Sponsored by:

Trans, there is a fix !

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 07:28 AM
103Eagle
Road Master
Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Tn.Heritage
It's all good Bad, some people's glass is half full and others are half empty, I get that but I really don't think I need to run down part numbers and work orders for some of these guys to believe me on this, either they do or don't. I don't even have the M8 but was only trying to give a light at the end of the tunnel sort of speak.
I already said I APPRECIATE THE FACT YOU ARE TRYING TO HELP! I also tried to make clear that I FEEL THE INFORMATION may not be accurate. Not saying an error on your part, just sketchy information at best and maybe misunderstanding of what actually was done. You are completely convinced this is the real fix. As far as I know, your friend is the only one to have had this fix done via the MOCO/Dealer, a fix that has worked for a number of miles per your account. Having the work order would certainly clear things up. And yes, having this problem, my glass is half full due to the lack of info from the MOCO, dealers being hesitant as you say, the lack of a real fix on my personal bike! I AM LOOKING FOR COMPLETE ACCURATE INFORMATION! You don't need to run down the part numbers or work order but I would think you should be able to understand why the work order would help the rest of us. I really hope it is a real fix as returning to the dealer every 1000 miles for fluid checks/adjustments is not a successful repair in my opinion.

IMHO, most of us come to this forum to learn, find good information, follow up with it and give the most accurate and complete information to help each other. Again, I understand you were trying to do jst that. I personally do not post info as a POSITIVE END ALL SOLUTION OR FIX unless I have facts or correct information including TA, TSB, or work orders to resolve miscommunication. I am not saying that is the only way, just my way. You have been trying to help but don't even own an M8 as you say, not that this matters. Maybe if you had one with the issue at hand, you WOULD UNDERSTAND our frustration and why we are so desperate for complete accurate information. Your friend with the CVO is the only one that I have heard of that had this fix (whatever it is) and was successful. That alone should explain the need to get to the bottom of it, getting the part number, or work order, so the rest of us can pursue this as well would be fantastic. Not going to debate it anymore with you. Gonna put a call into the dealer you mention myself.

Cheers Dude,

Eagle Out

The following 2 users liked this post by 103Eagle:
ocezam (10-28-2017), stixvrad (10-24-2017)
Old 10-24-2017, 08:02 AM
oldbuck
Road Captain
Received 351 Likes on 204 Posts

[QUOTE=jgos929;16749536]If you had it then you would have used it. The sad thing is when you misspell a word on this forum it either corrects it for you or underlines it in red to let you know its misspelled and you just flat out ignored that. My guess is you ignored it because you thought it was correct. Misspelling and speaking like that just shows unintelligence and makes you look bad. Y iz yoo pikin on hym cauz he kant spel?

Old 10-26-2017, 06:07 AM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

Look, whether I can spell or not has nothing to do with this thread, I just want the issue that you all, or the one's having the transfer, to get it fixed, that's all.
I do know the guy with the CVO has rode his bike 700 miles so far and no transfer. So hopefully going forward this will help if not eliminate the issue all together.

Old 10-26-2017, 06:22 AM
MotoJockey
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 3,259 Likes on 1,337 Posts

I do hope the guy with the CVO continues to have no transfer too, and not to be a Negative Nelly, but the first 700 miles after my Spacer/Seal replacement, I showed no signs of transfer either. 300 miles later, I had to add 4 Oz.'s of fluid. Not sure how or why it did that like that, but it's still continuing to transfer to date.

Old 10-26-2017, 08:55 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 267 Likes on 226 Posts
Question Trans, there is a fix?

Well, if true, that's gotta be GREAT news for those who have bikes with this issue! Also a huge relief for the MoCo, I'd think, depending on how much it's gonna end up costing them, of course.

When are they planning to start installing it on all of the affected bikes? Haven't seen anything else about it, so far, other than on this thread.

Last edited by jpooch00; 10-26-2017 at 08:59 AM.
Old 10-26-2017, 10:28 AM
103Eagle
Road Master
Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts

Well as I suspected, called Rocky Top HD due to the OP mentioned they FIXED a couple of bikes. Yup they did, put some miles on them and problem WAS NOT SOLVED! So back to the drawing board...........so much for "THERE IS A FIX"........

Eagle Out

The following users liked this post:
ocezam (10-28-2017)
Old 10-26-2017, 01:52 PM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 267 Likes on 226 Posts

[QUOTE=103Eagle;16770467]Well as I suspected, called Rocky Top HD due to the OP mentioned they FIXED a couple of bikes. Yup they did, put some miles on them and problem WAS NOT SOLVED! So back to the drawing board...........so much for "THERE IS A FIX"........

Eagle Out[/QUOTE

Oh well. Maybe next time - or the next, or the next....

The MoCo must be going with the ol' tried & true trial-and-error method of finding out what works and what doesn't. Guess that'll work just as well as anything else they've tried.

One down - how many to go, do ya figure?

I wonder if it'd be legal to start a pool on this forum as to the date they'll find/announce an actual, permanent fix? Maybe ten bucks per guess?

Last edited by jpooch00; 10-26-2017 at 01:53 PM.
Old 10-26-2017, 02:29 PM
Carlos3621
Cruiser
Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

FWIW,

I found this review at Amazon.com for the Baker DD7 trans. (see post date of actual review dated on Nov. 2015)!!

Top customer reviews

There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.

<i>4.0 out of 5 stars</i> 4.0 out of 5 stars
The transmission it self is great, neutral is always there The transmission it self is great, neutral is always there
By
Paul Paul
on November 12, 2015

I installed a Baker DD7 in a 2013 CVO Road King. The first thing I noticed was the migration of transmission fluid from the transmission to the primary. I spoke several times to Baker on this issue. It took awhile but when another person had the same problem they finally stepped up to the plate. I told them I believed it was do to the fact the CVO has a hydraulic clutch and the push rod assembly was totally different. A single bear rod compared to a three piece adjustable. The big difference is the distance between the push and the hollow bore main shaft. The main shaft bore is 3/8' and the push rod is 5/16'. On the hydraulic clutch the rod is just 5/16', but on the cable clutch it's a 5/16' rod but it has a 3/8' bushing pressed onto it. Apparently the bushing makes all the difference in the world.. They sent me a three piece shaft set up and a Baker hydraulic slave assembly. This took care of the oil transfer but adjusting the rod to their spec's didn't allow the 80 thousand or more shaft movement required to properly disengage the clutch according to Harley which causes rough shifting. You can feel every dog tooth trying to engage right through the shifter lever. The transmission it self is great, neutral is always there. I love the fact you never want for a gear. This experience has made me hesitate to buy the Baker DD7 for my new 2015 Street Glide. I've been trying to find out what Baker is doing to correct this problem especially since a lot more bike are coming out with hydraulic clutches but not getting a response as of yet...

The following users liked this post:
Thingfish (10-26-2017)
Old 10-26-2017, 04:01 PM
Carlos3621
Cruiser
Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

It would appear that this has been an issue even before the M8 powertrain (relative to the implementation of the hydraulic clutch setup).

Maybe this is just becoming worse/ common, due to the higher potential for vacuum, due to the smaller/ new design primary?

Old 10-26-2017, 04:30 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,954 Likes on 4,032 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlos3621
FWIW,

I found this review at Amazon.com for the Baker DD7 trans. (see post date of actual review dated on Nov. 2015)!!

Top customer reviews

There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.

4.0 out of 5 starsThe transmission it self is great, neutral is always there
ByPaulon November 12, 2015

I installed a Baker DD7 in a 2013 CVO Road King. The first thing I noticed was the migration of transmission fluid from the transmission to the primary. I spoke several times to Baker on this issue. It took awhile but when another person had the same problem they finally stepped up to the plate. I told them I believed it was do to the fact the CVO has a hydraulic clutch and the push rod assembly was totally different. A single bear rod compared to a three piece adjustable. The big difference is the distance between the push and the hollow bore main shaft. The main shaft bore is 3/8' and the push rod is 5/16'. On the hydraulic clutch the rod is just 5/16', but on the cable clutch it's a 5/16' rod but it has a 3/8' bushing pressed onto it. Apparently the bushing makes all the difference in the world.. They sent me a three piece shaft set up and a Baker hydraulic slave assembly. This took care of the oil transfer but adjusting the rod to their spec's didn't allow the 80 thousand or more shaft movement required to properly disengage the clutch according to Harley which causes rough shifting. You can feel every dog tooth trying to engage right through the shifter lever. The transmission it self is great, neutral is always there. I love the fact you never want for a gear. This experience has made me hesitate to buy the Baker DD7 for my new 2015 Street Glide. I've been trying to find out what Baker is doing to correct this problem especially since a lot more bike are coming out with hydraulic clutches but not getting a response as of yet...
Also the CVO RK has the dreaded slip/assist clutch in it. Bet it's part of the problem..

Quick Reply: Trans, there is a fix !