnect? At the brake lever or where the cable ball attaches inside the cheap plastic yellow thing below? Thank you!
At the clutch lever.

Old 02-29-2020, 11:32 AM
Superdog3:16
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 723 Likes on 443 Posts

What caused the inch of free play in the first place?

Old 03-01-2020, 06:46 AM
PTBadAss
Intermediate
Default Super newbie here

Originally Posted by OldMike
At the clutch lever.
Thanks for the advice but any threads with detailed instructions on removing the clutch cable from the lever? Need to reduce tension? How? Sorry to be a moron but this is the first I’m doing work myself on my bike.

Old 03-01-2020, 07:13 AM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,926 Likes on 1,259 Posts

Originally Posted by PTBadAss
Thanks for the advice but any threads with detailed instructions on removing the clutch cable from the lever? Need to reduce tension? How? Sorry to be a moron but this is the first I’m doing work myself on my bike.
I’m not at my computer right now but after you loosen the cable at the yellow thingy google the video how to remove the Harley Davidson clutch cable.

Old 03-01-2020, 07:42 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,538 Likes on 2,145 Posts

To disassemble: Pop out the red lock. Compress the adjuster to introduce free play. At the bottom, with a small screwdriver, there's a small metal tab that holds ball in a socket. Flip up the tab. Then pop the ball at the end of the cable out of the retainer. This separates the two half's. Assembly is the reverse.

Last edited by Mchad; 03-01-2020 at 07:44 AM.
Old 03-01-2020, 06:02 PM
PTBadAss
Intermediate
Default Thanks to all

Originally Posted by Mchad
To disassemble: Pop out the red lock. Compress the adjuster to introduce free play. At the bottom, with a small screwdriver, there's a small metal tab that holds ball in a socket. Flip up the tab. Then pop the ball at the end of the cable out of the retainer. This separates the two half's. Assembly is the reverse.
very easy with ya’alls help. The only pain was removing and replacing the clutch lever pin clip. The holes are too small for an automotive clip remover. Ripped it off with a screwdriver and replaced with standard automotive clip. And no need to remove the ball from the socket — removing the red block allowed enough play to remove the cable from the lever and relocate. Thanks again.

Old 03-02-2020, 08:47 PM
Agoober
Banned
Received 1,009 Likes on 714 Posts

Pro tip ,buy a spare clip before adjusting your clutch as they break very easily.

Quick Reply: Milwaukee 2018 Street Bob Clutch cable adjustment